Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why isn't the message getting through, driving whilst using a mobile phone is dangerous

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A hands free kit / bluetooth device is pennys on e bay, even the very cheap ones are good quality, absolutly no reason these days for idiots to let themselves be distracted and be a potential killer to others, mindless freaking selfish idiots!!

And the amount of people I see texting while driving is just unreal!!

I bet if the truth is known (of course I have no evidence to back this up) many accidents / bumps etc etc are because of idiots using mobiles / texting etc.....

Quite agree, I have lost count of the number of women who have to text at every red traffic light.... Its really mean but they normally type a couple of words then give a quick look up to see if the car in front is moving so, when the lights turn green I don't go immediately, I leave it a few seconds and as they look down I pull away fast in to the nice long gap I have created. Always lovely to see them look up, panic and drop the phone and try to find first before the car behind them starts tooting...

I know it's childish but hey ...

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
How do you change gear, steer round a corner, perform an emergency stop because there is a cyclist in the way, and hold a phone to your ear for that ever so important conversation about what to have for tea tonight- all at the same time?

I haven't got enough arms.

Easy........You over Rev the engine so no gear change is required, use your knee to steer the car, you have 2 feet just use one of them to slam on the brakes / hit the cyclist theres loads of them, ..................you must answer the phone, your tea is important!!

The problem is that the police are prioritising! All the frontline cops I know are far too busy struggling to resource and attend just the emergency calls they get let alone all the lower level stuff so stopping someone on their mobile is way down the list when you can't even find officers available to attend someone getting their head kicked in or any number of other crimes in progress. Youve got the government to thank for that situation with their slashing of police budgets and officer numbers. In Sussex alone with officer numbers already slashed over the last few years you are looking at losing another 400 officers over the next 4-5 years and thats before you can even consider the next round of cuts with the government now suggesting further cuts of 25-40%! The fact is despite all the government spin, you cannot do more with less, you cant even do the same with less so dont expect any improvement on traffic offences being dealt with by police. In addition the police traffic departments are seen by many forces as expensive luxuries and all have seen huge cuts in budgets and numbers, there are some forces that dont even have a properly functioning traffic department any more. If you think its bad now then take a look at Sussex polices new local policing plan, many offences simply will no longer be investigated due to a lack of resources although they are not saying that is the reason why instead it is being dressed up as working smarter and being more efficient or some such corporate guff.

This, see also County funding for pot holes, grass cutting etc. Back on topic you can always use this website http://www.operationcrackdown.org/ to report them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This, see also County funding for pot holes, grass cutting etc. Back on topic you can always use this website http://www.operationcrackdown.org/ to report them.

Operation Crackdown is not all it is cracked up to be...difficult to remember the numberplate and even then it needs 2 different reports of poor driving to even warrant a friendly word from the Rozzers.

EDIT : I once had a woman driving RIGHT up my arse from Littlehampton to Bognor who spent most of these 4 miles odd, looking over her shoulder and talking to the kid on the back seat. She was so close I could not see her numberplate as it was obscured by my boot !

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't think using a phone in the car is very serious (I have hands free anyway but when the legislation first came in I would use my phone). It's not illegal in most countries! Also, the research that led to it being outlawed here was flawed. Drivers were asked to solve riddles on the phone while their driving was assessed in a simulator. This is far from the more usual case where a driver is just calling the mrs to says they'll be late home from work and in a real vehicle you are more aware of what's going on and will end a call if traffic situation requires a high level of concentration.

Good post. I really don't understand the hysteria surrounding this subject. It's a completely minor infraction on a par with doing 80 on the motorway, which is also perfectly safe as long as you're paying attention and driving according to the conditions. .

The claims on this thread don't stack up. Lots of people on this thread witness it on a daily basis, if it was that dangerous there'd be deaths all over the country every single day.

If the OP is having near misses then he should be take more care to anticipate other vehicles doing something unexpected.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Good post. I really don't understand the hysteria surrounding this subject. It's a completely minor infraction on a par with doing 80 on the motorway, which is also perfectly safe as long as you're paying attention and driving according to the conditions. .

The claims on this thread don't stack up. Lots of people on this thread witness it on a daily basis, if it was that dangerous there'd be deaths all over the country every single day.

If the OP is having near misses then he should be take more care to anticipate other vehicles doing something unexpected.

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/201...iggest-killer-on-british-roads-by-2015/53049/

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
After my last post I was thinking about what causes the biggest hazard on the road while driving. All of these things I find to cause more problems than people on mobile phones.

Not allowing people to merge into the motorway/dual carriageway from a slip road.
Elderly people who can't judge the speed of oncoming cars when pulling out from a T-junction. If they reacted quickly they could've gone, they wait, wait, wait, then decide to go when it's too late causing me to brake, then poodle along at 20mph.
Tailgating on the motorway is FAR more dangerous than being on the phone.
Undertaking on the motorway.

Why aren't there threads about banning old people from driving?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
After my last post I was thinking about what causes the biggest hazard on the road while driving. All of these things I find to cause more problems than people on mobile phones.

Not allowing people to merge into the motorway/dual carriageway from a slip road.
Elderly people who can't judge the speed of oncoming cars when pulling out from a T-junction. If they reacted quickly they could've gone, they wait, wait, wait, then decide to go when it's too late causing me to brake, then poodle along at 20mph.
Tailgating on the motorway is FAR more dangerous than being on the phone.
Undertaking on the motorway.

Why aren't there threads about banning old people from driving?

I find I have the opposite problem. Usually some twunt in a BMW pulling out in front of me a T-Junction after a cursory glance, seeing my Yaris and assuming I'm an old lady driving at 20mph when I'm actually doing 60. Then they pootle along at 40 and I'm stuck behind them (until we get to a 30mph zone and they continue to pootle along at 40). Guaranteed to happen at least one on any drive over 10 miles.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I find I have the opposite problem. Usually some twunt in a BMW pulling out in front of me a T-Junction after a cursory glance, seeing my Yaris and assuming I'm an old lady driving at 20mph when I'm actually doing 60. Then they pootle along at 40 and I'm stuck behind them (until we get to a 30mph zone and they continue to pootle along at 40). Guaranteed to happen at least one on any drive over 10 miles.

I agree with the sentiment, they are just selfish ar*eholes. I find they're quite often the culprits who don't regulate their speed to allow merging traffic on a slip road. X5 were the worst but you don't seem to see as many around now.

I don't beep, gesticulate at them or bang of their window though. Or take to social media call for them to be banned from driving for a year.

Jan 30, 2008
Some people think they have a right to use their phone because they're to far up their own arses to realise the possible outcome of their actions untill it's to late ,complete bellends
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here