Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why didn't we sell Stephens?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Stephens will most likely start next Saturday. The SAS of Stephens and Sidwell can really steady the ship and power us to beat Norwich and could be the right pairing for the rest of the season. The OP is forgetting how difficult it would be to replace Stephens, even for 1 season, I'm sure Keeping Stephens will see him start more for now on.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
He looks happy there but then all scorers do I was merely emphazing that he asked for a transfer to move and get away and hasnt had much opportunity to impress since then so is he happy? I dont know but I am sure somebody will answer the question.

I get your point, but we've all witnessed want away players not celebrating when scoring. I've not seen anything from Dale to suggest that he's not committed to the job, and I honestly, perhaps naively, think he is happy.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I hope we are working hard behind the scenes to get him to sign a new contract. If we are in this position pre Christmas or can put a bit of daylight between us and the chasing pack, it might be enough to get him to commit.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
This ought to be a feature.

Can I suggest next Saturday at 14:39 someone starts a thread:-

Why didn't we sell Skalak?

LOL

We should go through the entire team one player each week. By the end of the season we could be top scorers again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We were offered big money for a key player who was indispensable last year. It's undersrandable that we wanted to keep him, but he will be worth less in January and nothing in the summer. He wanted to go and is now starting too few games.

It's a good thing that Norwood and Sidwell are doing so well, but this underlines that we can and should move on. Kayal is now injured and also out of contract in the summer...

[tweet]789871177904820224[/tweet]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We were offered big money for a key player who was indispensable last year. It's undersrandable that we wanted to keep him, but he will be worth less in January and nothing in the summer. He wanted to go and is now starting too few games.

It's a good thing that Norwood and Sidwell are doing so well, but this underlines that we can and should move on. Kayal is now injured and also out of contract in the summer...
If it's 'understandable that we wanted to keep him', why are you asking why we didn't sell him?

:jester:

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Exactly. There's still a strong possibility he'll be off in January, then no one will be gloating!

Stephens WILL probably play the whole season for BRIGHTON and there is every chance you WILL be promoted along with Newcastle.

But I would be amazed if DS signed a new contract with the Seagulls unless they at least match the big increase he would have received had he joined Burnley - if he waits until the summer he will be a free agent and both he (and his agent) would be able to share a huge signing-on bonus as a reward for ANY new suitor (be it Burnley, Hull or whoever) for NOT having to part with any transfer fee.

Burnley signed Dave Jones on a "free" in the summer of 2013 because they could offer him a substantial "signing-on" bonus when there were arguably "bigger and more glamorous" clubs wanting his services.

There are rumours that Barton "might" rejoin Burnley in January, but it would surprise me if Stephens is still not on Dyche's radar in January or more likely in the summer if the player wants to move back north.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Stephens WILL probably play the whole season for BRIGHTON and there is every chance you WILL be promoted along with Newcastle.

But I would be amazed if DS signed a new contract with the Seagulls unless they at least match the big increase he would have received had he joined Burnley - if he waits until the summer he will be a free agent and both he (and his agent) would be able to share a huge signing-on bonus as a reward for ANY new suitor (be it Burnley, Hull or whoever) for NOT having to part with any transfer fee.

Burnley signed Dave Jones on a "free" in the summer of 2013 because they could offer him a substantial "signing-on" bonus when there were arguably "bigger and more glamorous" clubs wanting his services.

There are rumours that Barton "might" rejoin Burnley in January, but it would surprise me if Stephens is still not on Dyche's radar in January or more likely in the summer if the player wants to move back north.

Barton :facepalm:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was reported in the papers at the weekend from CH ' we want to keep him and there is a contract on the table for him to sign, all he has to do is sign it but it is up to him'. Lets hope it includes a big pay rise and sense prevails and he signs a new contract followed by Kayal doing the same.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
"Bolton man beats Wiggin" Hurrah.

The Burnley person is correct in that Stephens would be daft to sign another contract now, when he's going to be holding all the cards in the summer.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
"Bolton man beats Wiggin" Hurrah.

The Burnley person is correct in that Stephens would be daft to sign another contract now, when he's going to be holding all the cards in the summer.

On the other side of the coin - he's 28, has suffered two long term injuries in the last 3 years, and at the end of the January window, will have just 4 months of job security ahead of him. He'll hold all the cards in the summer, IF he reaches it fit and well. Risky game to play.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
On the other side of the coin - he's 28, has suffered two long term injuries in the last 3 years, and at the end of the January window, will have just 4 months of job security ahead of him. He'll hold all the cards in the summer, IF he reaches it fit and well. Risky game to play.

He didn't start against Wolves and Wigan, because of a niggling groin injury, so it is risky.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012

Ah, fair enough. I didn't know that Stephens had such a poor record for injuries & that certainly makes his ( & his agent's ) contract signing decision a bit more of a gamble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here