Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why is Dunk consistently overlooked by England?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Simply not good enough although didn't do anything wrong on his debut

Probably true. He brought him into the squad. Looked at his attributes at close quarters and probably decided others he had seen had more to offer.

Also probably stayed at Brighton too long.
Too many of his younger years spent outside the PL

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mings and Keane are as Dunk gets caught out of position too often hence having to make last ditch tackles which BHA supporters praise him for but I would suspect it is frowned upon by Southgate.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If only he played for Spurs.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Mings and Keane are as Dunk gets caught out of position too often hence having to make last ditch tackles which BHA supporters praise him for but I would suspect it is frowned upon by Southgate.

Your perception of Dunk seems fixed in 2014. You'll be complaining about the number of red cards he gets next.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
He just isn’t quite good enough. Simple as that really. He was 7th choice when he played last time. At the moment our defence isn’t playing well enough for Dunk to force his way in.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Said it before. The primary reason is, he plays for BHA.

If he'd got a summer move that made a splash in the headlines, then he'd have been in the squad. There is an inherent snobbery when it comes to picking players for England.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Injuries and loss of form will see others drop out of contention

Should he and us perform well in season run - particularly home games against top six sides then his fortunes could soon change

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
The odds are stacked against Lewis in a number of different ways:

1) Southgate assumes that, if fit, his three centre halves will be Maguire, Stones and one other. Despite the fact that Stones is a very good footballer, but a fairly poor defender. Joe Gomez will usually take one of the other spaces because he gives another option at full back. This means that there are a limited number of chances for others;
2) Southgate favours players who came through the England set up at youth levels. This is to the advantage of Keane, Gomez, Tomori, Stones, Walker, but to the disadvantage of Dunk and Tarkowski who have had better stats than most of the others over the last couple of seasons;
3) He plays for an unfashionable club. Playing for the top six is still an advantage. How did Smalling and Cayhill play all those games?
4) He doesn't have the promise of youth enjoyed by Tomori and Gomez;
5) He isn't being talked up in the press like Mings and Tomori have been recently;
6) He has a reputation of being a stopper and nothing else. Listen to the way pundits talk about Brighton and all you ever heard was Duffy and Dunk, two big blokes, blood and thunder, old fashioned defenders. His more creative qualities are overlooked by those who don't watch him every week;
7) He doesn't need to be picked to stop him choosing to play for another country: See Tomori and Mings;
8) A big club hasn't decided to shell out a large transfer fee for him, something that is seen by many in the game as being tested at a higher level. Keane went to Everton and got picked whilst his former partner Tarkowski got overlooked, despite his form being much better than Keane's;
9) He has had a chance and Southgate wants to look at those who haven't yet: and
10) Southgate, as Plooks so perceptively pointed out, is Palace.

Surprisingly I think points 1 through to 9 are perceptive.

Point 10 is bollocks, Wan Bissaka didn’t get a sniff at the full England squad until he moved to Man United when, miraculously, his form dipped, yet he was still called up the the first team squad.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
He just isn’t quite good enough. Simple as that really.

The Robin Martin-Jenkins effect. Which was great for Sussex CCC back in the day as RMJ, Kirtley* and Lewry were never picked and together with Mushy gave us three County Championships...

* Yes he was but very briefly.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Gotta make you question your cheers if we get one on Saturday.

There is an amusing cycle to things. We get the corner to loud cheers and expectation, then the corner is cleared by the first man to groans and people moaning about how we never beat the first man (unless it's one of those corners that go over everyone, in which case we always over hit it, or we always play it into the keeper's hands etc) then we get another corner and the cheers and expectations come again. People seem fully aware of how infrequently we score from corners, yet get their hopes up all the time.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Surprisingly I think points 1 through to 9 are perceptive.

Point 10 is bollocks, Wan Bissaka didn’t get a sniff at the full England squad until he moved to Man United when, miraculously, his form dipped, yet he was still called up the the first team squad.

Point 10 was a gag. Your lot are just as unfashionable as us. That's why Zaha is playing for Ivory Coast.

Ironically Wan Bissaka is the first player that came to my mind when BG wrote that Dunk is caught out of position and makes last ditch tackles. I find it incredible that United paid what they did for him. He is of little use going forward and needs to learn defensive positioning. They have paid £45 million for a full back / wing back with a total of three assists in his Premier League career. They could have got Kieran Trippier for less than half that.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The odds are stacked against Lewis in a number of different ways:

1) Southgate assumes that, if fit, his three centre halves will be Maguire, Stones and one other. Despite the fact that Stones is a very good footballer, but a fairly poor defender. Joe Gomez will usually take one of the other spaces because he gives another option at full back. This means that there are a limited number of chances for others;
2) Southgate favours players who came through the England set up at youth levels. This is to the advantage of Keane, Gomez, Tomori, Stones, Walker, but to the disadvantage of Dunk and Tarkowski who have had better stats than most of the others over the last couple of seasons;
3) He plays for an unfashionable club. Playing for the top six is still an advantage. How did Smalling and Cayhill play all those games?
4) He doesn't have the promise of youth enjoyed by Tomori and Gomez;
5) He isn't being talked up in the press like Mings and Tomori have been recently;
6) He has a reputation of being a stopper and nothing else. Listen to the way pundits talk about Brighton and all you ever heard was Duffy and Dunk, two big blokes, blood and thunder, old fashioned defenders. His more creative qualities are overlooked by those who don't watch him every week;
7) He doesn't need to be picked to stop him choosing to play for another country: See Tomori and Mings;
8) A big club hasn't decided to shell out a large transfer fee for him, something that is seen by many in the game as being tested at a higher level. Keane went to Everton and got picked whilst his former partner Tarkowski got overlooked, despite his form being much better than Keane's;
9) He has had a chance and Southgate wants to look at those who haven't yet: and
10) Southgate, as Plooks so perceptively pointed out, is Palace.

If you were England manager would he be in ? He`s good with Brighton who are a just prem team, No better IMO. All the talk about big team transfer,but it hasn`t happened !!

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
When was his last really good performance? One pass against Watford doesn’t count

Even as a Brighton fan I don’t see him as England class on his end of season form last season or this season so far :shrug:

Exactly
He’s just not quite good enough
Very one footed and capable of a rash silly infringement

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If you were England manager would he be in ?

Ay, there's the rub. If I was England manager I would pick him. That's because I see him very often and know his abilities and strengths. However, I don't see his competition anywhere near as often. That's why Wolves fans would pick Conor Coady and Newcastle fans would pick Jamaal Lascelles. BG has stated that he's not as good as Mings. My question would be 'How many full games have you seen Mings play?'

The same bias applies to the bloke who actually is England manager. That's why he prefers those players he knows from the under 21s. You'll note that I didn't say that Lewis should be picked. I just gave reasons that I consider to be factors why he is overlooked. Quite a few of the points I have made could be applied to James Tarkowski who I would argue also has stats over the last few seasons that should have gained him more opportunities than they have.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The only thing that baffles me is Keane being ahead of him.

After a good season at Burnley I honestly haven’t seen anything in the last 2-3 years to make me think Keane is better than Dunk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here