Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why are we doing this US tour?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
My flights are carbon neutral :shrug: I emit plenty of hot air, but not carbon.
I'm not bothered by your flights in particular, but carbon offsetting doesn't do much to help the situation in the near to medium term.
Although obviously slightly better than flying around all over the place and not doing anything to mitigate the impact at all.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I’m struggling to understand what value we will get from this US tour.

On the sporting side, we’ll be playing a Newcastle side on 29 July and then having to fly our squad home to start the season two weeks later.

On the commercial side, I hardly see this as helping us to sell more shirts stateside.

I just don’t think this is what’s needed on the eve of our most important top flight season.

Is it a good move or a bad one?
Would have been offered x pounds to take part so as usual money money money. Plus PB would hope raises profile in USA

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I’m struggling to understand what value we will get from this US tour.

On the sporting side, we’ll be playing a Newcastle side on 29 July and then having to fly our squad home to start the season two weeks later.

On the commercial side, I hardly see this as helping us to sell more shirts stateside.

I just don’t think this is what’s needed on the eve of our most important top flight season.

Is it a good move or a bad one?
29th has it changes thought it was 28th? Please be the 29th.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
So the first game v Chelsea is at 7pm iocal time, midnight UK time so late night in Spain.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Obviously it’s about the money. It is also one of the football gravy train perks probably expected by modern players. It has very little to do with the fans. I don’t think we even have a pre season like in years gone by do we ?

North Carolina Supporter

American Seagull
NSC Patron
Will three friendly games have much impact on who kids choose to support? Will there be a lot of fanfare around the games?
Look at it this way- there will be around 50,000 at each match. At least half the fans don’t (yet) have a favorite club. From a marketing perspective, that is a great opportunity to grow. It’s similar to the NFL playing in London and Dublin. They don’t do it for the airline snacks- but to build their brand and hope to win some fans. These tours need to be followed up with televised games and social media clips… which I am certain will grow in number. Brighton is viewed as the up-and-coming team that outperforms the payroll with young, exciting players and the most innovative manager- THAT is a compelling narrative vs the Big 6 “stories”

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Great opportunity for the Albion to raise its profile and acclimatise themselves to being a more established member of the EPL. This should not only be beneficial off the pitch but another step in the mental development of the squad in terms of how their ambitions have changed.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Look at it this way- there will be around 50,000 at each match. At least half the fans don’t (yet) have a favorite club. From a marketing perspective, that is a great opportunity to grow. It’s similar to the NFL playing in London and Dublin. They don’t do it for the airline snacks- but to build their brand and hope to win some fans. These tours need to be followed up with televised games and social media clips… which I am certain will grow in number. Brighton is viewed as the up-and-coming team that outperforms the payroll with young, exciting players and the most innovative manager- THAT is a compelling narrative vs the Big 6 “stories”
Yeah, I understand the basic idea. To clarify in case you thought I was against the tour(I'm not) I'm just curious as to how it's being seen in the states.

My questions are are these games being heavily pushed in the states? Regardless of the games selling out in the stadiums are they being shown on tv and being heavily plugged? And following on from that will it have a big effect on kids choosing a team to support?

The bit in italics is obviously our selling point in terms of team narrative, how much is that gettin put out in the states? If we go every year for the next few years can we expect to see an army of seagulls stateside in five years time?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

Think this is quite the assumption.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Think this is quite the assumption.
I don't know if it is.

I work for a US company so have lot of US colleagues. From what they tell me British football has become very popular in the last couple of years. The main driver behind that is the Wrexham documentary and maybe less so Ted Lasso.

The guy I work with very closely is a hockey fan and never been interested in "soccer". Now every Monday we have a discussion about the football results at the weekend. He even came online on his day off to congratulate me about the United result towards the end of the season.

I can see why the club are doing it.

North Carolina Supporter

American Seagull
NSC Patron
Yeah, I understand the basic idea. To clarify in case you thought I was against the tour(I'm not) I'm just curious as to how it's being seen in the states.

My questions are are these games being heavily pushed in the states? Regardless of the games selling out in the stadiums are they being shown on tv and being heavily plugged? And following on from that will it have a big effect on kids choosing a team to support?

The bit in italics is obviously our selling point in terms of team narrative, how much is that gettin put out in the states? If we go every year for the next few years can we expect to see an army of seagulls stateside in five years time?
Thanks for your reply. The US market is hungry for the best football/soccer. The fans come to realize quickly that the MLS is second tier and then they typically cast about to find clubs in Europe that are top tier. If Bloom has long term ambitions to “move up” - then smartly growing the fan base in the US would pay great dividends over time. The vast majority of US fans are finding their favorite club via television/streaming programs such as PL Saturday Morning. The way the announcers fawned over Brighton this season got the attention of millions of viewers- then they promoted the Tour and the momentum builds… after the Tour they need to reach the audience via social media - until the next season starts… the winners will be the clubs that are proactive and give the fans some reason for the connections - and build a relationship- which will lead to more merchandise sales, television viewers, followers on social, perhaps NSC members, and trips to Brighton for matches… at least that is how our family has progressed! I learn so much here and appreciate the hospitality, too- cheers from North Carolina!

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I don't know if it is.

I work for a US company so have lot of US colleagues. From what they tell me British football has become very popular in the last couple of years. The main driver behind that is the Wrexham documentary and maybe less so Ted Lasso.

The guy I work with very closely is a hockey fan and never been interested in "soccer". Now every Monday we have a discussion about the football results at the weekend. He even came online on his day off to congratulate me about the United result towards the end of the season.

I can see why the club are doing it.

From my experience in the US and Canada, people that are actual soccer fans already have a club they support (typically one of the 'big 6').

Then you have the people who like soccer and follow it more causally, and again they typically 'support' one of the 'big 6' or even a few clubs from different countries e,g United, Barca and PSG

I have had a lot of people tell me that Brighton are their '2nd club' for various reasons, ranging from liking our jersey, our style of play or because they had Gross in their fantasy football team.

There is definitely a group of people that have not followed soccer before and are now getting into it, whether it be from Ted Lasso, Wrexham or the USMNT being quite good at the moment but I don't see them shelling out $60+ to come to a pre-season game.

If it is anything like the NFL games in London, most fans attending are fans of other teams that just want to see a match live.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Agreed, we'd learn far more about our squad and it's competitiveness, plus boost our commercial value, by playing Aldershot and Lewes away

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
It's about slaying the "little old Brighton" dragon.

Pushing global awareness, fixing our status as a PL team in subconscious minds. Making us "better known" - which in turn helps with convincing overseas players to join us.
This..... but just hoping there are no injuries....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here