Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why can't we say fock?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Can I just explain, it is mainly Google Ads that dictate the usage of swearing here on NSC

Bozza has on countless times explained the reasons behind this and as its been pointed out above Google Ads fund a fair chunk of NSC.

From my personal point of view, I am quite pleased that most swear words are not allowed, the amount of times in the past so many more threads just turned from a heavy debate into playground sweary name calling, so childish!!

Anyway there is the reason, in the main, as to why most swear words are banned from NSC.

I hope this helps those that were not aware.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I find it interesting that the word f*ggot is banned, yet terms such as Paki, ****** and coon seem acceptable. ???

It's about demographics. The latter three mentioned are taking over everywhere but Sussex (if you believe certain people), whereas the first mentioned are taking over the town (if you believe certain people).

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Can I just explain, it is mainly Google Ads that dictate the usage of swearing here on NSC

Bozza has on countless times explained the reasons behind this and as its been pointed out above Google Ads fund a fair chunk of NSC.

From my personal point of view, I am quite pleased that most swear words are not allowed, the amount of times in the past so many more threads just turned from a heavy debate into playground sweary name calling, so childish!!

Anyway there is the reason, in the main, as to why most swear words are banned from NSC.

Thanks for clearing that up. I think some people were confused by Bozza's "Who has told me to do what?" comment, which seems to suggest that Google doesn't pull the NSC strings.

:angel:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thanks for clearing that up. I think some people were confused by Bozza's "Who has told me to do what?" comment, which seems to suggest that Google doesn't pull the NSC strings.

:angel:

As well you know, there is a distinction. NSC could allow whatever level of language it would like. Google however will only put its ads on site that temper it, so we make a CHOICE to go down that route.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Of all the things Google's automated bots have generated warnings to me about, none have ever been to do with swearing and profanity.

The swear filter, as it stands, was implemented by me on no-one else's say-so or recommendation.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Far too much potty mouth language on here generally.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Of all the things Google's automated bots have generated warnings to me about, none have ever been to do with swearing and profanity.

The swear filter, as it stands, was implemented by me on no-one else's say-so or recommendation.

Would you consider adding any of Safeway's other words to that filter? Will save us a little bit of work.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove

Good. Well done.

Fair enough, so why are homophobic insults banned but racist ones not?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
are these banned by google?

gaylord
bender
fudgepacker
marmite miner
Anal Buccaneer
back door bandit
Knob jockey
Rear Admiral

Who says BHA hasn't got a firm? When those boys get together, led by the pretty pink fairy, we can mince over anyone in the league.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean

Good. Naughty words are not needed, they generally lead to hostilities....then the ignore button gets overused!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here