Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Why Deep Purple ROCK

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brings back the smell of sick and stale beer from my days at The Hungry Years.
Never saw them live but caught half of them at The Rainbow in North London 1975 as Rainbow or Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow.
Great place - incongruously run by a lovely middle-aged Greek couple who looked about as far removed from hard rock as you can imagine, yet they'd be serving drinks while the heaviest, loudest, rock songs were blaring out, and the floor was a mass of 'air guitars' and long hair :rock:

One of the regulars was a such a Status Quo fanatic, he changed his name by deed poll to Francis Michael Rossi.

Used to laugh at the 'bikers' who walked up Queens Road after a night in the Years, carrying their motorcycle helmets - to catch their train home :lolol:
I spent many a night in there in the mid to late 80s. I think my night of choice was Saturday. You could set your watch to the times certain songs would be played :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Feeling inspired I have popped Perfect Strangers on, the first DP album I ever bought…on cassette.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was coming home earlier and I met a blind man. On a hill. Standing still. Very still.

Shit lyrics, sublime racket.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Always loved the shield, MK1 at their Lord inspired best… it’s a very interesting track this, for me representing the diversity they were capable of, which culminated (mk2) during the Who do we think we are ? sessions… again with Lord and (by that point) Glover driving things, with Blackmore less focused or with the track below yet to emerge as the dominant personality he became…

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I spent many a night in there in the mid to late 80s. I think my night of choice was Saturday. You could set your watch to the times certain songs would be played :lolol:
Just before staggering out in the mid '70's, to walk to the Bus Stop in our bike leathers, we were guaranteed this:

'Cause Im as free as a bird now andd this bird you cannot change. And this bird you cannot change. And this bird you cannot change.'

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
But I guess MK1 really kind of peaked on this epic… Lord absolutely the driving force herein:

Thanks to Ennio too, obviously!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It's little wonder Lord (I suspect) wanted to work with Gillan and Glover, based on this absolute gem from their fledging days in Episode Six... Glover was clearly a hugely talented writer who bizarrely often gets overlooked in terms of his importance to the whole MK2 story.... he's also, by all accounts, a lovely chap.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Moving on, and by the the token you can see why Glenn Hughes was seen as an ideal replacement for Glover in MK3 - alas his indulgences stifled his impact somewhat - although the soul/funk mover thing or 'thang' clearly did come through...

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Crazy Train and Carry on My Wayward Son where good for watch setting. Was it Peppa who did the door, she certainly remembered who'd been chucked out the previous week. I also have a vague memory of a 24 hour cafe nearby.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Crazy Train and Carry on My Wayward Son where good for watch setting. Was it Peppa who did the door, she certainly remembered who'd been chucked out the previous week. I also have a vague memory of a 24 hour cafe nearby.
My recollection is walking up those stairs and right at the top there, just inside the door on the left, would be a stool with a doorman perched on it.....the mum would always be loitering nearby and as you say, would keep a beady eye on who came in.

The Market Diner was nearby-ish, a flat roofed greasy spoon about a 10 minute walk inland. Maybe this is the cafe?

Happy days.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Saw them at the BC, probably around 2005 ish.

We had a box as a favour from a friend.

Tremendous show.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
That's the place, thank you. The Royal Stewart and Pawn & Castle in Worthing offered a similar night out but no cafe. Happy days as you say :)

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I've waited long for NSC to become a music forum proper, and at last it's come to pass... and not before time.

There I was the other day, and I surprised myself a little bit by thinking it's been too long since I'd listened to a MKII classic... after a few moments pondering the options I decided to give Who do we think we are ? a bit of a dust off... I'd always liked this album, despite it being considered a pale imitation of both Machine Head and MIJ ---- yet, I find that sonically it's the best album of the bunch, the middle (Roger and little Ian) simply explode out of the speakers and I can't help but imagine where MK2 might have gone following this wonderful and underrated LP.

I guess Rat Bat Blue is probably the one track that stands out as being an absolute beast... And the solo from Jon is frankly beyond comparison...

I love it.

I'll be posting regularly from now on, with essays from Purps to Amazing Blondel and all points in-between, and why not? this is a music forum after all.

When I gave up my season ticket I decided it was time to find a better music forum and f*ck off there .... I'm still searching :)

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Round the corner in a basement?
I thought they did great sausage sarnies but they were probably disgusting

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Didn't they usually start the with some fairly quiet low-key music while people were still arriving or putting coats in the cloakroom, and then they'd play either 'Carry On My Wayward Son', Heart's 'Crazy On You, or BOC's 'Don't Fear The Reaper'. This was the start of the evening proper, heralding 5 hours of air-guitar, head-banging and flying dandruff.

Every time I hear any of those three songs, it takes me right back!

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
As this is an important music thread I'll add my recollections.

Deep Purple was the first band I ever saw live - at the Big Apple, by the Clock Tower in 1971. Incredible and have distinct memories of the night. Better than the things I try to remember now. Fireball was one of my first albums. God, how I was influenced, as a spotty yoof!

Then again in 2008 in a small town in Italy - Pistoia Blues. Still amazing.

Have a ticket to see them again in June this year - can't wait. Still some of the original band so that will do me.

Also a regular at the Year around 1974 - 76, fantastic times. Along with a certain @Harry Wilson's tackle. Probably bumped into several posters on here, for which I apologise retrospectively.

There is a Spotify playlist of songs from that era: TheHungryYears 1974/75/76 by mutterfromthegutter. It's great.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here