Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why did you take out a season ticket to go to matches?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I always promised myself once I got off shift work and could attend matches on a regular basis I'd get a season ticket and that's what I've done, So far I've enjoyed every season at the Amex including this one and all the time I can afford it I'll keep renewing it. I've been following the Albion for over 40 years now and apart from a short spell in the late 70's and early 80's this is the best period I've known in my history of following the club, We're now in our 3rd season challenging at the right end of the Championship, We've got a good head coach from Barcelona, We've got a good multi-national team that includes a number of ex and current international players and to top it off we've got a fantastic stadium that's the envy of many clubs so what's not to enjoy.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Season ticket holder at The Goldstone, Gillingham and Withdean. Bit of a 'no brainer' regarding getting one at The Amex.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was a season ticket holder at various points of the Goldstone years but not at the end. I took out a season ticket again when we moved to Gillingham and that followed through to Withdean. I kept that for 5 or 6 years, despite having moved to Somerset but then gave it up as I wasn't able to get to many games for a while.

I jumped back on the season ticket bandwagon for the Amex. My primary objective was ensuring I made it to the first game. I probably made it to about two thirds of games since then but it should be 100% now I'm a Sussex resident again.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Had a massive price hike at the start of the season and face another one the season after next. I will try and find the money, but there are no guarantees. People do have different circumstances and unfortunately, what starts off as an adult and two kids, eventually becomes three adults. Most late teens these days, have no money of their own, unless they are working on a Saturday, so it falls to the bank of mum and dad, to find the cash.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My son and I went to a few games together at Withdean, I could tell he wasn't really in to the whole experience, but did get better over time as he grew older.

I didn't get a season ticket in the first season as I worried it would interfere with his basketball matches, but since the first game we went to together at the Amex I knew we would end up being season ticket holders.

Now it is pretty much the only 'quality time' with my son, between my work and our hobbies we don't spend a great deal of time together anymore.

We love the walk to the ground catching up on things, and now he is as involved in the games as I am. All the time he still wants to go I'll keep getting our season tickets.

I'm a bit like this, although I'm what many would refer to as a JCL. Last season my son and I had a share of a season ticket. This year we have a full one. Provided he doesn't tell me otherwise, which I doubt he will, next year we'll renew as well.
I only really mention this, because the assumption of so many is that the JCLs are about to desert en masse. This JCL is not.
The stadium is great. For much of the time, the football is good to watch too. What would make me reconsider is if the ethos of the club was to play hoofball. Despite what too many claim on NSC, there's little inclination that this will happen. Ultimately, fans of football -- rather than just fans of a club -- want to be entertained. It's not all about results, and promotion. The Championship is such an exciting league to be in, because it's so open. Things don't happen as you'd expect them too -- for example, our home results against Barnsley and Leicester, bottom and top, played within a few days of each other.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Despite what some people say, it's still relatively cheap entertainment. A season ticket costs somewhere between £19.50 and £29.50 a match. I see it as not just 90 minutes of football, but more as 23 afternoons/evenings out, often with the chance to meet up with people afterwards for a few drinks when I want to. What do other people do on Saturday afternoons? Go shopping? Go out for something to eat? Go to London? All of those things don't give much change out of £29, and some cost a lot more. Bearing in mind Saturday is the one day of the week I am definitely not going to sit at home and do nothing, I am going to spend money whatever happens. Therefore, I really don't see £19.50-£29.50 for five hours out of the house at a live event in front of 25,000+ people as poor value.

Think you're broadly right about this. I pay towards the lower amount that you mention, and my son's ticket costs nearer £5. When you factor that in, £25 for two is pretty cheap when compared to going out to comparable forms/length of leisure activities, such as the cinema, theatre, etc.
Can someone put a block on Barber reading this though :ban:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Almost exactly this. Quality father/son time, local, good standard (mostly), son progressively more interested in the game and I am always up for any sporting occasion. Can't claim to be a lifelong supporter as moved to GOSBTS through work, but son was born here and we're pretty embedded now. Will be renewing for the foreseeable future I'd think.

Without wanting to bombard the board, I'm pretty much this too.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I've only ever had a part share in a season ticket in the past (first 3/4 of years at Withdean), so I wasn't initially planning to, I usually ended up going to only about half the home games.

When stories of the number of season tickets sold in the run up to the Amex opening, I panicked, thinking I wouldn't be able to get to many matches, especially the first game, so got one for me and my son.

It's become more of a habit now, and I've probably only missed about 5 or 6 games since, and that's just down to holidays or other things being on. It's an enjoyable day out now. Now I've got one, I've absolutely no intention of getting rid of it.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I will keep mine as long as my mates keep theirs, one is wobbling a bit but he will be talked round. If I didn't have the season ticket I would still make every Saturday game, though I might miss a few more of the midweek games.

The biggest cause of some not renewing ST's will be the extra seats now available, with 20,000 seats you needed one to be sure you could get a seat, with 30,000 it is rare that it is sold out. That, and the number of midweek games, which has not been so bad this season.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I got one because I wanted to be a part of it all. Apart from an East Terrace season ticket at the Goldstone I'd never been a sth, because I couldn't get to all the games. It was the same at the Amex - though I kept my st for two years, but with Saturday at 3.00 dwindling, and age and distance not, I gave it up and now only come to Saturday games when I can. Next up, Donnie - if I can get the motor kayak out of drownded Somerset !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here