Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why doesn’t England get to host the World Cup?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
We have arguably the best and most successful league.
We are a football-mad country.
We are well-located for it.
We are ideally set up for it.
Some countries are on their second go since our only hosting eons ago. Eg America FFS.
There must be a grudge somewhere…..but even so.
Will it ever happen again?

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

Oct 13, 2022
The Highlands
We decided not to bid for the world cup this time around and concentrate on the European Championship. We were promised votes for the 2018 bidding process but none materialised. We don't trust Fifa. We have more influence with UEFA and Wembley is a cash cow.

Reactions: A1X

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We have arguably the best and most successful league.
We are a football-mad country.
We are well-located for it.
We are ideally set up for it.
Some countries are on their second go since our only hosting eons ago. Eg America FFS.
There must be a grudge somewhere…..but even so.
Will it ever happen again?
In the last 50 years, only Germany and Mexico (and soon the USA) have hosted it more than once. I seem to recall Mexico were only given it in 1986 because Columbia pulled out. Consider also that there are more countries/union of countries capable of holding and due a chance. It's hardly a conspiracy. Spain and Portugal have got Europe's next round. I doubt whether we will see it for a long time. We have the stadiums and infrastructure, but so do many others. We're not special.

In terms of domestic teams in major European finals, I'm pretty sure no country has hosted more than the UK. The Champions League final is back at Wembley next year (3rd time in 15 years), even after the 2021 debacle. 2028 will be the third time Wembley has hosted the Euros.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
we dont go in for the bungs necessary and dont tick boxes for any "legacy" aspirations.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We don’t want all those total wanker, tossers ****s, nobheads, poncers, rabble over here.

The FIFA mob I mean
We've got enough of our own to deal with when we host tournaments.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
In the last 50 years, only Germany and Mexico (and soon the USA) have hosted it more than once. I seem to recall Mexico were only given it in 1986 because Columbia pulled out. Consider also that there are more countries/union of countries capable of holding and due a chance. It's hardly a conspiracy. Spain and Portugal have got Europe's next round. I doubt whether we will see it for a long time. We have the stadiums and infrastructure, but so do many others. We're not special.

In terms of domestic teams in major European finals, I'm pretty sure no country has hosted more than the UK. The Champions League final is back at Wembley next year (3rd time in 15 years), even after the 2021 debacle. 2028 will be the third time Wembley has hosted the Euros.
Disagree .we have the league that globally people are interested in (which settles it there and then really ) . we Also have the history and heritage and we are long long due.
There is no other comparable nation that has fared so badly when it comes to world cups hosting . And plenty of lesser ones that have been chosen over us . And we haven’t been super served when it comes to euros . Also , one-off games aren’t comparable to hosting a World Cup.
Conspiracy is a loaded word but If you believe there’s nothing at all to see here, I’m …..surprised

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Disagree .we have the league that globally people are interested in (which settles it there and then really ) . we Also have the history and heritage and we are long long due.
There is no other comparable nation that has fared so badly when it comes to world cups hosting . And plenty of lesser ones that have been chosen over us . And we haven’t been super served when it comes to euros . Also , one-off games aren’t comparable to hosting a World Cup.
Conspiracy is a loaded word but If you believe there’s nothing at all to see here, I’m …..surprised
I'm not sure, apart from Qatar debacle, who the lesser nations would be in a rotation policy.

Europe's hosts since 1966 have been:

(West) Germany
Spain
Italy
France
Germany
Russia

The UK pulled it's bid for 2028

All of those are just as worthy and all held decent tournaments. I don't think there has been a host that hasn't done it well. Qatar was another matter. All of them have football history and heritage. So Spain, Italy and France have just had one since. All worthy candidates. As worthy as us.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
They wouldn't want to play in Liverpool as they disrespect the National Anthem. Would be very embarrassing for us as hosts.
Not a worry Liverpool pitch too small (to prove Liverpool are a small club) and Everton will be bust by then in third tier and new ground debts...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Episode 8 Money GIF by The Simpsons

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
FFS don't give Rishi ideas of things that will appeal to voters!! 😮

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here