Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is BBC radio Sussex so precious about Prem scores?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought it was Alan Golds from Burgess Hill, I forget what his NSC name was but I think he ended up flipping out and getting banned on here for some offensive posting.

Harty

There was a couple of them. Suresh was one I recall and that bloke who phoned up and had totally uncalled for go at us when we were doing the show from orient ( remember how high the commentary bit was on top of the hotel) he was certainly "mr angry"
!

Do you remember when the bloke rang up from his farm and I think he was in the lambing shed at the time? And when the ladies from spearmint rhino were giving out free passes etc to all and sundry around the press box. Kuip's didn't know where to look when that blonde accosted him..lol

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
When commentating on a Brighton game in the Championship, why does JC go out of his way to apologise for reading out the Premier League scores?

'Oh I know people don't want to know football scores'.
If they didn't want to know the scores why the fook are they listening to the commentary of a freakin football match?
It's not like the two aren't connected.

It's bad enough the 25,000+ fans get short changed leaving The Amex for home matches.
'We'll be back to the Albion in a while, but now over for an in depth interview with the Woking manager'.
:facepalm:
Well I want to listen to the Albion commentary as I want to hear live commentary and the FL show only shows 5 seconds of our match, but would prefer to watch MotD without knowing the scores.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well I want to listen to the Albion commentary as I want to hear live commentary and the FL show only shows 5 seconds of our match, but would prefer to watch MotD without knowing the scores.
Fair do's, I thought those days died out with Bob and Terry.

One for the kids, there.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Maybe but Harty's phone in was world beating entertainment compared to what we have now at 5. I just do not want to hear about Woking, Aldershot, or anything from Surrey. To have to wait until 5.45 for Brighton coverage is appalling. OK we did have Bradford Bill on in the first half hour but give me Harty any day.

I could not agree more. Harty and the phone in were what made Withdean more bearable. Seeing him walking round the sportsman on match day with his SCR microphone doing vox pops with the local idiots, watching DTG lumbering over to the press "shack" at HT...hearing Hawsey calling the game from far flung northern dumps...ah, memories, leave me alone.

Jul 7, 2003

Me too :thumbsup: Since I'm usually around to watch MotD on a Saturday night, it is much more interesting if you don't know the scores.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I could not agree more. Harty and the phone in were what made Withdean more bearable. Seeing him walking round the sportsman on match day with his SCR microphone doing vox pops with the local idiots, watching DTG lumbering over to the press "shack" at HT...hearing Hawsey calling the game from far flung northern dumps...ah, memories, leave me alone.

Lumbering!

How very dare you

:)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Talking about the withdean days, I was talking to john -atilla -the last home game and we were bemoaning the current PA system effort and missing the music that john and paul played. Even if some was old punk stuff, at least it was not a set of bollocksy adverts.

Why cannot we play some music anymore? Is it another case of FFP not paying royalties for playing music or is it another planning condition?

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I'm sure I remember something about no loud music more than 15 minutes before kick-off as part of the planning agreement.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm sure I remember something about no loud music more than 15 minutes before kick-off as part of the planning agreement.

But there is no music at half time?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I don't know about music I'm struggling inside 1901 east attempting to get a beer and drink in time for the second half as we can't take it out again.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
When i tune in to listen to an Albion match thats what i want to hear,not the Premiership details that i will watch on Match of the Day,to be aware of the result spoils the program.

D

Deleted member 2719

Exactly why would anyone want to know the prem scores on Sussex radio listen to another channel if that is what your after. I like to hear the Albion match when playing away and watch MOTD without know what is going to happen, the guy commentating p***ed me right off when blurting out the result of the premiership at the end of the match yesterday WITHOUT any notice.

Stat i really do not see your point what so ever, i can only assuming you are fishing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stat i really do not see your point what so ever, i can only assuming you are fishing.
Nothing new there!!.

I did naively think missing the scores was something consigned to the history books, what with the information overload we have these days.
But my main gripe is the simpering why they go about it:-
'now I know there's a few of you that complain about us given out the Premier League scores, so you might want to cover your ears now, because I have the half times from around the country and we don't want to offend'.

That coupled with my other sour faced, grumble pants, droney moan about the minimal post match coverage we get once Aldershot, Woking, Crawley, Eastbourne & Worthing have had their say also makes me titsy.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Well its like what they do on the BBC News immediately before MOTD - they say if you don't want to know the scores, look away now. I think there are probably more than a handful of us that want to watch it without knowing the results first.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well its like what they do on the BBC News immediately before MOTD - they say if you don't want to know the scores, look away now. I think there are probably more than a handful of us that want to watch it without knowing the results first.
In fairness if you've got to 5 to MotD, on a media black out then well done, you've deserved that warning.
But having surrounded yourself with football for a couple of hours, earlier in the day, does seem to be playing fast and loose with the concept.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Am I one of the few that doesn't bother watching MOTD, because I genuinely couldn't give two shits what the scores are?!?!? I'm not a fan of Premiership football, if and when we ever get there, then I may be interested, but for now I just couldn't care less??

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
They could just stop reading the premier league scores out. Then he wouldn't have to apologise. They should only read out scores of local clubs and scores that effect local clubs. If you want the premier league results, listen to 5 live or Talksport. They should spend more time talking about Sussex's non league clubs.

And FFS, stop talking about clubs in Surrey and Hampshire. I don't care about Aldershot and Woking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here