Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why isn't the message getting through, driving whilst using a mobile phone is dangerous

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

jfs

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
Your example of calling the Mrs etc is fine, but many many people are on the phone for business / work reasons, which in many cases means their concentration is not on the road! its on the conversation.

True but even so, I don't think using a phone makes a good driver a bad one, nor does not using a phone make a bad driver a good one. I think it makes little difference. It's a small risk factor, comparable to having kids in the back, listening to loud music or carrying an irritating passenger.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You sometimes see ordinary usually retired people with speed guns and the smiley face speed displays. Why can't a group of retired people be given cameras and they sit at road sides taking photos of people on mobiles. Two photos are needed one of the person and one of the number plate. Yes many would get through but loads would get caught. Easy to prove if the mobile phone companies played ball.
Recent events would indicate there are nutters out there who wouldn't hesitate to do road rage on an elderly person sadly. So that's a no from me. [emoji27]

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Amazing how it's illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving, but TV reporters are constantly talking to cameras in their cars while driving. Seems to be setting a bad example, to me.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
"Where are the police?".

How many drivers do you think there are, out of interest, and how many police?

I think most of us realise the restraints of funding etc on our Police Authorities but I think many people would say that 'mobile' driving is just as serious a problem as drink/drug driving. We see regular reports of convictions for drink driving, and campaigns targeting this issue (one going on right now I believe) but so little action taken against 'mobile' drivers which we all see nearly every day.

Your thoughts?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I don't think using a phone in the car is very serious (I have hands free anyway but when the legislation first came in I would use my phone). It's not illegal in most countries! Also, the research that led to it being outlawed here was flawed. Drivers were asked to solve riddles on the phone while their driving was assessed in a simulator. This is far from the more usual case where a driver is just calling the mrs to says they'll be late home from work and in a real vehicle you are more aware of what's going on and will end a call if traffic situation requires a high level of concentration.

What is an 'unreal' vehicle? And why is calling the Mrs OK? You can still kill people you selfish person, you are out there with drink drivers in my view if you are not using a hands free kit. And yes I have had a hands free kit in my car in the past, and I still believe that it does affect your concentration.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I don't think using a phone in the car is very serious (I have hands free anyway but when the legislation first came in I would use my phone). It's not illegal in most countries! Also, the research that led to it being outlawed here was flawed. Drivers were asked to solve riddles on the phone while their driving was assessed in a simulator. This is far from the more usual case where a driver is just calling the mrs to says they'll be late home from work and in a real vehicle you are more aware of what's going on and will end a call if traffic situation requires a high level of concentration.

Well, if i had an accident while I was using a mobile phone - and someone got hurt - I couldn't live with myself. If you can, and your
post suggests that it is fine in some circumstances - then please keep doing what you're doing and suffer the consequences.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The research results I have seen suggests that it is the thought process required to carry out a telephone conversation that detracts from the concentration level required to drive safely rather than the dexterity required to hold a mobile phone whilst driving causing a problem.

If that is the case then I don't understand why it is acceptable to have a hands free conversation whilst driving - the hands free kit only addresses the minor distraction of holding a small object rather than the real killer.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
You sometimes see ordinary usually retired people with speed guns and the smiley face speed displays. Why can't a group of retired people be given cameras and they sit at road sides taking photos of people on mobiles. Two photos are needed one of the person and one of the number plate. Yes many would get through but loads would get caught. Easy to prove if the mobile phone companies played ball.

The only people who should enforce the law, is the law, in my opinion.

As for phone companies playing ball, In what way exactly?

jfs

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
What is an 'unreal' vehicle? And why is calling the Mrs OK? You can still kill people you selfish person, you are out there with drink drivers in my view if you are not using a hands free kit. And yes I have had a hands free kit in my car in the past, and I still believe that it does affect your concentration.

Which is fine and you're entitled to your opinion but there clearly is a difference between thinking hard and a casual call. Any driver could kill someone, are you saying all drivers are selfish including yourself presumably?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Well, if i had an accident while I was using a mobile phone - and someone got hurt - I couldn't live with myself. If you can, and your
post suggests that it is fine in some circumstances - then please keep doing what you're doing and suffer the consequences.

In fairness jfs did say he had a hands free kit.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The research results I have seen suggests that it is the thought process required to carry out a telephone conversation that detracts from the concentration level required to drive safely rather than the dexterity required to hold a mobile phone whilst driving causing a problem.

