Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are folk seemingly negative about us going up to the Prem?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Serious question ...
What is the prize money for finishing 17th in the Prem compared to the prize money for finishing 3rd in the Championship?

I reckon it would'nt be enough to cover our outlay on the players we would need to employ to get us there, meaning the figures wouldn't add up and we would fall foul of FFP

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I never said hat we are a small club, far from it but saying we are a big club is taking it a bit far (in my opinion) I completely agree that Tony will change things and the big crowds are great. But we haven't had them for a particularly long time

? Who told you that, I remember 30000 gates at the goldstone before the dip in the 80 (which happened everywhere), so did my dad before me and so did my grandad before him. As for the no success, totally agree but on NSC most seem quite happy with that and ambition, desire, success and failure are dirty words. Either way, you certainly dont get success by being happy to get 28000 at home to Yeovil in the Championship or 30000 at home to Darlington on the 3rd division

Regarding the crowds I meant we haven't had then for a long time in recent years. Obviously we did at goldstone but for a massive amount of time we didn't at gillingham and then Withdean, that put us back a few years which is why I don't think we are a big club at the moment but prolonging that support will get us there. It's the beauty of football though, we all have different opinions.

I genuinely don't think anyone would complain if we win the playoffs and get up though. Even people that hate the Prem.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
You could say the same about Palace last season - possibly one of the worst teams recently to gain promotion, down to teams handing them wins on a plate in the play-offs. Yet they have stayed up. If they can, there is no reason why we cant.

Personally, Id say were in the same position Swansea were a few years ago - they were in the Championship for 3 seasons before promotion too, they had a manager change in the Summer before going up too (South American Paulo Sousa sacked and replaced by a rather inexperienced Brendan Rodgers - sound familar ?)

Hawk if you can excuse me being pedantic Paulo is Portuguese but I get your drift

Feb 14, 2010
To be pedantic, I can guarantee that NO players in Ryman 'Division 2' are mercenary

I wouldnt either call them that but I know players in the Ryman league who have left clubs to move to others because the other club would pay them more. Personally I have nothing against it and dont blame them at all. In the same way dont blame a Premier League player for maximising his earnings either.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Don't want us there, rather see us in the championship playing decent (hopefully in time!) football competitively. Not having to park the bus for 10 home games a season and hoping to snatch points from the rest whilst paying an arm and a leg to watch us hopefully not lose away every other week.

Swansea.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

So that's one team in what, the last 10 seasons? That has gone up and then done well, and even they arnt looking so great now. I don't really fancy those odds. For every Swansea there are 5 Norwichs, Fulhams, Cardiffs e.t.c.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
That will be the Norwich about to relegated.

But they had a great ride !

L1-Championship -premiership = stayed a few seasons and could easily go back up.
That is probably the most we can aspire to.

Do you really think it's better to wait until we are ready for Champions League before we go up? I would rather we got there asap and see how we do.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
So that's one team in what, the last 10 seasons? That has gone up and then done well, and even they arnt looking so great now. I don't really fancy those odds. For every Swansea there are 5 Norwichs, Fulhams, Cardiffs e.t.c.

Fulham who spent 13 years in the Premier League and who also qualified for the Europa League ? Poor choice there, even though they have had a poor season - same with Norwich though they arent a bad side.

Also, 5 Norwich's, Fulham's and Cardiff's ? Thats 3 teams, 2 of which have had stays longer than a few years in the PL.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Oh geez! - Not this hoary old chestnut again. It was around in the 1950's (and according to my Dad, in the 30's as well) - whenever Brighton's promotion push failed towards the end of rhe season (not difficult when only the champions were promoted!) it was always said that the directors didn't want the expense of longer distance travel to places like Middlesborough, Huddersfield, etc. if we left the cosy locality of division 3 (South).

We'll get money if we are in the top division next year; we'll get parachute payments if we come straight back down. What's to worry about? I personally won't mind at all if we bounce up and down for the next few seasons, gradually coming back stronger and stronger - bring it on!

