Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why did you take out a season ticket to go to matches?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I first got a season ticket when we moved to Gillingham on the basis that that was when the club needed my money most.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
I know that if I didn't have one 'real life' would inevitably start to find other things for me to do on Saturday afternoons (and Monday evenings and Tuesday evenings etc) so its safer not to take the risk!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have had a season since the Goldstone days. Didn't get one for Gillingham but still ended up going to virtually every home game.

More to the point, what is the reason the OP got a season ticket?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I was a regular a the Goldstone and then at Gillingham but wasn't a ST holder

I took out my first St when we first moved to Withdean (partly as it would have been diffcult to get seats for the first match / season and partly the convenience and cost savings) I kept it through out the Withdean era and for the Amex and can't envision myself giving it up unless cost makes it impossible)

- the original point of this thread was to be why you got one for this season but messed up the title.

I was hoping to show to the worriers that the thought of gaining a promotion place or securing a place in the play-offs wasn't the reason why people renewed last season and if we fail to secure this, it won't be the disaster they seem to be concerned about with lots failing to renew because we missed out (hence why we should spend millions to get there, etc)

Wickham Wanderer

Sep 17, 2012
I've held a season ticket in all four of playing venues since seeing my first game in 1974. I still can't believe I watch my football club in such a great stadium. Why wouldn't you want to renew.

Jan 30, 2008
Despite what some people say, it's still relatively cheap entertainment. A season ticket costs somewhere between £19.50 and £29.50 a match. I see it as not just 90 minutes of football, but more as 23 afternoons/evenings out, often with the chance to meet up with people afterwards for a few drinks when I want to. What do other people do on Saturday afternoons? Go shopping? Go out for something to eat? Go to London? All of those things don't give much change out of £29, and some cost a lot more. Bearing in mind Saturday is the one day of the week I am definitely not going to sit at home and do nothing, I am going to spend money whatever happens. Therefore, I really don't see £19.50-£29.50 for five hours out of the house at a live event in front of 25,000+ people as poor value.
what about the "product" on display does that come into it???
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
It certainly doesn't for me, and I don't really see that it should for most people. After all, we're not an EPL club with the stands full of people who are just paying for a season ticket in the knowledge it will allow them to watch Suarez, Hazard, Van Persie, Ozil and the rest. All of the 24,000 season ticket holders at The Amex have signed up for Championship football, so by definition they are not glory hunters. Therefore, whether the Albion are 1st or 12th shouldn't really come into it.
that sounds a bit deluded Mr badger, there may well be a big percentage that are happy with championship football but i'm sure there's still plenty of glory hunters ready to jump ship AS AND WHEN REQUIRED :wink:
regards
DR

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Love my seat, go to c.80% of games and a lot less hassle than buying for individual matches, albeit possibly a bit dearer.

Jan 30, 2008
But how can anyone at The Amex be a glory hunter? What glory have they been hunting? The chance to see us play Barnsley, Huddersfield and Blackpool? It doesn't make sense.

I would say people are more likely to leave based on a lack of ENTERTAINMENT. If we played exciting football and scored plenty of goals I wouldn't mind betting there wouldn't be much disappointment even if we only finished 12th. I think the current murmurs of discontent are more a result of us being such a dull team, rather than our league position.
got the wrong end of the stick mate , i believe some people are FRIGHTENED to give up there season ticket in the hope that we get to the premiership , some of the more realistic followers of the team are a bit more clued up AND CAN SEE IT FOR WHAT IT IS AND ARE NOW DECIDING TO DITCH THE S/T IN FAVOUR OF A MORE SELECTIVE OPTION , I DON'T THINK FOR ONE MINUTE THAT THESE POLLS ON HERE GIVE A TRUE REFLECTION OF PEOPLES THOUGHTS ON THE SUBJECT , would be happy to be proved wrong, LETS WAIT AND SEE:wink:
regards
DR

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I took out a season ticket because I love the club and want to see every game whatever division we're in.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My son and I went to a few games together at Withdean, I could tell he wasn't really in to the whole experience, but did get better over time as he grew older.

I didn't get a season ticket in the first season as I worried it would interfere with his basketball matches, but since the first game we went to together at the Amex I knew we would end up being season ticket holders.

Now it is pretty much the only 'quality time' with my son, between my work and our hobbies we don't spend a great deal of time together anymore.

We love the walk to the ground catching up on things, and now he is as involved in the games as I am. All the time he still wants to go I'll keep getting our season tickets.

Almost exactly this. Quality father/son time, local, good standard (mostly), son progressively more interested in the game and I am always up for any sporting occasion. Can't claim to be a lifelong supporter as moved to GOSBTS through work, but son was born here and we're pretty embedded now. Will be renewing for the foreseeable future I'd think.

Jan 30, 2008
I agree with your point about NSC polls not showing the true mood of The Amex crowd. After all, NSC is likely to have attracted many of the most loyal and committed fans who are least likely to give up their season tickets, whereas there are many thousands of less committed supporters out there who have never even logged on to NSC, let alone posted here. It will certainly be interesting to see what happens if the team fall out of play-off contention with plenty of matches left to play this season.
as i said mate let's wait and see :thumbsup:
regards
DR

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
In spite of all the ups and downs of this club, I enjoy being a Brighton supporter as I have been since 1956 and hope to continue to be for many years to come!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here