Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Why Deep Purple ROCK

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Didn't they usually start the with some fairly quiet low-key music while people were still arriving or putting coats in the cloakroom, and then they'd play either 'Carry On My Wayward Son', Heart's 'Crazy On You, or BOC's 'Don't Fear The Reaper'. This was the start of the evening proper, heralding 5 hours of air-guitar, head-banging and flying dandruff.

Every time I hear any of those three songs, it takes me right back!
That's how I remember it too. I'm sure we used to go to the Basket Makers beforehand. Enjoyed this more than Coasters or the Pink Coconut.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
That's how I remember it too. I'm sure we used to go to the Basket Makers beforehand. Enjoyed this more than Coasters or the Pink Coconut.
Was in The Basket Makers 4 times the week before last - on our annual visit to Brighton; rent a holiday house in the same street as the 'Baskets' each time we visit!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
As this is an important music thread I'll add my recollections.

Deep Purple was the first band I ever saw live - at the Big Apple, by the Clock Tower in 1971. Incredible and have distinct memories of the night. Better than the things I try to remember now. Fireball was one of my first albums. God, how I was influenced, as a spotty yoof!

Then again in 2008 in a small town in Italy - Pistoia Blues. Still amazing.

Have a ticket to see them again in June this year - can't wait. Still some of the original band so that will do me.

Also a regular at the Year around 1974 - 76, fantastic times. Along with a certain @Harry Wilson's tackle. Probably bumped into several posters on here, for which I apologise retrospectively.

There is a Spotify playlist of songs from that era: TheHungryYears 1974/75/76 by mutterfromthegutter. It's great.
Brilliant to read - I’m very jealous re the 71 gig especially… alas I wasn’t even born :(

The one gig I wish I could have been at is the Cal Jam, mostly to hear this (vid below) strat tone live… To this day, Ritchie simply blows me away 🎸

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Brilliant to read - I’m very jealous re the 71 gig especially… alas I wasn’t even born :(

The one gig I wish I could have been at is the Cal Jam, mostly to hear this (vid below) strat tone live… To this day, Ritchie simply blows me away 🎸

If I could somehow combine being at that gig and hearing Blackmore's guitar with Glenn Hughes' singing being totally inaudible I'd be in heaven.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
If I could somehow combine being at that gig and hearing Blackmore's guitar with Glenn Hughes' singing being totally inaudible I'd be in heaven.
Poor Glenn… tbf he’s pretty well behaved at the Jam… the Bolin era live however… not good. Mistreated does benefit from a stellar Coverdale vocal … with Glenn only screaming at the end ! lol.

That guitar tone - it’s God like.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I've waited long for NSC to become a music forum proper, and at last it's come to pass... and not before time.

There I was the other day, and I surprised myself a little bit by thinking it's been too long since I'd listened to a MKII classic... after a few moments pondering the options I decided to give Who do we think we are ? a bit of a dust off... I'd always liked this album, despite it being considered a pale imitation of both Machine Head and MIJ ---- yet, I find that sonically it's the best album of the bunch, the middle (Roger and little Ian) simply explode out of the speakers and I can't help but imagine where MK2 might have gone following this wonderful and underrated LP.

I guess Rat Bat Blue is probably the one track that stands out as being an absolute beast... And the solo from Jon is frankly beyond comparison...

I love it.

I'll be posting regularly from now on, with essays from Purps to Amazing Blondel and all points in-between, and why not? this is a music forum after all.

I get what you are saying.... but Made in Japan just has that overall iconic atmosphere and heritage...... tough to beat.... the vocal guitar interlude on it's own sets it apart.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I get what you are saying.... but Made in Japan just has that overall iconic atmosphere and heritage...... tough to beat.... the vocal guitar interlude on it's own sets it apart.
I don’t deny MIJ is awesome… I own the three gig version that Connoisseur put out years back, and the performances are simply beyond comparison… at that time it was a band in the truest sense… by MK3 Blackmore really began to dominate proceedings… the balance between all the protagonists on MIJ is what makes it a classic.

Last edited:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Crazy Train and Carry on My Wayward Son where good for watch setting. Was it Peppa who did the door, she certainly remembered who'd been chucked out the previous week. I also have a vague memory of a 24 hour cafe nearby.
I got barred after being accused of smuggling in my own drink (which I hadn’t) and she recognised me about two years later!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here