Why HAS Dick Tight and his book been BANNED from the AMEX ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Profit - seems to be the driving force behind most decisions made.

Ummm, £8m loss last year; £8m loss forecast for this year too. Making a profit is so far from reality, it's laughable. TB and PB have both said that any cost savings/extra revenue generated will simply be ploughed in to the playing budget, keeping the loss at the maximum allowed by FFP.

It could be argued that stocking the book would generate extra revenue, thus allowing more to be spent on the paying budget while keeping the overall loss to £8m. I would imagine that the total marginal income (after the wholesale cost of the book) would be under £10k, which doesn't go far these days in a playing budget. If there are unpalatable things said in the book, it would be a perfectly reasonable decision to not stock it. If they haven't seen it yet, it's also reasonable to defer a decision until they have seen it.

I do agree with Bozza's assertion that it is sad if TB and DK have fallen out. Sad, but not unexpected - "The King is dead; long live the King" is a lot easier to deal with than "The King is deposed; long live the King". There will always be resentment from the old King and his followers towards the new King, especially if the old King still has a role that keeps him around (such as life presidency).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Ditto. I don't "do" books any more and if the trains I get to work every morning are anything to go by I'm probably in the majority. Seems very short sighted not to have a digital copy.

That's quite understandable, after all we do live in the digital age, but very sad none the less, l just love old books, not only the reading of them, but also the smell, and the look of them on book shelves, and yes, l'm proud to be a dinosaur.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I heard that he refused to allow the albion to vet its content and as a result he was refused permission to use photos from the amex and have it launched there.

If this is true, I think it's a bit unfair on the guy, cos like him or not, he was the one person who took a grasp of our plight and promised fans he would only release control when the right person turned up. To his credit he did this despite other interested parties.

I suspect that a lot of his problems with the club relate to the community scheme that he loved so much but was effectively taken away from his control. The community scheme got us the stadium approval - some people need to remember our heritage. I've no axe to grind with Barber but sometimes "he knows not what he does".

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I do agree with Bozza's assertion that it is sad if TB and DK have fallen out. Sad, but not unexpected - "The King is dead; long live the King" is a lot easier to deal with than "The King is deposed; long live the King". There will always be resentment from the old King and his followers towards the new King, especially if the old King still has a role that keeps him around (such as life presidency).

It's a role in name only, since he resigned from Albion in the Community.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It's a role in name only, since he resigned from Albion in the Community.

Yep, you're right.

Must be uncomfortable for both TB and DK though at games. Both turn up; they sit pretty close to each other. If there's any regret within DK for having to hand over to TB, and, let's face it, he wouldn't be human if he didn't have regrets, it's almost inevitable that those regrets will turn to resentment....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yep, you're right.

Must be uncomfortable for both TB and DK though at games. Both turn up; they sit pretty close to each other. If there's any regret within DK for having to hand over to TB, and, let's face it, he wouldn't be human if he didn't have regrets, it's almost inevitable that those regrets will turn to resentment....

DK also apologised when he handed over to TB because it was understood that no one man should ever own the club again, but that he had no choice.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yep, you're right.

He shouldn't have resentments though-DK always said that when the time was right, he'd hand over the club to somebody he could trust. Whether the handing over wasn't timed properly for Dick is another matter. One thing's for sure-both parties (TB and DK) have had enormous roles in keeping this club alive. I always got the impression that DK wasn't too keen on TB, especially when it was becoming clear that DK's influence at the club was waning.

As has been said before-it's a shame if there's now real tension between the two of them.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
I strongly suspect this book is going to be a brilliant read, even for non-Albion fans, and the fact the club are refusing to stock it only serves to enhance that feeling.

Regardless of its contents, refusing to sell the book of the man who saved the club simply makes whoever at the club is responsible for this decision look absolutely pathetic.

Bloody heck Badger, never ever thought I would agree with you.

THIS 100%

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I've got the greatest respect for Dick Knight but, to be perfectly honest, no interest at all in reading the book.

If he makes a few quid and gets a few things off his chest, good luck to him. I just hope he hasn't written anything that makes people like me think he's any less dignified and worthy of admiration than we assumed. That really would be sad.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yep, you're right.

The King is dead, long live the King. The problem is that the original king is not dead, he's been moved aside at the pinnacle of his dream. I can see why there would be ego problems.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
DK also apologised when he handed over to TB because it was understood that no one man should ever own the club again, but that he had no choice.

I'd forgotten that. He didn't really have a choice in the end though did he? Better that that one person was somebody with long ties to the club rather than an outsider, hopefully that softened the blow a bit.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Ditto. I don't "do" books any more and if the trains I get to work every morning are anything to go by I'm probably in the majority. Seems very short sighted not to have a digital copy.

Really? On the west coast line I don't think i've seen more than a couple of people with the kindle (or audio reader of any sort).

If it's the Brighton-Line your probably right though, most of the people on that line would probably pay £90 for a granny smith if it had an Apple logo on it

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Well, you could argue that, metaphorically, there have been a number culled since his arrival.

Are you talking about the cost savings that have been made, so the playing budget can be increased rather than reduced this season? Are you saying that wasn't a good thing to do?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports