Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Did Murray Not Start?!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Gus has rested/dropped Murray many times this season and each type he gas come back stronger. That would suggest Gus knows what he is doing.

odd comment as we lost!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
seems odd that he rests him in a game that is a very important one this year, ie against a team that is capable of catching us should we slip up.

very odd

Ignoring the bit about the potential knock. Maybe it is sensible to rest him in a game that was always going to be tough, whilst we were clear of the pack, than rest him against Peterborough, which would be a banker with him playing.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Hate to say it but Murray was clapping the fans more than any player at the end which is very unmurrayesque. 2 or 3 people commented on it near me

I think he's gonna go ...

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
seems odd that he rests him in a game that is a very important one this year, ie against a team that is capable of catching us should we slip up.

It's easier for a top side to limit a top strikers input than a lower table side.

Which is why it's more vital he plays against those sides lower to mid table teams as his class can expose them far better than againsat a well organised top team.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Gus has rested/dropped Murray many times this season and each type he gas come back stronger. That would suggest Gus knows what he is doing.
This.
I'm sure Gus had a perfectly sound reason for his decision and will tell us why in due course.
Until then, we don't know why Muzza was on the bench.
Whatever the reason, can we please all stop pressing the panic button?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Exactly right. It's a squad game now and it makes sense to rotate three strikers.

Ignoring the bit about the potential knock. Maybe it is sensible to rest him in a game that was always going to be tough, whilst we were clear of the pack, than rest him against Peterborough, which would be a banker with him playing.

It's easier for a top side to limit a top strikers input than a lower table side.

Which is why it's more vital he plays against those sides lower to mid table teams as his class can expose them far better than againsat a well organised top team.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Exactly right. It's a squad game now and it makes sense to rotate three strikers.

I agree but we must'nt be precious about opinions made when we lost the game and with our best striker, we may have won it. IMHO Gus made a mistake by not playing our best striker and we paid for it.

Still it will be interesting if he plays against Colchester on Tuesday as that is starting to look like a game we must not lose

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
what did he say?

He said I know Glenn better than anyone else.The fans only see him between 3 and 5pm on a Saturday;I see him all week and know when to play him and when not to....that is my recall anyway!
I disagree( a sin I know) and without checking stats reckon that several times when Gus has started without Murray,it has backfired!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I disagree( a sin I know) and without checking stats reckon that several times when Gus has started without Murray,it has backfired!

Murray came on as a sub v
Brentford (we won 1-0)
Bristol Rovers (Drew 2-2)
Southampton (drew 0-0)
Bournemouth (lost 1-0)

We have had four league losses:

Sheff Wed - Murray played all 90mins
Hartlepool - Murray played all 90mins
Hudderfield - Murray played all 90mins
Bournemouth - Murray was a sub.

Ignoring today, starting murray didn't prevent defeat, using him as a sub had not backfired unless you consider getting a point backfiring

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Just had a text similar to what dwayne has said above.

Glenn clapping and waving to the fans a lot more than he usually does. Also shook hands with a lot of his team mates.

Hopefully it's all blown out of proportion!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
If Murray goes -- if, mind you -- and as a result the team crashes out of the promotion chase, then it wasn't really in it to start with.

He could -- God forbid -- tear an ACL in practice for Tuesday and be gone for the season.

The practical consequences to us of him being on our bench, in a hip cast, and on Charlton's bench, an unused sub, are identical.

It's football. Sh*t happens.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
To the posters who said hes going to Hudds or Charlton - why the f**k would we send him to major promotion rivals ?

Because we would be getting a fee , in the summer Muzza can leave for nothing and we paid Rochdale £300k to bring him here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here