Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why is Dunk consistently overlooked by England?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not when you look at the careless, costly f-ups by John Stones in trying to play the ball out last summer in the Nations League finals v Holland. Stones had hardly played for City for EXACTLY those type of repeated errors that Dunk had largely eradicated from his game 3 years ago.

But Stones is a Citeh player (even though Pep doesn't play him), so of course he's better than the likes of some centrehalf playing week-in, week out for little ol' BHA in the PL.

Southgates done well overall of course. But he seems to have a blind spot when it comes to picking CB's. Which is surprising given that he was one himself.

Even lower league footballers don’t rate him and one has taken the piss big time (for those that haven’t already seen it)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50996322

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I expect to get shot down in flames, but I don’t rate Dunk, Keane or Stones for England. Each has clear deficiencies. Dunk was outplayed by Abraham, McBurnie and McGoldrick, plus he lacks pace. With Mings, he too has had many inept PL performances, but his stand against racism has sealed his England squad place for a very long time to come .... there would media uproar if he was shunted to one side.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I expect to get shot down in flames, but I don’t rate Dunk, Keane or Stones for England. Each has clear deficiencies. Dunk was outplayed by Abraham, McBurnie and McGoldrick, plus he lacks pace. With Mings, he too has had many inept PL performances, but his stand against racism has sealed his England squad place for a very long time to come .... there would media uproar if he was shunted to one side.

I don’t think anyone is saying Dunk is the best in the PL, but ok which 4 English CB’s would you say are superior to him?

I think that’s most of our points here. He should be in the squad at least.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Triple whammy. He is a Brighton player, he didn’t come through Southgate’s under 21s and Southgate is ex Palace

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t think anyone is saying Dunk is the best in the PL, but ok which 4 English CB’s would you say are superior to him?

I think that’s most of our points here. He should be in the squad at least.

Imho:
Maguire - not perfect, but outstanding in many England performances.
Gomez - now a quality CB, with pace.
Tomori - pace, groomed for the future.

Then the hammer blow for Dunk:
Mings - hugely overrated, but Southgate annoyingly loves the player & his stand against the racists sealed his place for some time to come.

Part of me also feels protective to Dunk, I wouldn’t want him to flop through mistakes and a lack of pace.

The injustice was the 10 caps awarded to Keane. He was awful, Everton fans think he’s shite, he cost England. They should’ve been shared between Dunk and Tarkowski.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
From the horse's mouth:

.“In the ideal scenario you want players that are playing in matches where they’re pushing to win trophies,” he says. “The extra pressure that comes with those games is what you have to deal with [when you are] with England. When you’re playing for big clubs, there’s a responsibility to perform every week. With lesser clubs, sometimes you can lose and there isn’t a big inquest.

“Of course there is one within the club and locally but with the big clubs that’s national. The profile is just bigger and it’s closer to what they face with the national team.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...gland-players-under-pressure-gareth-southgate

Can you find a quote anywhere from him saying this? I'm not doubting you, just interested to see it. Seems ridiculous, especially when he's picked players from Burnley, Villa etc.

There you go.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
There you go.

Fair enough. I guess there is some logic in his argument, but it seems incredibly unfair on players that play for smaller clubs. It's also odd coming from a man who won over 50 England caps when playing for Palace, Villa and Middlesbrough.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well done for writing something on there. I’m fed up of seeing them call Dunk a ‘rapist’ as it’s totally untrue and very vicious. I think [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] should look at this and CPFC (2010) should take action - or is. It’s a piss take.

Spot on sheebo. :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can you find a quote anywhere from him saying this? I'm not doubting you, just interested to see it. Seems ridiculous, especially when he's picked players from Burnley, Villa etc.
There you go.
Thank you Bakero, I'm too tired to think and didn't fancy finding it.

Fair enough. I guess there is some logic in his argument, but it seems incredibly unfair on players that play for smaller clubs. It's also odd coming from a man who won over 50 England caps when playing for Palace, Villa and Middlesbrough.
If it was the sort of thing he went with when all other things were equal, then fair enough (but then you wouldn't even say it). As it is, I simply don't agree with the logic. One player is performing better (maybe only a bit), but you pick the one playing for a big club, based on the idea that they might deal with the pressure better.

That is not the way for England to win a tournament. To do ok in a tournament, fair enough - pick decent players that are used to playing in pressure situations. But if you want to win the tournament, pick your best players (within you chosen style etc). If they can't handle the pressure, you'll find out before a major tournament. If they can, then you've got a better team.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Homophobe :ban::ban::ban:

:lol: fair comment

But the fact you’ve gone through a thread about Dunky and it was 5 pages ago to pick out those words is a little sad mate...

However... posting on a non franchise thread is against the rules as you know - :ban: ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The guy's an idiot. He's admitted picking players because they play for big clubs, despite them not being as good as other players at his disposal, purely because they're used to a lot of attention on a national scale. Where do you ****ing start with that?

Pick players on merit, and if they can't handle the pressure, drop them. It's not ****ing complicated.

He's not a idiot in this context (although he may well be an idiot). He's a liar.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

If it was the sort of thing he went with when all other things were equal, then fair enough (but then you wouldn't even say it). As it is, I simply don't agree with the logic. One player is performing better (maybe only a bit), but you pick the one playing for a big club, based on the idea that they might deal with the pressure better.

That is not the way for England to win a tournament. To do ok in a tournament, fair enough - pick decent players that are used to playing in pressure situations. But if you want to win the tournament, pick your best players (within you chosen style etc). If they can't handle the pressure, you'll find out before a major tournament. If they can, then you've got a better team.

This.

Miroslav Klose won 87 caps for Germany while playing for Kaiserslautern and Weirdy Bremen. FFS.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
From the horse's mouth:

.“In the ideal scenario you want players that are playing in matches where they’re pushing to win trophies,” he says. “The extra pressure that comes with those games is what you have to deal with [when you are] with England. When you’re playing for big clubs, there’s a responsibility to perform every week. With lesser clubs, sometimes you can lose and there isn’t a big inquest.

“Of course there is one within the club and locally but with the big clubs that’s national. The profile is just bigger and it’s closer to what they face with the national team.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...gland-players-under-pressure-gareth-southgate

I’d argue that the pressure that comes at the bottom of the league, fighting relegation, when your standard of living potentially takes a hit if you do actually get relegated (wage drops etc.) is just as large as when going for trophies.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

And Southgate isn’t even consistent in his logic (Mings, Keane, Tarkowski don’t play for top 6 clubs).

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Something else I've often thought is that if you are a defender or goalkeeper playing for a smaller club, surely you are going to be a lot busier, and therefore better suited to playing for a team like England, where you are likely to have more to do when playing against the top teams? More so than being a defender or keeper for Liverpool or Man City where you don't get attacked that much?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here