Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why is Illegal Streaming So Popular

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Why would I do that? I was quite happy to answer, and did. You could have just accepted my answer in the first place!
:) :shrug:
You didn't answer, though - I asked (genuinely, with no agenda or malice) why you wouldn't want to watch a stream - was it the illegality or lack of knowledge how to do so?
To suggest that you'd 'rather' listen to the radio, than actually watch the match, is a little odd....no?
Do you avoid the televised matches too, and listen on the radio instead?

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Simple. Because every other single country around the world can watch Saturday 3pm kick off games. The only country not allowed to is the country where the games are actually being played.
Isn't the blackout rule due to the fact the BBC have exclusive rights to show the saturday football highkights on MOTD ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You didn't answer, though - I asked (genuinely, with no agenda or malice) why you wouldn't want to watch a stream - was it the illegality or lack of knowledge how to do so?
To suggest that you'd 'rather' listen to the radio, than actually watch the match, is a little odd....no?
Do you avoid the televised matches too, and listen on the radio instead?
Sigh. Are you really that dense or being obtuse for the sake of it? You asked if the reason I didn't watch a stream was because of the illegality or lack of technical knowledge. The answer to that - and I gave a true and honest answer - is neither, it's just that I'm quite happy listening to the commentary on the radio. That is a fact. I like following the match that way, along with the match day thread on here.

As I said, I gave you a straight answer (genuinely, with no agenda or malice) - if you don't like, or can't accept, the answer, then sorry mate, all I can do is suggest you do one. :shrug:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Sigh. Are you really that dense or being obtuse for the sake of it? You asked if the reason I didn't watch a stream was because of the illegality or lack of technical knowledge. The answer to that - and I gave a true and honest answer - is neither, it's just that I'm quite happy listening to the commentary on the radio. That is a fact. I like following the match that way, along with the match day thread on here.

As I said, I gave you a straight answer (genuinely, with no agenda or malice) - if you don't like, or can't accept, the answer, then sorry mate, all I can do is suggest you do one. :shrug:
Indeed, or you can say why you prefer to listen, than watch? Is it a difficult one for you?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm not sure of the current costs, but, according to a piece in the Manchester evening news in 2021, it costed a UK viewer £27 sky subscription plus an extra £58 for combined sky sports and bt sport packages per month. For 128 sky sports games and 52 bt sport games.

Add to that £80 a year for Amazon prime and their 20 games.

That makes £1100 a year to watch 200 out of the total 380 matches.

How much of that cost is BT, Sky, Amazon mark up?

As the premier League produces its own broadcast media, they could market directly to the consumer.

I'd happily pay the same £1100 for access to all the 380 matches direct from the Premier League Productions, via a netflix style portal.

Surely that would benefit both the clubs and the consumer. We get to view all of the matches and each club getting a split of the increased revenue?
I pay £69 a month with Virgin for BT and Sky. That's all in, including broadband. Good for someone who likes cricket and rugby too.

I'd pay for an all Premier League game service. The problem is they are 'illegal' (hardly a crime that would see someone evicted from society) but they say the quality streams want details. I'm not handing my details over to any one of those.

It's the radio for me, alas.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
What is very ironic is that MLS matches in the coming 2023 MLS season (late February to October) will be exclusively on Apple+ this year. I'm not going to pay for Apple+ just to see lower quality MLS matches. I predict the contract MLS has with Apple+ will run it's course and then revert immediately back to local networks and ESPN or maybe Apple+ for a few nationally broadcast games.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
It seems you have a stalker!!!

For what it's worth ... I enjoy listening to radio commentary too if I'm not at a game or if it's not on TV (Sky, BT Sport etc). maybe something from my days listening to football on the radio back in the 1970/80s when there was very little live televised football.

I've never watched a streamed match either ... not because it's beyond my capabilities or it's illegal ... I've just not been bothered!

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
It seems you have a stalker!!!

For what it's worth ... I enjoy listening to radio commentary too if I'm not at a game or if it's not on TV (Sky, BT Sport etc). maybe something from my days listening to football on the radio back in the 1970/80s when there was very little live televised football.

I've never watched a streamed match either ... not because it's beyond my capabilities or it's illegal ... I've just not been bothered!
Not a stalker, just curious. :)
Maybe you can tell me why you'd choose to listen to (rather than watch) a match, unless it's actually on TV, when both options are available?
As before, it's a genuine question, not a criticism.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Maybe you can tell me why you'd choose to listen to (rather than watch) a match, unless it's actually on TV, when both options are available?
I'll give you one reply ...

This isn't something I've given any real thought to. I watch lots of football ... STH at the Amex and do some away games. But I also watch Worthing if they are playing at Woodside Road when Brighton are away and I'm not going. E.G. I went to the Worthing v St Albans game last Saturday when we were at Palace. I kept track of the game with an app sending notifications to my watch ... and also checking at other times to see what was happening overall with play, possession, chances etc. I would rather be at a game than watching on TV.

