Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why HAS Dick Tight and his book been BANNED from the AMEX ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Awesome stuff. Being out of line with the increasingly bullying tactics employed by the club towards its own fans these days is a badge of honour to be worn proudly.
I do find it tedious how some appear to forget DK's contribution to this club, BUT how exactly is not stocking a book because the club weren't given an advanced copy a "bullying tactic"? ???

I don't blame the club at all.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Still petty though, given what he did for the club.

It seems an inevitable decision to me.

The Buckingham Palace gift shop (I assume) doesn't sell Paul Burrell's book, or anything written by Mohammed Al Fayed. No business on earth would sell a book that they evidently expect to slate them.

I'll be interested to see what's in it (if slightly depressed), and we may well find there's some stuff in there about the Albion that we don't like very much. But to suggest the club are being "petty" for declining to stock a product which might cast some members of the organisation in a bad light, no, I disagree. It's a commercial business. They would look ridiculous flogging a book which was negative about them.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Once in advertising always in advertising, nothing like a banned book to ramp up sales, well played you (aka Dick)

Dick Knight, the Salman Rushdie of Sussex by the Sea.

Will there be a fatwa?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It seems an inevitable decision to me.

The Buckingham Palace gift shop (I assume) doesn't sell Paul Burrell's book, or anything written by Mohammed Al Fayed. No business on earth would sell a book that they evidently expect to slate them.

I'll be interested to see what's in it (if slightly depressed), and we may well find there's some stuff in there about the Albion that we don't like very much. But to suggest the club are being "petty" for declining to stock a product which might cast some members of the organisation in a bad light, no, I disagree. It's a commercial business. They would look ridiculous flogging a book which was negative about them.

Bad examples as both the people you have used have contributed nothing to Buckingham Palace. It may be naïve but I'd like to see the club rise above all of this. If there are things that they disagree with in the book I would welcome their comments, prior to it going on sale in the shop. It's certainly a unique situation though, the man who most believe saved the club, cannot have his book sold in the shop for that club. Maybe I should have said SAD and petty in the original post.

Would you think any less of anyone mentioned in the book if you bought it in the club shop rather than online. As I say maybe I'm being naïve here but I would expect the club to be "bigger" than this.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
And if Tony Bloom hadn't of stepped in, there would have been no Amex, probably no Championship football etc. So while its his club, he can do what he likes.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Bad examples as both the people you have used have contributed nothing to Buckingham Palace. It may be naïve but I'd like to see the club rise above all of this. If there are things that they disagree with in the book I would welcome their comments, prior to it going on sale in the shop. It's certainly a unique situation though, the man who most believe saved the club, cannot have his book sold in the shop for that club. Maybe I should have said SAD and petty in the original post.

Would you think any less of anyone mentioned in the book if you bought it in the club shop rather than online. As I say maybe I'm being naïve here but I would expect the club to be "bigger" than this.

I think we should also consider the fact that he still holds a position at the club. So we have someone still currently connected to the club, holding an official club position and who has written a book which the club won't stock - slightly strange. If DK was that bad surely he'd be removed from his position ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And if Tony Bloom hadn't of stepped in, there would have been no Amex, probably no Championship football etc. So while its his club, he can do what he likes.

Not sure I go along with the last bit of that, it was also Archer and Stanley's club once. (not that I am in anyway comparing TB with them btw)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I really hope there is nothing too anti-club in the book to be honest - a few grumbles fair enough, but nothing fundamental, please.

Knight is obviously a hero for saving the albion, and I really hope that legacy isn't tainted ( for me ) by openly going against the current club ownership to which I also owe so much.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Once in advertising always in advertising, nothing like a banned book to ramp up sales, well played you (aka Dick)

It can finally replace my copy of Spycatcher on the heavy bookshelf. I really hope it's less bollocks than Spycatcher.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not sure I go along with the last bit of that, it was also Archer and Stanley's club once. (not that I am in anyway comparing TB with them btw)

Sure, but if Bloom or any of the current board, feel aggrieved by what is in this book, then its their right not to stock this.

Its not like there won't be loads of places to purchase it, anyway.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

That's not necessarily true. We probably would have had a much cheaper stadium paying interest on payments, and not much to spend on players.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think we should also consider the fact that he still holds a position at the club. So we have someone still currently connected to the club, holding an official club position and who has written a book which the club won't stock - slightly strange. If DK was that bad surely he'd be removed from his position ?

I get that completely.

But just because he still holds a position, does necessarily follow that he's great mates with Tony Bloom and the rest.

If the club really were trying to write him out or "bully" him, as you put it, they wouldn't have given him a life position, or named a bar after him. Because they probably recognise that it would be petty.

Presumably they have some inkling that he's going to lay into some of them, and as such, they've decided it would be a bad commercial decision to stock it. As has already been pointed out, how many more of us feel like going out and buying it now, because we think there's evidently some sort of dynamite in there?

Winner for Dick, really.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That's not necessarily true. We probably would have had a much cheaper stadium paying interest on payments, and not much to spend on players.

OK, I thought the stadium was dead in the water without Tony, with us unable to get any affordable funding due to the banking meltdown.

Wasn't Tony's investment the last resort ? and the reason Dick had to give up control of the club ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There's going to be nothing anti-club is there? Dick Knight is as pro-club as all of us. There may well be some stuff that is anti-specific personalities, however.

Albion fans are going to buy the book anyway. Whatever it contains is going to be known to all within the next couple of weeks - you'd think in this FFP world we inhabit that the club would want to stock something that's a sure-fire seller.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I wouldn't be so sure. The stadium was designed, planned to the last detail, and finally approved. Then the recession arrived, and the price of steel, amongst other things, rocketed. You can't just change to a cheaper design at that point, if nothing else, you'd have to reapply for the planning permission to make such fundamental changes, meaning yet more delays and expense.

Dick Knight was the club's saviour at a time when we most needed it. He and his mates kept the place afloat somehow. Then times changed. We needed a different kind of saviour. It doesn't mean either of them are wrong. But I find it very hard to believe that the Amex would have been built were it not for Bloom's investment. The only way I could have seen that happening was if some stratospherically rich foreign consortium came in- and let's be honest, at that stage, there were probably fifty other clubs any such consortium would have considered investing in before us.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
they've decided it would be a bad commercial decision to stock it.

There's plenty of tat in that shop that could be considered a bad commerical decision.

Stocking something that will sell well would not be a bad commercial decision.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Maybe, however, at the time the banks were in global turmoil and not lending money to anybody-let alone a struggling third tier football club. There is absolutely no way The Amex could have been financed, we'd still be at Withdean and we most certainly would still be a financially crippled third tier club. As much as I have time for Dick Knight, the Amex planning permission timing would possibly have seen the end of the dream because he didn't/doesn't have the funds.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
OK, I thought the stadium was dead in the water without Tony, with us unable to get any affordable funding due to the banking meltdown.

Wasn't Tony's investment the last resort ? and the reason Dick had to give up control of the club ?

That's what I recall too. We'd still be in Withdean or sharing with Crawley without Bloom

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here