Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do people think Bloom will spend big in the summer?

Feb 14, 2010
Bournemouth squad cost. You can correct me if wrong.

Boruc 0
Daniels 175k
Elphick 200k
Cook 100 k
Francis 25 k
Pugh Tribunal (100k?)
Arter Tribunal (40k?)
Surman 800k
Ritchie 500k
Pitman 60k
Wilson 3m (paid for by Grabban money):
Camp 0
Smith 500? Probably less?
Harte 0
Gosling 0
Fraser 500K
Kermorgant 400k

Ipswich squad apparently put together for 10K so if this is correct. It can be done.

Crickey. Just goes to show how badly our scouts and "recruitment team" did last summer.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Oh no, not another 3/5 year plan! How old are the players in the development squad? Just that there are kids in their teens and early 20's playing Premier League football

Did I misunderstand the Cat 1 academy status, that allows us to go and get promising young players from lesser academies like Palace and take them on knock down prices?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

Boruc 0
Daniels 175k
Elphick 200k
Cook 100 k
Francis 25 k
Pugh Tribunal (100k?)
Arter Tribunal (40k?)
Surman 800k
Ritchie 500k
Pitman 60k
Camp 0
Harte 0
Gosling 0
Fraser 500K
Kermorgant 400k

Ipswich squad apparently put together for 10K so if this is correct. It can be done.

How many loan players do they have?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

Boruc 0
Daniels 175k
Elphick 200k
Cook 100 k
Francis 25 k
Pugh Tribunal (100k?)
Arter Tribunal (40k?)
Surman 800k
Ritchie 500k
Pitman 60k
Camp 0
Harte 0
Gosling 0
Fraser 500K
Kermorgant 400k

You don't mention wages, conveniently.......or kenwynne jones, who's reportedly costing plenty per week.........so no, it can't be done on the cheap IMO

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
You don't mention wages, conveniently.......or kenwynne jones, who's reportedly costing plenty per week.........so no, it can't be done on the cheap IMO

Jones has only just been brought in, as you would expect to get them over the line. Yes we should have done the same the last two years when we had the chance for promotion. I have not mentioned wages, but would guess they are not that different to ours. BUT the point is that you don't have to pay millions in fees as it would appear you are suggesting

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Bloom has a balancing act to perform. Repeat this years recruitment failure, fan numbers will drop (is it 1901 renewals at the end of next season?) and we'll continue to spiral OR show some intent and create some enthusiasm for the club again. Our academy is a potential light at the end of the rainbow, but the trick is to keep everyone happy whilst these lads come through.

Agreed, but I would add that you cannot bank on there being a pot of gold at the end of the tunnel........

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
He will NOT change his philosophy of raking the bargain buckets and paying for shite. Not a chance.
Its a " I will show them who runs this club and is boss"

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
So they had one playing and one on the bench unlike our 5 playing.
So ten more players on the pitch with a better incentive for the club to do well and not have the safeguard of trotting back to another club. Makes sense to me.

More importantly, the 2 loanees will be playing for a transfer to a team that's promotion bound.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Boruc 0
Daniels 175k
Elphick 200k
Cook 100 k
Francis 25 k
Pugh Tribunal (100k?)
Arter Tribunal (40k?)
Surman 800k
Ritchie 500k
Pitman 60k
Camp 0
Harte 0
Gosling 0
Fraser 500K
Kermorgant 400k

But Bournemouth are paying wages that we can't compete with, that's the key difference.

WON'T compete with. Won't.

You don't need to spend big as stated plenty of times on this thread but what you do need to do is attract the right players at the right price. The Moneyball approach doesn't work. Just doesn't. Fine for spread betting but no good at all for building a decent team. Anyone with half a brain could see O'Grady was never going to be another Ulloa. Who the hell scouted him? Compare the list in the first quote with this list below:

Holla - not playing
Colunga - already back in Spain
Toko - he came, he didn't play, he got paid off
Paddy - on loan and will leave
Gardner - wasted in wrong position then sent back to parent club.
Hughes - cover at best, can't even displace a utility player
Agustien - complete waste of space since he got here

And that's before you consider what we would have paid out for Al Habsi (one game) and Bent (two or three wasn't it?). We have made literally two decent signings this season - Teixeira (due to our otherwise clueless manager at the time) and Kayal. That's it.

We need to spend smarter. Recruit true quality and pay them what they think they're worth.

I'm sure that's not news to the senior team really, it's pretty obvious. However, it's what you get it you burn through three managers in as many seasons whilst letting David Burke wear two completely different hats and carry on bringing in players when you don't have a manager.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I do not think we will spend big. I expect we will get rid of a few and will bring a few in. I think the positive will be it will be the manager and not a non football person choosing the signings. If he can pick up some more gems like Kayal on permanent signings rather than players like Best we may well do ok.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If I were TB I'd want to see Hughton getting the best out of what we have before letting him lose on bundles more ... certainly if he'll be spending on the likes of Best, Ledesma and Carayoll

Admittedly we haven't got a promotion chasing squad but I'd say most looking at what we have would expect performances to be far better ... problems are more fundamental than simply bunging a few quid at it I think

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
It depends what you mean by spending big. We have spent quite a lot on our squad, and it is pretty much useless. I imagine that might put off Bloom from spending even more.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Jones has only just been brought in, as you would expect to get them over the line. Yes we should have done the same the last two years when we had the chance for promotion. I have not mentioned wages, but would guess they are not that different to ours. BUT the point is that you don't have to pay millions in fees as it would appear you are suggesting

Did bournemouth also reportedly bid 5M in January for Demarai Gray of Birmingham?? Doesn't sound too cheap........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here