Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are folk seemingly negative about us going up to the Prem?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It'd be fun to experience some new away days.

Be careful about that, away ticket will double in price - let alone what happens to ST prices

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Don't want us there, rather see us in the championship playing decent (hopefully in time!) football competitively. Not having to park the bus for 10 home games a season and hoping to snatch points from the rest whilst paying an arm and a leg to watch us hopefully not lose away every other week.

I think you have the gist of it.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Nobody should be negative about the opportunity to play in the biggest league in the world and a division we've never played in before.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
less games,shitty ko times and double the expense,but i would love it,would love it,if we did

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The board would probably prefer to be near the top of the Championship, than near the bottom of the Premiership

It is a business after all

Oh geez! - Not this hoary old chestnut again. It was around in the 1950's (and according to my Dad, in the 30's as well) - whenever Brighton's promotion push failed towards the end of rhe season (not difficult when only the champions were promoted!) it was always said that the directors didn't want the expense of longer distance travel to places like Middlesborough, Huddersfield, etc. if we left the cosy locality of division 3 (South).

We'll get money if we are in the top division next year; we'll get parachute payments if we come straight back down. What's to worry about? I personally won't mind at all if we bounce up and down for the next few seasons, gradually coming back stronger and stronger - bring it on!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Nobody should be negative about the opportunity to play in the biggest league in the world and a division we've never played in before.

I think you'll find we have played in the Top Division of English football before, just because it's name has changed it doesn't mean that our history has been wiped out!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think you'll find we have played in the Top Division of English football before, just because it's name has changed it doesn't mean that our history has been wiped out!

We've never played in the PL, it's new territory for us. A million miles from when we were last in the top flight.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I don't think that Tony Bloom created The Amex, the new training complex and employed top people across the Club to just tread water at Championship level. His goal is getting to the Prem and giving it a good go. He has already delivered on most of his objectives so as fans we have to believe that he will make it happen, maybe even this season. I'm sure that Tony knows he would then need to invest more heavily in the playing squad in order to be competitive.

OK the odds are against most promoted clubs staying up but there is no reason why we should not buck that trend. It won't be easy but we have already taken some Prem scalps over the last couple of seasons, so why not?

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
The board would probably prefer to be near the top of the Championship, than near the bottom of the Premiership

It is a business after all

Serious question ...
What is the prize money for finishing 17th in the Prem compared to the prize money for finishing 3rd in the Championship?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't want to go, I HATE everything the Premier League stands for.
But obviously I'll be loving it from the moment we were to arrive.

I think next season in the Championship could be a very special one for The Albion.

Dunk and Ince are sure to be the teams 'spine'.
March, will be given more opportunities.
JFC still has work to be do in order to be a first team regular.
Chicksen could well become more involved.
Players in the current under 21's could see cup/bench action.

I can't see any of that happening successful should we gain promotion.

Feb 14, 2010
We are not a big team and we dont deserve to be there. Not yet

Yeah that's right, we only get bigger gates than Leeds, Derby and a half of the Premier League but we are small team. Y'know clubs like palace and Burnley who get about 12000/14000 paying punters in the Championship are far better suited, as are Wigan. Just because this club has had no major trophy since 1910, it doesn't mean its a small team, it just means there been sod all ambition. Something tells me Tony's going to change that.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I want us to go up although I do worry that we'll end up attracting a few mercenary players who aren't good enough for most but might see us as a good way of getting a decent final contract. Even if we did drop back down, as long as we are sensible the parachute payments should bolster future chances of going up again.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Sadly, such is the power of advertising and branding that there are still some out there who honestly believe that football was invented in 1992!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
We are not a big team and we dont deserve to be there. Not yet

Yeah that's right, we only get bigger gates than Leeds, Derby and a half of the Premier League but we are small team. Y'know clubs like palace and Burnley who get about 12000/14000 paying punters in the Championship are far better suited, as are Wigan. Just because this club has had no major trophy since 1910, it doesn't mean its a small team, it just means there been sod all ambition. Something tells me Tony's going to change that.

I never said hat we are a small club, far from it but saying we are a big club is taking it a bit far (in my opinion) I completely agree that Tony will change things and the big crowds are great. But we haven't had them for a particularly long time and we haven't achieved anything (footballing wise. Still being a club at all is a massive achievement and staying in the league in 97 and surviving withdean is bigger than anything for me) the training ground is still being built, the lack of one has held us back for a long time. This is all changing obviously and the good times are here and may get better.

We are on our way to being a bigger club, but I don't think we are there yet and don't think anyone deserves to be in the Prem, especially not us yet. If we deserved to be there then we would have finished in the top two.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I want us to go up although I do worry that we'll end up attracting a few mercenary players who aren't good enough for most but might see us as a good way of getting a decent final contract. Even if we did drop back down, as long as we are sensible the parachute payments should bolster future chances of going up again.
That's the one thing I confidence won't happen.

Oscar's far too shrewd to have his head turned by a load of flim-flam from a money grabbing nobody.
Burke already has his list of 'Premier League' targets.
Tony isn't going bat-pooh crazy as the big cheque arrives.

It's almost as if we are Premier League Ready.

Feb 14, 2010
I never said hat we are a small club, far from it but saying we are a big club is taking it a bit far (in my opinion) I completely agree that Tony will change things and the big crowds are great. But we haven't had them for a particularly long time

? Who told you that, I remember 30000 gates at the goldstone before the dip in the 80 (which happened everywhere), so did my dad before me and so did my grandad before him. As for the no success, totally agree but on NSC most seem quite happy with that and ambition, desire, success and failure are dirty words. Either way, you certainly dont get success by being happy to get 28000 at home to Yeovil in the Championship or 30000 at home to Darlington on the 3rd division

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sadly, such is the power of advertising and branding that there are still some out there who honestly believe that football was invented in 1992!
The head of FIFA thinks it was invented by the Chinese :facepalm:

Feb 14, 2010
If we deserved to be there then we would have finished in the top two.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with that, but I'd say top three but even I would say the play offs are a good thing

Feb 14, 2010

Mate, all players are "mercenary" if you mean that like you, they will work for the person who pays them the most. This is the same whether in the Premier League all the way down to the Ryman Division 2.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here