Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why not bring on Steele for the shout out?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Steele might have a decent record but Sanchez had a fine game and fills the goal far more. It would be odd to favour a smaller keeper in a shootout. All good penalties so I doubt Steele would have fared any better. Just a shame the one Sanchez got his hand on was so firmly struck.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Having a penalty saved is one thing, missing a target that f***ing big is something else !

Indeed, pressure seems to play a big role in penalty shoot-out success. Research shows that if a player takes a penalty during normal time, they score on average 85% of the time. However during a penalty shootout, players know that their penalty may decide the outcome of the match. This increased pressure and stress results in the conversion rate of penalties taken during a penalty shoot dropping to 76%.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
What did he actually do that was to far ?

Did Sanchez or Maupay deserve to be kicked in the back up at Selhurst Park last season ?

Both sides know their role in it but fans can’t be running on the pitch or on top of advertising boards to punch or kick players

Oh yes get in there. Liverpool tried to kick us off the park but we hung in there and what a finish from Mitoma. Just brilliant :albion2:

The church needs to sort its act out. Like your other post saying they are retired elsewhere, to me this makes the head of the church, God in fact, culpable.

Having a penalty saved is one thing, missing a target that f***ing big is something else !
It looks easy from the sofa, but I know that the best of players do it.. if any coach knew how to get them to always be on target he would do so.
Sanchez actually had a good game . To take him off would have been wrong . Would Steele be better , coming on cold ? I doubt it.
A positive I took from it…. At least we scored 5 penalties! Do you remember when we could never score a penalty. We have come on.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Penalties -- football's equivalent of a coin toss.
In hindsight I think I’d have preferred a coin toss 🤷‍♂️

Amazing how fans can turn, we were in Club Wembley, in what’s classed as a no club colours neutral bit, the banter with various United fans around us was light hearted throughout, until the winning pen went in, the bloke in front of us clearly with his son and his grandchildren, starting waving goodbye really patronising, clearly at nearly 60 and not having had a fight since 1978, which I lost, it didn’t cross my mind to hit him, but he behaved like a ****, and before you ask I don’t think I’d have done that to him if the tables were turned especially with his grandson with him.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I too was in favour of bringing on Steele for the penalty shootout. Fact is he has a good record at these things. Sanchez has a poor record at saving penalties. The truth is I fecking hate penalty shootouts and would have said the same thing if we had won. There must be a better alternative.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Would have been very disrespectful to Sanchez and he had no chance with any of the 7 penalties. You have to hand it to Man United, all 7 penalties were textbook

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Changing your keeper for a penalty shoot out might (or might not) increase your chances by 1 or 2%, but it's toxic to team spirit.

RDZ was right to stick to Sanchez.

Incidentally, how many times has someone missed a pen against us since we've been in the PL? I mean actually miss the target as opposed to having one saved? I don't remember it ever happening in normal time, though i'm sure it must have done. We've barely saved any either in the last 5 years either

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
I said the same prior to the shootout.

Everyone knows Sanchez penalty saving record is abysmal, so nothing to lose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here