Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Haven't I Got Any Tits?

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Long-tailed tits are beautiful, aren't they.

We put out one of the RSPB half-coconuts, the one with insects set in the fat, and they loved that.

Didn't have any luck with Niger seeds. Bit of an expensive waste of time.The small birds around here prefer the fat balls and sunflower seeds.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Had Niger seed in a feeder for nearly a year before the goldfinches found it but now they are there most days.
Also put out peanuts, mixed bird food and fat balls.
Regularly get greater spotted woodpeckers, blue tits, jackdaws, sparrows and the occasional nuthatch.
Just taken up bird photography as a hobby and the range of foods means I can get photos of a range of different birds.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
Trouble with Niger seed is that it is so small you need to use Niger feeders and only these have small enough beaks to use them View attachment 44758

I find that the tits tend to go for my fatballs or peanuts. Going for tits and getting finches can be a great disappointment !

I get the occasional Coal Tit take my niger seeds, but 99% of the time it's Goldfinches. I've got one of those long feeders with 12 perches and it's regularly fully occupied.

In another feeder I put a mix of sunflower seeds and sunflower hearts and EVERYTHING seems to like that - tits, finches, sparrows, nuthatch and even the starlings that are way to big to fit on the feeder!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Had Niger seed in a feeder for nearly a year before the goldfinches found it but now they are there most days.
Also put out peanuts, mixed bird food and fat balls.
Regularly get greater spotted woodpeckers, blue tits, jackdaws, sparrows and the occasional nuthatch.
Just taken up bird photography as a hobby and the range of foods means I can get photos of a range of different birds.

its always great fun watching the birds feed

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thanks everybody for the useful and thought provoking advice.
I'll keep you posted on developements.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here