I remember after the poor performance against Notts County in 1991 that people were saying the club didn't want to go up. That old chestnut indeed.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Fulham who spent 13 years in the Premier League and who also qualified for the Europa League ? Poor choice there, even though they have had a poor season - same with Norwich though they arent a bad side.

Also, 5 Norwich's, Fulham's and Cardiff's ? Thats 3 teams, 2 of which have had stays longer than a few years in the PL.

Yes but they had a SHIT TON of money thrown at them during that time and yet in the end they go down because a bunch of overpaid premadonnas didn't really care enough to try and stay up.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Yes but they had a SHIT TON of money thrown at them during that time and yet in the end they go down because a bunch of overpaid premadonnas didn't really care enough to try and stay up.

Exactly, and that was the reason why they went down. So because they did that - everyone else who goes up will do there is no point in promotion.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Exactly, and that was the reason why they went down. So because they did that - everyone else who goes up will do there is no point in promotion.

No, there isn't any point in promotion to a league where the best we can hope for without money men taking over the club is finishing top of a mini league of 6 to stave off relegation every season before inevitably slipping down anyway thanks to injuries, bad luck or whatever, all whilst being charged an absolute fortune not just by everyone else but most insultingly by your own club to enjoy this 'privilege'.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
No, there isn't any point in promotion to a league where the best we can hope for without money men taking over the club is finishing top of a mini league of 6 to stave off relegation every season before inevitably slipping down anyway thanks to injuries, bad luck or whatever, all whilst being charged an absolute fortune not just by everyone else but most insultingly by your own club to enjoy this 'privilege'.

Who says we need to be taken over ? Plenty of clubs who dont have massive budgets seem to not being doing that badly this season, Palace included.

If you dont like the fact we COULD be promoted - I trust you will visit your local non-league team instead. Besides, we might not be promoted this year.....or even ever.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Frankly, I'm a bit sick of hearing people say that it is too soon for us to go up to the Prem and that we will be a laughing stock and go straight back down.
With Oscar on board, I say let's go. Look at Swansea. Look at Norwich. Look at Palarse for goodness sake.
We are a big team now, we have massive gates, we have the youth academy on the way. We deserve to be in the Prem. Bring it on.

Deserve? Only if you win promotion

Feb 14, 2010

Dont need to be taken over, but do need a bigger ground for when the likes of Arsenal roll into town. Palace gates almost doubled when they went up, so will Burnley's. Fulham's will halve next year, in fact everyone gets bigger gates in the Premier League. Brighton would be no different. But Derby finished third and so deserve to go up instead of us.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Who says we need to be taken over ? Plenty of clubs who dont have massive budgets seem to not being doing that badly this season, Palace included.

If you dont like the fact we COULD be promoted - I trust you will visit your local non-league team instead. Besides, we might not be promoted this year.....or even ever.

Err...

Do I like that we are able to be promoted? Obviously. Do I want it to happen? No.

Go and have a :tosser: over the trains or something, you're not making any sense.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Err...

Do I like that we are able to be promoted? Obviously. Do I want it to happen? No.

Go and have a :tosser: over the trains or something, you're not making any sense.

Pot kettle black.

Just because some other teams have made a hash of trying to stay up - doesnt mean we'll go the same way. You have a poor argument and have resulted to a pretty poor comment as a reply, someone needs to grow up......

Hull havent done too badly this season as it happens, Swansea havent had a bad few years (though this year wasnt their greatest), West Brom havent been bad (again, excluding this year) and its the same for Norwich. Cardiff were a circus club so it was obvious they were going down and Fulham have overpaid players who couldnt care, similarly they tried throwing money at a problem which solves nothing.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Thought he was Brazilian myself, they speak Portugese so meh.....

Perhaps you were thinking of Deco maybe ? A naturalised Portuguese who was of Brazilian origin
As to to the language differences between Euro Portuguese and Brazilian Portugeuse there are quite a few

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here