Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why did Boro send their keeper up in the last minute?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Only worth the risk if your team has nothing to lose, but Boro had loads to lose.

It has to be worth the risk if it means you finish in 2nd spot , the win would have put enormous pressure on Bournemouth to get a result.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It has to be worth the risk if it means you finish in 2nd spot , the win would have put enormous pressure on Bournemouth to get a result.

Hmm. I point put pressure on as well, whereas zero takes the pressure off.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Spot on. It was idiotic.

The chances of the keeper either scoring or causing a goal from a corner is MINIMAL, its a tiny tiny chance. But the risk of throwing away a precious point that they'd slogged their guts out for was large. Its not hindsight either, that was a CRAZY risk to take, and if we were ever in that situation I would be horrified at losing such a crucial game in that manner. If you're losing then obviously, fair enough. But to do that when they'd just clawed it back to level, astonishing. I can only think that the adrenaline was flowing and Karanka lost his head in those dying minutes.

Boro should be sitting 2nd in the table right now, which would've heaped the pressure on Muff, especially after they blew it against Wednesday the other day. Instead, they've all but handed it to them on a plate.

Yep, madness and for me would have me worried about how our manager would cope in high pressure games if he makes rash, miscalculated decisions like that.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
The most likely thing to happen was nothing, no goal for either team.

But clearly Boro were more likely to score than Fulham. Time was virtually up, the ref could have blown up for full time as soon as Fulham cleared the corner. He found a few extra seconds and Fulham scored.

Boro fans pre match said "this is a must win" and Karanka tried everything to do that.

I respect his decision, not many managers would make it.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I was surprised to see Matthew Benham tweet (owner of Brentford and a bloke who lives off stats) that he thought it was the correct decision in the context of their season.

I'd love to know how many keepers going forward has led to a goal scored or conceded. Name me a keeper who has scored? Jimmy Glass and er.....

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I was surprised to see Matthew Benham tweet (owner of Brentford and a bloke who lives off stats) that he thought it was the correct decision in the context of their season.

I'd love to know how many keepers going forward has led to a goal scored or conceded. Name me a keeper who has scored? Jimmy Glass and er.....

Didn't Stockdale claim an assist in our last minute equaliser against Charlton?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Exactly. The chances of their keeper scoring or even assisting towards a goal were utterly microscopic.

Against that, the chance of a disaster was quite high, especially as they were already down to 10. Yet Karanka weighed that up and decided it was worth it. Nuts, absolutely nuts.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Didn't Stockdale claim an assist in our last minute equaliser against Charlton?

I wasn't there for the Charlton game. I suppose we could check on Twitter by looking through Stockdale retweets for 'Blinding assist' 'You should be outfield' and 'Baller'

Can't help thinking this was a bizarre decision that could yet cost them promotion.

Despite having ten-men and being 3-1 down, they'd brought the game back to 3-3, but then risked everything by sending their keeper up for a corner in the last minute of stoppage time. Fulham went down the other end and scored, costing Boro a point. Now, even if they win their last match, they will lose out on automatic if Bournemouth get just three points from their last two games - so could be decided tomorrow. A point would have definitely taken it to the last game..

Don't agree Kev - they needed 3 points not 1 - correct decision.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Schmichael (P), Scott Flinders, Paul Robinson and an assist from Schmichael (K) last year (thought his first effort was in anyway!). It does happen occasional. An extra body at least gives slightly more chance of an attacking player getting on it.

I think it was the right call. Couldn't see Bournemouth any less than 4 points in the last two games.

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
They will need 20 goals against us on Saturday so they will need to get their keeper in our half on every corner and free kick. And I doubt even then we will get them on the break.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Don't agree Kev - they needed 3 points not 1 - correct decision.

A tiny, miniscule chance of the goalkeeper getting them 3 points, weighed up against a very high risk of binning that point they'd bagged and getting nothing ?

They threw away their last lifeline there. A Charlton win was always going to be unlikely, but its all they'd have needed (given the formality of turning us over). Bone-headed decision.

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
Because before the game yesterday

Watford - 88
Bournemouth - 84
Middlesbrough - 84
Norwich - 82

With just two games to go, knowing there is only realistically one automatic spot left, Bournemouth are playing Bolton and Charlton, two games they'd be expected to get 6 points from, and Norwich were playing Rotherham and Fulham. Their only chance of automatic promotion is to better Bournemouth's results as the goal difference was 16, and it is hard to imagine Bournemouth failing to win both of their remaining games.

Worst case scenario is that they lose, and they are still in the play offs.

^

End of thread.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK

Ha!

I asked him the question on Twitter!

Small world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here