Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do play-off winners get a 'cup'?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What don't you understand? I will say it again for you. I think it is wrong for any club other than the champions of their league to gain entry to a competition called the Champions league. The old system was better runners up and beyond go into the UEFA cup (what Chelsea just won). Won't happen again now as too much money involved

You said 2-6 qualify for the Champions League - what the hell are you going on about!? What about the champions!? Only 1-3 qualify for the Champions League, 4th place actually only qualify for the qualifying rounds.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
1st - Promoted as Champions
2nd - Promoted as Runner-Up
-----------------------------
3rd }
- 1 game at Wembley to decide who goes up with the top 2
4th }
----------------------------

5th - 24th

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I think he was saying 'What?' about was the fact it's only the top 4 that qualify for the Champions League, not the top 6.

I think it's perfectly fine as it is :shrug:

Surely if they're so good they should be able to beat 4th or 5th and 6th in the play-offs?
It also keeps the teams as low as 10th interested as the season draws to a close. How boring would it be if you were 4th but had no chance of catching 3rd on the last day. It just makes more games more meaningful.

Then,surely,the teams that finish first and second should only make a play off,for your stated reasons.

Play-offs = ballhooks.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Just WRONG in every way. It's bad enough they get to play at Wembley, but considering the second placed team don't even get a trophy to see them parading silverware around the pitch for finishing 6th or whatever is just nonsense.
Agree with this. Total nonsense. Not even a fan of the play offs. It's wrong that you can finish 6th and go up.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
So Palace can claim they have "won" something in the past 20 years.:wanker:

Thats a funny thing to say young Major??

When the season starts every team in the Championship knows that if you finish 3rd, 4th,5th or 6th, you will qualify to enter a play off competition, with the winner gaining the right to be promoted, so the winner gets a cup...

Oh and Palace won the play offs in 1997 and 2004 so they have won something in the last 20 years...even you cant argue with that!!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Agree should be 1 leg semis with higher team at home then 1 leg final where-ever the higher team chooses (home, or a big neutral stadium they negotiated).

But wouldn't be as all about money (not fans having chance to see it) and the FA getting use from Wemb

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
They need a cup to carry the following season's parachute payments, as they invariably get relegated :)

All these games a played at Wembley simply to rake in funds to offset the costs of its build
Except the stadium (or holding company) is owned by the FA, not the FL. I would agree though that prices there have been massively inflated to pay for the overspend caused by the FA's incompetence.
This is the reason I boycotted the FA Trophy final there a couple of years ago; £30 was a joke!

Because the best teams in the division don't get to play there. Bradford finished 7th! But my main beef is they win a trophy.
Maybe they would have finished 4th if they hadn't gone all the way in the FLC so possibly they were the 'best of the rest'.

Plutonium??

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Ignore the winner of the final getting a cup, the whole concept of the play offs is wrong. In a LEAGUE competition I find it very very wrong that a team finishing 6th has an opportunity to "win" promotion over the team that finishes 3rd.

Yeah yeah, I know the "everyone knows the rules at the start of the season" arguement, but that doesn't make it right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here