Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] why are we so s*** at corners?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
this is definitely a topic that's been touched on before but it's absolutely doing my head in now. may as well just give goal kicks when we play because at the moment we cannot seem to generate anything of not from set pieces.

the reason I ask it's because it's not as simple as one factor, sometimes the delivery is very good, we do have some big ladsin our team yet never seem to even get close
I think the opposition have figured out our code. When the right hand is raised it's a thump into the box whereas the left will be a thump into the box.
It's amazing how good our passing is all over the pitch but we're so crap at corners.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Don’t even know why Amex crowds get a boner when we get a corner.

We’re just shit at them. Great deliveries, missed our so called giants, eaten up by the oppositon.
Fair point. Next time we get a corner I’m going to repeat to myself “0.8% chance of scoring” to , er, calm me down a bit.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I don’t know if it’s nostalgia but that season we won back to back titles at the Withdean, it felt like we scored loads of goals from corners?
Paul Watson free kicks to Zamora peeling in off the last defender. We seemed to score about 30 of those a season.

And the other routine, where Cullip would pretend to be tying his laces and not involved in the move, before suddenly taking a short lay-off for the cross…

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I cannot fathom what our set piece coach does for a living. Certainly not paid on results!

Pervis looked very good sending in corners and free kicks for Ecuador at the World Cup
I’ve just said that on the Pervis thread, he’s the best crosser of the ball we’ve had in all the years I’ve been watching the Albion (even better than Watson and Currie!), surely it would be worth giving him a go?

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I think we're at the stage now where we should just be taking them all short and trying to work them into the box

This all day long. We’ve a substantial evidence base that says we can’t reliably whip a decent cross in, I’d rather we tried building attacks from short corners rather than watching the ball bounce off the first defender and be immediately cleared.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
There's a good book called The Numbers Game. I can't remember exact detail but it says you're more likely to score from a short corner than one lumped into the box.

We however seem to be equally poor at short corners too.
lots of variables in that. depends what they're actually doing with it for example. is it being taken short, layed back off to the corner taker and swung in, or are they working it to the edge of the box for a shooting opportunity? or is it being taken short to cleverly catch the defence out like that origi goal Vs barca or dunks equaliser against arsenal in that infamous lockdown game.

my point being, if you take it short only to swing it in at the next opportunity, you're still throwing the ball into a crowed penalty area where the keeper will be favourite

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I think we're at the stage now where we should just be taking them all short and trying to work them into the box
Yeah, apparently the success rate for short corners (in top European leagues - not necessarily for us, of course) is higher. And yet we don't seem to try it very often. The idea being to draw some of the defenders out of the crowded box and give you a better angle to cross the ball in.

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
I’m not too worried about our attacking corners. Realistically in professional football the average team probably scores 5-6 goals a season from corners so that’s a very low success rate. With that in mind, I think it’s worth regularly trying a percentage ball and just putting all the attackers in the 6 yard box surrounding the keeper and whipping the ball in there, every so often you’ll get a touch on the ball first and with all the chaos you’ve got a good chance of scoring from the first or second contact.

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
Can’t VAR just get rid of the old fashioned way of taking corners and replace it with a Robot that can kick the ball exactly where you’d want instead?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I mentioned on another thread, Pervis is an excellent crosser of the ball., maybe it’s time to give him a go on corners

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here