If that is the case then I don't understand why it is acceptable to have a hands free conversation whilst driving - the hands free kit only addresses the minor distraction of holding a small object rather than the real killer.

I agree 100% it is the talking /thinking about what to say is the distraction.....Phone conversations should not be allowed when driving !!

jfs

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton

But on that basis no one would drive at all. Risk is a spectrum and all I was saying was that, having read the research published before the UK legislation, I didn't find it convincing. Additionally, since many other countries have looked at this and other research and decided not to ban mobile use, I don't think my position is an extreme one.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
But on that basis no one would drive at all. Risk is a spectrum and all I was saying was that, having read the research published before the UK legislation, I didn't find it convincing. Additionally, since many other countries have looked at this and other research and decided not to ban mobile use, I don't think my position is an extreme one.

Which countries would these be then ?

EDIT - and this is an old list. New Zealand for example has now banned it.

CountryBannedNotes
AustraliaYesBanned in all states - fines vary though.
AustriaYesFines vary - up to US$22 per incident
BahrainYesOffenders face fines - possibly prison
BelgiumYesPhones can be used without a hands-free unit when the car is stationary - but not while in traffic (such as at traffic lights)
BrazilYesBan imposed Jan. 2001
BotswanaBeing debatedThe attorney general is drafting the legislation
CanadaVariableBanned in Newfoundland (Dec2002) fines up to C$180 - Banned in Québec (Apr 2008) fines up to C$100.
ChileYes
ChinaYesReported to be covered by general "good driving practice" legislation.
Czech RepublicYes
DenmarkYesBan imposed July 1998 - US$60 fine for infringements
EgyptYesFines of about US$100 per offence.
FinlandYesBan imposed January 2003 - US$55 fine for infringements
FranceYesBanned 2003, EUR40 fine per infraction
GermanyYesBan imposed Feb. 2001 - usage allowed without a hands-free unit only when the engine is switched off. Fine of €40 per infraction
GreeceYes
Hong KongYes
HungaryYesNot often implemented by the police
India - New DelhiYesNew Delhi - Ban extended to ban all use of cell phones when driving, including use with a hands-free unit - July 2001 Andhra Pradesh - Ban now enforced with prison sentences
IrelandYesBanned, with a US$380 and/or up to 3 months imprisonment on a third offence. Handsfree kits allowed, although that is subject to review.
Isle of ManYesBanned since July 2000
IsraelYes
ItalyYesFines of up to US$124 per infraction
JapanYesBan imposed Nov. 1999
JerseyYesBan imposed Feb. 1998
JordanYesBan imposed Oct. 2001
KenyaYesBan imposed late 2001
MalaysiaYes
MexicoPartialBan in Mexico City
NetherlandsYesFines up to €2,000 or two weeks in jail
New ZealandBeing debatedUnder debate - consultation being sought from interested parties
NorwayYesFines of over $600 per infraction
PakistanPartialBanned in Islamabad
PhilippinesYes
PolandYesFine of PLN200 ($100) - can be higher if contested.
PortugalYes
RomaniaYes
RussiaYesBan imposed by Prime Minister - March 2001
SingaporeYes
Slovak RepublicYes
SloveniaYes
South AfricaYes
South KoreaYesBan imposed July 2001 - US$47 fine + 15 points on the license.
SpainYes
SwedenNo
SwitzerlandYes
TaiwanYesIf the driver is using a reflective screen on the car, local privacy laws forbid stopping the car for violating the ban.
ThailandYesBill proposed in May 2000
TurkeyYes
TurkmenistanYesSigned into law with effect from May 1st 2003, by President Saparmyrat Turkmenbasy
UKYesBanned from December 2003
ZimbabweYesBan imposed in Sept 2001, announced via official news agency only though, so not confirmed

jfs

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
I was thinking of america, but I'm pretty confident that fewer than half the countries in the world will have banned mobiles.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I agree 100% it is the talking /thinking about what to say is the distraction.....Phone conversations should not be allowed when driving !!

What about if i was to be listening to say....pop master (quiz on music) on the radio in the car. Wouldn't that have the same (legal) effect.

Not digging you out for your reply, just wondering how far it should go.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I find white van men and women on the school run to be the worst offenders in terms of how often I spot them. Recently saw a woman coming towards me on the wrong side of the road with phone cradled in her neck and applying lipstick. She actually laughed when I hooted my horn to warn her she was about to hit me! Delivery drivers and workmen seemingly constantly checking their next call are the worst though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here