Why is the Archbishop of Canterbury sticking his oar in?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Answer: NO he absolutely bloody well shouldn't be.

He is a religious leader (and don't even get me started on religion) so should stick to leading his "flock" of believers to the promise land (or wherever Church of England people go when they die)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
if the protestors dont go home - i will go home simples...

I'm sensing we might be hearing a bit more of that phrase from here on this season...

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The chinese are rubbing their hands at the thought of this tax, they've told sarkozy he can have all the money he wants if he gets this tax through, if cameron melts and he does, watch a lot of our trading disappear to hong kong.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
The chinese are rubbing their hands at the thought of this tax, they've told sarkozy he can have all the money he wants if he gets this tax through, if cameron melts and he does, watch a lot of our trading disappear to hong kong.

Just dont get it when there is cross-party support to suppress any european momentum to push this through that the Archbishop of Canterbury feels the need to go against the grain and support the idea. Headline grabbing, baseless and very very unhelpful.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
When I saw the title of this thread I though it would be about Rowan Williams suggesting we revert to a 4-3-3 formation with fullbacks bombing on to supply the width and two of the three strikers reverting to a five in midfield when we lose possession.

The silly old sod.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Answer: NO he absolutely bloody well shouldn't be.

He is a religious leader (and don't even get me started on religion) so should stick to leading his "flock" of believers to the promise land (or wherever Church of England people go when they die)

Worth doing IMHO. Maybe there's the odd banker somewhere he can shame into following a 'moral agenda' rather than just sticking their snout in the trough.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
BBC News - Archbishop of Canterbury backs new finance tax

Should Rowan Williams be getting mainstream media coverage with his views on something as specific as the Tobin Tax?
Hasn't he got other things to worry about a bit closer to home?

The gobby so and so loves the sound of his own voice,especially when he has a go at the Capitalist system that he appears to hate,despite the 'Church' itself being an extraordinarily, let us say, 'well-off' institution.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Worth doing IMHO. Maybe there's the odd banker somewhere he can shame into following a 'moral agenda' rather than just sticking their snout in the trough.
You really havent got a clue have you ? Do you even know what the proposals are and how they will affect the city and it's business? You're literally like a spoilt 8 year old threatening to scwaem and scwaem and scweam until you get your own way, utterly clueless.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You really havent got a clue have you ? Do you even know what the proposals are and how they will affect the city and it's business? You're literally like a spoilt 8 year old threatening to scwaem and scwaem and scweam until you get your own way, utterly clueless.

As long as it winds you up, my work here is done :wave:

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea

Maybe, but politics and religion should never cross.

Just look at Blair and Bush saying that their "belief" made them realise that starting al illegal war with Iraq was the right thing to do.

Well I "believe" that you should serve the best interests of your country and not of a mystical omnipitent and entirely absent God.

Sorry, I told you not to get me started on religion (though admitedly I have gotten myself started there really)

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Perhaps all religions should do their bit as well and start paying tax on all their affairs and interests,im sure it wont be too much of a hardship as the relevant god will provide the funds.......although i hear Thor is dead skint.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well I "believe" that you should serve the best interests of your country and not of a mystical omnipitent and entirely absent God.

Same. But having the head of the God people point out once in a while that corporate greed is not in the best interests of your country can't do any harm. IMHO, like.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Same. But having the head of the God people point out once in a while that corporate greed is not in the best interests of your country can't do any harm. IMHO, like.

Would love to agree with you Tom, but I am of the opinion that he should just shut the F*CK up and get on with bothering god, fiddling with kids or whatever he does on a daily basis. Perhaps he should write some new hymns, or baptise a lepper, or sew some of those nice cushions that you get to kneel on.

Whatever it is he should get his arse out of politics

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Perhaps all religions should do their bit as well and start paying tax on all their affairs and interests,im sure it wont be too much of a hardship as the relevant god will provide the funds.......although i hear Thor is dead skint.

I don't think he provides funds you see, because "he moves in mysterious ways"

Just like U2

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would love to agree with you Tom, but I am of the opinion that he should just shut the F*CK up and get on with bothering god, fiddling with kids or whatever he does on a daily basis. Perhaps he should write some new hymns, or baptise a lepper, or sew some of those nice cushions that you get to kneel on.

Whatever it is he should get his arse out of politics

I'm pretty much sure he'd rather, mate. But when there's ordinary people protesting about the corporate greed monsters in his own back yard, he's got little option but to get involved. Which IMHO is good. It can only advance the debate and make society as a whole maybe question whether we actually want these chancers in our midst, or whether they should be forcibly exiled to, say, Hong Kong.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake

Not sure it is in the best interest of our country at the moment to lose £20 billion to appease some cash strapped, jealous eurobods.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports