Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why doesn’t England get to host the World Cup?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The chaos at the last Euros final has probably put to bed any idea of England hosting a major football tournament for some time.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm not sure, apart from Qatar debacle, who the lesser nations would be in a rotation policy.

Europe's hosts since 1966 have been:

(West) Germany
Spain
Italy
France
Germany
Russia

The UK pulled it's bid for 2028

All of those are just as worthy and all held decent tournaments. I don't think there has been a host that hasn't done it well. Qatar was another matter. All of them have football history and heritage. So Spain, Italy and France have just had one since. All worthy candidates. As worthy as us.
They’re all worthy candidates but Germany have had it twice and Spain now get a share of it again. All those Finals etc you mentioned are UEFA competitions. It’s pretty clear FIFA - perhaps as a reflection of the world beyond Europe - does not want England to get the tournament. Given the global popularity of the Premier League, I doubt it’s because they actively hate us any more - it’s just that there are far more votes available from keeping all those other countries happy and a lot more money to be made.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The chaos at the last Euros final has probably put to bed any idea of England hosting a major football tournament for some time.
It hasn’t helped but we wouldn’t get it anyway. We don’t play their games

The Colonel

Sep 4, 2023
I don't see any issue with the US having it twice. The country is so huge it's almost a continent in itself. It's well worth another go, especially as the other two North American countries will be involved.

The only way I'd believe there is a conspiracy is if France, Germany or Italy get it again on Europe's turn before we do.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
We’re getting it in 2028.
Except we are sharing it with Scotland, Ireland and Wales so not truly an English finals although more matches in England.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
...by default as everyone else dropped out.
No. It was all arranged. We drop out of the WC running to open it up for Spain, Portugal, Morocco. Italy and Turkey drop out of Euro 28 after being promised a free run at Euro 32.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here