Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why are we doing this US tour?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I’m struggling to understand what value we will get from this US tour.

On the sporting side, we’ll be playing a Newcastle side on 29 July and then having to fly our squad home to start the season two weeks later.

On the commercial side, I hardly see this as helping us to sell more shirts stateside.

I just don’t think this is what’s needed on the eve of our most important top flight season.

Is it a good move or a bad one?

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
It’s a good move. Playing to sold out stadiums in America is great for our global profile, we play some relatively competitive pre season friendlies, get the squad together for a decent period of time to team build, and an 8 hour flight is hardly going to give anyway disastrous jet lag. I can’t see any negatives tbh.

Seagull Stew

It's all about expanding our brand further into the global market. Or something like that!

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Won't be about shirt sales, we make very little from that hence not ordering enough stock. All about brand recognition and the 'prestige' of being involved.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Our major sponsor is American Express.

Our Stadium is the Amex...
I believe PBOBE said in one of the many podcast he has done, something along the lines that American express had some input in the decision as they have been our sponsor for years, and many more years to come, and we've never played in USA.*

*Please be aware, there is a chance I could have completely dreamt that, and it is a load of horse shit.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I believe PBOBE said in one of the many podcast he has done, something along the lines that American express had some input in the decision as they have been our sponsor for years, and many more years to come, and we've never played in USA.*

*Please be aware, there is a chance I could have completely dreamt that, and it is a load of horse shit.
Incorrect. We toured the western US after we won promotion to the old First Division.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Basically commercial visibility & the Amex / PL tie in.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Extremely important for us that the Amex US/domestic execs see the Albion’s principal partner on their patch.
This, and the fact that the good old US of A is still seen as a massively open marketplace in which the Big Six are yet to take effective control of commercial opportunities. Whereas south east Asia is already full of United/City/Liverpool/Chelsea etc, Middle East will soon be dominated by City and Newcastle, Europe has its own clubs as does South America. Even here because of the ex pats the scene is dominated by the Big Six again. The US provides a wealthy, mainly unattached customer base.

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
Our profile is definitely growing in the US. I was visiting Martha's Vineyard last week and saw an American guy wearing an Albion shirt. Said he's a big fan after seeing us on tv and reading up on our history.

Every PL game is available, so people pick a team (like the mad fella in NYC that sings)

The US is a huge commercial opportunity and will continue to increase our fanbase. Japan next summer?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Obviously I'm biased. But they should've gone to Japan.

North Carolina Supporter

American Seagull
NSC Patron
As an American, I’m obviously biased in favor of the US tour. But I think the decision to risk significant capital for this tour indicates that Bloom believes that there will be a return on his investment- in the form of many new Albion fans. There are literally millions of kids that play - but have not yet chosen a club to support. Brighton has the opportunity to capture a piece of this market. The streaming services in the US offer more PL matches and Europa too… it’s a great time to win over US fans… we look forward to meeting some NSC members in Atlanta!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
As an American, I’m obviously biased in favor of the US tour. But I think the decision to risk significant capital for this tour indicates that Bloom believes that there will be a return on his investment- in the form of many new Albion fans. There are literally millions of kids that play - but have not yet chosen a club to support. Brighton has the opportunity to capture a piece of this market. The streaming services in the US offer more PL matches and Europa too… it’s a great time to win over US fans… we look forward to meeting some NSC members in Atlanta!
Will three friendly games have much impact on who kids choose to support? Will there be a lot of fanfare around the games?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here