But as I also said in my reply above - I come from a generation where we got most of our football coverage on the radio ... and I often find radio commentary better than TV commentary.

So I've never really given a thought to watching some Brighton away games using a streaming service. Either I'm at the Amex ... or following Brighton away ... or we might be on Sky/BT Sport/Amazon Prime etc anyway.

As I said, I've not really considered it ... however, I'm a law abiding individual (sorry to be so boring!) ... so if the only way to stream was by using an illegal route ... it wouldn't be for me!!

That's my genuine answer!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe he likes to "do things" whilst listening to the radio commentary, rather than be sat in front of a stream ? Plenty of times I've happily pottered around in the garden getting jobs done whilst listening to Johnny and Warren. Admittedly this is normally the bookmarks of the season when the weather is decent, but not everyone feels the need to be sat in front of the TV for EVERY game.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I'll give you one reply ...

This isn't something I've given any real thought to. I watch lots of football ... STH at the Amex and do some away games. But I also watch Worthing if they are playing at Woodside Road when Brighton are away and I'm not going. E.G. I went to the Worthing v St Albans game last Saturday when we were at Palace. I kept track of the game with an app sending notifications to my watch ... and also checking at other times to see what was happening overall with play, possession, chances etc. I would rather be at a game than watching on TV.

But as I also said in my reply above - I come from a generation where we got most of our football coverage on the radio ... and I often find radio commentary better than TV commentary.

So I've never really given a thought to watching some Brighton away games using a streaming service. Either I'm at the Amex ... or following Brighton away ... or we might be on Sky/BT Sport/Amazon Prime etc anyway.

As I said, I've not really considered it ... however, I'm a law abiding individual (sorry to be so boring!) ... so if the only way to stream was by using an illegal route ... it wouldn't be for me!!

That's my genuine answer!
Thank you for that, and it makes perfect sense. As I said previously, it wasn't a criticism at all - I just simply wondered why.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Maybe he likes to "do things" whilst listening to the radio commentary, rather than be sat in front of a stream ? Plenty of times I've happily pottered around in the garden getting jobs done whilst listening to Johnny and Warren. Admittedly this is normally the bookmarks of the season when the weather is decent, but not everyone feels the need to be sat in front of the TV for EVERY game.
Oh, I concur, but I would have thought that watching an Albion game (when available) would take precedence.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh, I concur, but I would have thought that watching an Albion game (when available) would take precedence.
Usually yes, it would with me.

Previously I had KODI which, to be honest, was utter cack. The streams were woeful, it was a major pain in the arse to find a decent one. IPTV has changed that, so more often than not I'll be in front of it watching the game. But when the sun is blazing, I'm quite happy to don the bluetooth earphones and tune in to Radio Snooze for the game, with a view to watching it later on Sky / MOTD (depending on the result/performance...)

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Usually yes, it would with me.

Previously I had KODI which, to be honest, was utter cack. The streams were woeful, it was a major pain in the arse to find a decent one. IPTV has changed that, so more often than not I'll be in front of it watching the game. But when the sun is blazing, I'm quite happy to don the bluetooth earphones and tune in to Radio Snooze for the game, with a view to watching it later on Sky / MOTD (depending on the result/performance...)
Tbh, I'd far rather be at the actual match, but finances don't permit that at all, and I don't have Sky/BT etc. for the same reason. If I want to watch us play, I have no real option other than a stream, and I'm quite happy to put aside a couple of hours, once a week, to do so.
It's all horses for courses, obviously, but I do miss the days where I could actually be there, in person.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I pay £69 a month with Virgin for BT and Sky. That's all in, including broadband. Good for someone who likes cricket and rugby too.

I'd pay for an all Premier League game service. The problem is they are 'illegal' (hardly a crime that would see someone evicted from society) but they say the quality streams want details. I'm not handing my details over to any one of those.

It's the radio for me, alas.
IPTV dont ask for any of your 'details'

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tbh, I'd far rather be at the actual match, but finances don't permit that at all, and I don't have Sky/BT etc. for the same reason. If I want to watch us play, I have no real option other than a stream, and I'm quite happy to put aside a couple of hours, once a week, to do so.
It's all horses for courses, obviously, but I do miss the days where I could actually be there, in person.
Then I'd suggest the £60-odd quid a year for IPTV. And you get a hell of a lot more than just the football.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Then I'd suggest the £60-odd quid a year for IPTV. And you get a hell of a lot more than just the football.
Silly question (probably), but what's the difference between that and a dodgy stream - is it legal to watch? - is the quality any better?
I'm not fussed by anything other than the Brighton games, and plenty of sites available for *cough* other interests.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here