Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why did we buy Adam Webster?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Simple question why splurge 22m on a player it doesn't look like we are going to need, unless he is insurance against injuries? Maybe there was more to the Dunk to Leicester than Bloom and Co were letting on. Any ideas?

Because we can.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This reminds me of the thread querying why we bought Duffy when we already had Dunk and Goldson

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Whatever happened to Balogun? Is he still with us?

He's still dining out on his goal against Palace.

I thought it was blindingly obvious that Balogun isn't competition for Dunk or Duffy, and now Burn. He might be adequate cover for a couple of games, but he isn't challenging those 3 for a place, not by a long chalk. Webster is presumably bought in to properly challenge a starting spot. It's a long old season, if 3 centre backs is here to stay, Webster will get his chances.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Au contraire. We are now an established Premier League side (our third season, hopefully more!). We need like for like decent players in key positions. If there was an injury, suspension or loss of form applying to Dunk, Duffy or Burn and we didn’t have Webster - then who?

In our first season in the PL we played Arsenal (Away). We had NO recognised striker available due to suspension, injury and whatever. Izquierdo was played in that position and was like a fish out of water. Just that situation alone would back the club’s argument for needing suitable, if expensive, back up. By the way, we lost to Arsenal and didn’t score.

That's the wrong Izzy isn't it? I thought we plated Izzy Brown as striker. Not that it's important, your point still stands.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Depth, Burn stepped up in a way few predicted so he gets to play right now. A bit like how we didn't drop Murray for Locadia / Andone, but their arrival really made him up his game as there was genuine competition.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
In 1981 Liverpool won the European Cup with Alan Hansen and Phil Thompson as their CB partnership.A few months later they signed Mark Lawrenson.

Why? To improve the team of course!! You can improve in any position.In Potter we trust!!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
As been pointed out in other threads, Duffy's strengths doesn't include playing out with the ball. He just doesn't look that comfortable with the ball at his feet as much as Dunky. Even Burns can play with the ball at his feet and has a surprising skill with the ball for a lanky man.

Webster has better ball skills but probably not as good at clearing the ball as Duffs im(limited)ho.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here