Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why did Boro send their keeper up in the last minute?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I have more of a chance of getting a date with Jessica Alba than I have of getting a date with Marilyn Monroe, it doesn't mean I should book a table.

Maybe there is more of a chance of Bournemouth dropping points than us winning, but that doesn't mean Bournemouth will drop points. It's not an either/or thing wherein us losing means Charlton win. Bournemouth are still unlikely to drop enough points for Boro to take second regardless of our result.
Not now they are not. But if Borough had kept that point, one defeat for Bouremouth would have cost them. Now Bournemouth only need 3 points, so only one result, whereas Middlesbrough a point above them would have meant Bournemouth needing to get two results.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Yes, but if Borough had won - and with a serious chance of getting three points next week too - B'mth would be under pressure to win both matches. Now B'mth can afford to draw one, and still go up; much less pressure, especially if they despatch Bolton tomorrow, which is very likely. As I said, only a win would realistically have kept Borough in the hunt.
I disagree. Bournemouth would be under a lot more pressure tomorrow if Borough had an extra point. They could not lose, whereas now they can.

The chances of the keeper making a difference, are always very slim, and you have to remember Bournemouth are in uncharted waters, so WILL be feeling the pressure, so knowing they could not lose their game in hand, would have heaped masses of pressure on them. Agree a win and a draw would still have been enough for them, but now they just need one win out of two games. However unlikely they could even go up now with two defeats, whereas an extra point for Borough would have added a lot more pressure on them then they now have.

Fine, I agree if Bournemouth had to win twice it would have been even more pressure, but as the old cliche goes, points in the bag are better than games in hand, especially at this stage of the season. I don't think Bournemouths last two games are as straight forward as people think. I can honestly see Charlton beating them.

I would always throw the keeper up front for a corner in a cup game, or if you HAD to win the game, but the way this division has chopped and changed over the past couple of months, and bearing in mind their far weaker goal difference, I would have kept the keeper in goal and taken the extra point and 2nd spot in the league, and maybe thrown an extra defender in the mix, and heap more pressure on Bournemouth, because I bet you Eddie Howe is privately laughing his arse off over this!

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
A winning goal would have kept them on course for possible automatic promotion any other result meant play offs, so worth taking the chance.

Of course you are correct,I would have thought it was obvious,their manager takes a positive approach and i quite expect him to gain promotion through the play offs.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
A manager prepared to take a risk? Are you watching, Hughton?

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
That decision has taken the pressure OFF Bournmouth who showed signs last week that it was mounting.
Down to 10 men and get back to 3-3 with 2 minutes to go, you accept the point.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Watching them blow their chance of automatic promotion as a result?

Their chance of automatic promotion went when they didn't win. A draw is about as useful as a chocolate kettle in the circumstances.

Fair play to him for taking a chance.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Their chance of automatic promotion went when they didn't win. A draw is about as useful as a chocolate kettle in the circumstances.

Fair play to him for taking a chance.

Disagree. They would have been a point ahead of Bournemouth and probably two behind after tomorrow. Bournemouth are away to Charlton next Sat (losable) and Boro have a guaranteed 3 points against us. As it is they would now miss out on GD.

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yup, had to go for it. Point was useless, sometimes it comes off, sometimes it doesn't. Play-offs for them alas.

What a bizarre thing to say. Assuming they beat us, it would've required Bournemouth to get four points from their last two games instead of three. So why would a point have been "useless"? Now Bmuff just need one win, instead of a win and a draw.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Wrong decisin for me. And does having ONE extra player out of 10 normal players attacking actually increase their chances of scoring!? Certainly not by much...

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
What a bizarre thing to say. Assuming they beat us, it would've required Bournemouth to get four points from their last two games instead of three. So why would a point have been "useless"? Now Bmuff just need one win, instead of a win and a draw.

I think they'll get at least 4, yes I do. My opinion tbh. No inside knowledge.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Wrong decisin for me. And does having ONE extra player out of 10 normal players attacking actually increase their chances of scoring!? Certainly not by much...

I would hazard a guess if you looked at the statistics there has been more goals conceded directly because of the keeper going up than scored.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I would hazard a guess if you looked at the statistics there has been more goals conceded directly because of the keeper going up than scored.

Only worth the risk if your team has nothing to lose, but Boro had loads to lose.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Only worth the risk if your team has nothing to lose, but Boro had loads to lose.

Exactly, that's what I'm saying. I would only encourage it as a last resort in a cup game etc, Boro had come back from 3-1 down with 10 men and threw all their hard work away.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If Karanka didn't try to get the 3 points, and Bmouth got 4 points from their next two games, which he clearly believes they will, he would have looked back wondering if only he took the gamble. At the time he would have thought that 3 points is far more important than 1 and it was a risk worth taking. I don't think getting nothing out of the game really came into it, that was just an unfortunate byproduct.

Had it paid off, Bmouth would have been put under great pressure in their final games.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I'm not even sure how this is a debate, it was utter stupidity... A point having come back from 3-1 down with 10 men would have been massive (pressure on Bournemouth to need to get 2 results not one).. Bizzare from Karanka and if it costs them promotion... Ouch.

There's taking a calculated risk and then there's reckless stupidity - this was the latter.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not even sure how this is a debate, it was utter stupidity... A point having come back from 3-1 down with 10 men would have been massive (pressure on Bournemouth to need to get 2 results not one).. Bizzare from Karanka and if it costs them promotion... Ouch.

There's taking a calculated risk and then there's reckless stupidity - this was the latter.

Spot on. It was idiotic.

The chances of the keeper either scoring or causing a goal from a corner is MINIMAL, its a tiny tiny chance. But the risk of throwing away a precious point that they'd slogged their guts out for was large. Its not hindsight either, that was a CRAZY risk to take, and if we were ever in that situation I would be horrified at losing such a crucial game in that manner. If you're losing then obviously, fair enough. But to do that when they'd just clawed it back to level, astonishing. I can only think that the adrenaline was flowing and Karanka lost his head in those dying minutes.

Boro should be sitting 2nd in the table right now, which would've heaped the pressure on Muff, especially after they blew it against Wednesday the other day. Instead, they've all but handed it to them on a plate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here