Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why Are We So Wasteful?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I thought we were better yesterday despite not converting. Most were first time efforts and we didnt over think, just lacking a bit on the execution

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Agreed that Maupay's major miss was a first time effort , but it was piss poor nonetheless.
Had he followed up first time with the rebound I suspect he would have scored, but no he tried to get it perfectly on his preferred foot allowing the defence to nullify the threat.
It's a recurring theme. He is a good striker, but he has no killer instinct and needs way too many touches, it reduces his goals/chances stats considerably.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Why shoot when you can pass? That's the Potterball philosophy.

I didn’t see a lot of passing where players could have shot yesterday (I’m looking at Mac Allister & Bissouma) but I did see a lot of shooting that was either straight at the keeper or wide.

Hopefully we’ll get some new goal scoring options in the summer if the current crop continue to fire wide. For example, there was a time when Groß was stunningly clinical, we’ve not seen that from him in years.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
I do blame Potter. Has he heard of shooting practice? Andy Cole built finishing into his muscle memory by practicing finishing over and over again.

If we are not going to invest in a new target man (we should) then all our strikers, and those Potter incorrectly claims are strikers, should not stop practicing their finishing.

There is ZERO evidence any of our squad do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither is there any evidence that we don’t practice shooting in training.

One thing that I have noticed is how poor our shooting is in the pre-match drills. It never inspires me with confidence.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I do blame Potter. Has he heard of shooting practice? Andy Cole built finishing into his muscle memory by practicing finishing over and over again.

If we are not going to invest in a new target man (we should) then all our strikers, and those Potter incorrectly claims are strikers, should not stop practicing their finishing.

There is ZERO evidence any of our squad do this.

I imagine the next set of club accounts, which I believe are due out this week, will show why we will not be buying a new target man.

I don't know, but it's my impression that no amount of shooting practice will make any of our current crop of forwards into deadly finishers. It seems to me to be a mental thing, an ability to be cool and relaxed in front of goal, whereas our guys snatch at chances in desperation. Murray always said he wasn't afraid to appear lazy when what he was really doing was standing in the spot where he expected the ball to arrive. We need people with the cold killer mentality.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Out of interest, are you basing that on stats? I have a suspicion that the stats skew this a bit as we do take a lot of shots, but they're often from outside the box or poor positions in the box - lots of half chances. I can't recall loads of "got to score here" moments in many games, or opposition keepers who've had blinders against us. Obviously you or others might feel games have been different.

TBF it is more what I see with my own eyes. Yesterday was another example of woeful finishing.

PortuGull

Gooooooooooooooooooooolll
Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina
Totally disagree. We very often create more chances than our opponents but our conversation rate is woeful.

What are you talking about?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I was just going to post the same thing about Cole, he repeated scenarios so it became as wrote, so he didn't have to think it became instinctive. What exactly would forwards train to do otherwise? Does Potter stop them shooting in practice, I would hope not!

The evidence is there for anybody to see. If they are practicing shooting, then where is the improvement? Yesterday was yet another example of woeful finishing. This is the story of our season.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Why shoot when you can pass? That's the Potterball philosophy.

Lol [emoji23]

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
We need someone behind the goal in full kit so the potential scorer has someone to pass to.

Brilliant. Further [emoji23]

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Remember the shooting practice before games at Withdean, the shots were flying in from all over the shop...then came the game, completely different

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Neither is there any evidence that we don’t practice shooting in training.

One thing that I have noticed is how poor our shooting is in the pre-match drills. It never inspires me with confidence.

The evidence is ZERO improvement in our finishing

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It seems to me to be a mental thing

I’m in this camp.

The subconscious message from the Manure game where we should have had at least 6 goals was ‘we’re never going to score’. This has been reinforced in other games such as the Liverpool and Sheff Utd home fixtures.

We are in need of a 4-0 or 5-0 to remedy this situation where the likes of Groß, Lalllana, Tross, Zeqiri & Tau score or one of our main strikers such as Connolly or Maupay gets a hat-trick.

Until then, I fear that the players will be bottling it with each shot they take.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
I’m in this camp.

The subconscious message from the Manure game where we should have had at least 6 goals was ‘we’re never going to score’. This has been reinforced in other games such as the Liverpool and Sheff Utd home fixtures.

We are in need of a 4-0 or 5-0 to remedy this situation where the likes of Groß, Lalllana, Tross, Zeqiri & Tau score or one of our main strikers such as Connolly or Maupay gets a hat-trick.

Until then, I fear that the players will be bottling it with each shot they take.

Absolutely. We need to find a habit of inflicting heavy defeats. Yesterday was a golden opportunity. Easier said than done!

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I imagine the next set of club accounts, which I believe are due out this week, will show why we will not be buying a new target man.

I don't know, but it's my impression that no amount of shooting practice will make any of our current crop of forwards into deadly finishers. It seems to me to be a mental thing, an ability to be cool and relaxed in front of goal, whereas our guys snatch at chances in desperation. Murray always said he wasn't afraid to appear lazy when what he was really doing was standing in the spot where he expected the ball to arrive. We need people with the cold killer mentality.

Firstly, the cost of NOT investing is at least 100 million a season. We need to roll the dice.

Secondly, I totally agree. A younger Muzza would have buried that late Maupay chance. Muzza had it. Have any of our current strikers got it?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think we all agree that a decent proven Premier League striker would see our points tally improve.
We make a lot of decent chances, we should probably score more goals.

Our main striking options are:

Maupay 1 in 8 shots to goals
Welbeck 1 in 9 shots to goals
Connelly 1 in 10 shots to goals

Vardy and Ings score about 1in 5 by comparison.

We aren't going to be signing anyone at that level on our budget.

Potter's Mantra is to improve the players we have rather than spend big.
I suspect that ship has sailed with DB, but hopeful we can see the other two improve.

Alternatively we have Florin Andone returning who has 4 premier league goals from 20 shots and a better shot accuracy percentage.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Two things in my opinion:

1. Confidence
2. Quality of strikers. That’s not a dig at the club. Look at the strikers at the bottom few clubs in the league - David McGoldrick, Billy Sharp, Rhian Brewster, Jordan Ayew, Mitrovic, Callum Robinson, Hal Robson Kanu, Bentecke, Cavaliero, Kamara, Dwight Gayle, Joelinton, Andy Carroll, Callum Wilson... so many average players or players on a downward trajectory. It’s hard to compete to get a top class striker.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Potter didn't stop Murray from scoring, it's down to the strikers they get chances don't take them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here