Why Haven't I Got Any Tits?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
To be honest uncle jack, they're probably a bit low down with very little in the way of natural cover (trees etc). Birds need to feel incredibly secure when nesting. Might be worth putting a couple of feeders up and see if you can attract a few tits or dunnocks to feed, it might just give them that extra bit of confidence.
Agree with this. They are rather out in the open and exposed. Also what direction are they facing?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
You really do come out with absolute sh1t on here. How do you know what it was doing. Go and predict the weather, at least you have a chance of guessing that !!!!!

Is it your time of month or something?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Agree with this. They are rather out in the open and exposed. Also what direction are they facing?
They are south facing.
Dream homes Shirley?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think it's because they are attached to a fence...

In that spot they are too exposed and too easily disturbed. They normally nest in tree cavities so the fence won't tempt them. Perhaps if the the boxes were within the confines of the tree. Also place nesting material inside the boxes if its not already as I think they like to scratch a nest from what's inside the hollow.

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
East facing is preferred as it gets warm in the morning. West and south facing usualy avoided as the chicks/eggs can overheat. Doubt you'll get both boxes occupied at the same time. The hole size and depth are also critical. You can get the relevant info from the RSPB website. If there are feeders nearby this will usualy deter nesting too. Tits finished nesting about a month ago and rarely raise a second brood.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Doubt you'll get both boxes occupied at the same time.

I hope you're not suggesting they are territorial. Here's what our expert Jevs had to say on this topic "You really do come out with absolute sh1t on here"

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
South facing is the worst as the sun shines straight into them (especially due to lack of shelter around them).
Try putting them facing a different direction and see if it helps. Near some trees etc would also help.
I think I'll re-locate them elsewhere. I don't like the idea of them basically being ovens.
I'm limited for choice, but I think I could put them on an east facing aspect as suggested by Shy Talk.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Don't know much about our feathered friends but I do know that Jevs is actually an expert on these matters if that helps.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Good old NSC, even a thread as harmless as this can get someone typing away red faced & angry. Marvellous scenes!
Anyway, I was hoping to see the odd pic of a decent pair of tits.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Have you tried hanging pots of custard around the bird houses at night?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Don't know much about our feathered friends but I do know that Jevs is actually an expert on these matters if that helps.

So he would have us believe.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
So he would have us believe.

Don't know about ornithology, but I'll bet he has a better garden than yours.

attract19.jpg

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
East facing is preferred as it gets warm in the morning. West and south facing usualy avoided as the chicks/eggs can overheat. Doubt you'll get both boxes occupied at the same time. The hole size and depth are also critical. You can get the relevant info from the RSPB website. If there are feeders nearby this will usualy deter nesting too. Tits finished nesting about a month ago and rarely raise a second brood.

my east facing box attracted some nice perky tits

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports