Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Why are all these flights being delayed/cancelled ?

D

Deleted member 2719

As you've contributed regularly to this thread, and no-one else has mentioned it, I thought I'd respond and raise one issue that the airlines identify: Brexit.

Brexit has nothing I do with it, I won't engage with brexit talk as a know it was traumatic for some, hence me coming off the brexit thread years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I knew this would happen so got out the industry.

24 years ago.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
A report today of an evening flight to Italy departing from Gatwick last Monday flew empty, 2 hours late, even though passengers were waiting to board. The airline? Vueling. The reason? They only had 3 staff members to check in luggage and load the flight. The pilot was instructed to fly otherwise Italian airspace would be closed and the plane in the wrong place for the Tuesday morning flight. This even though passengers had made it through security and were standing at the gate! And this Vueling, part of the IAG...(BA & Iberia).

May I offer a tip? If Ryanair send you an email saying your flight time has been changed do NOT click the 'accept' button. Note the new departure time and leave it. The reason? They are liable to move it again most probably at a greater time than the 5 hour grace they have before they are obliged to give you a full refund. If you agree via the accept button the clock resets to that new time. You may come to regret it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Brexit has nothing I do with it, I won't engage with credit talk as a know it was traumatic for some, hence me coming off the brexit thread years ago.

It definitely hasn't :thumbsup:

Out of interest, what reasons do you think lie behind the staff shortages in the Airline industry, NHS, Food preparation, Logistics, Hospitality, Care Homes, Food and Fruit picking etc ???

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Saw on the Gatwick website that they're re-tarmacing the main runway at the moment and that the work runs from 9.30pm through to 5.30am. So I guess that's maybe going to affect some late night / early morning flights

Brilliant planning.
Had 2 years of hardly any flights to do that.

D

Deleted member 2719

It definitely hasn't :thumbsup:

Out of interest, what reasons do you think lie behind the staff shortages in the Airline industry, NHS, Food preparation, Logistics, Hospitality, Care Homes, Food and Fruit picking etc ???

I get it, your still full of hate for winners such as the brexiteers and tories. So thats exactly why I will not engage and go around in circles and prolong your pain.
I'm a lover not fighter.:dunky::lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I get it, your still full of hate for winners such as the brexiteers and tories. So thats exactly why I will not engage and go around in circles and prolong your pain.
I'm a lover not fighter.:dunky::lolol:

Of course, you could have entered into the grown up discussion and subject of the thread and suggested why the Airline industry is having so many problems. (The actual subject of the thread).

You could have expanded and given your opinion of the reasons you think lie behind the multiple staff shortages in the Airline industry, NHS, Food preparation, Logistics, Hospitality, Care Homes, Food and Fruit picking etc as I suggested ???

A bit like the recent NSC directions have encouraged proper grown up discussion.

But I think what you have posted gives a far clearer explanation of your thought :wink: process.

Take care :bigwave:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
When you have a world that is so interdependent, connected, “lean” and all the other factors that have contributed similarly to an unsustainable offering we’ve all come to not only love, but expect, it really isn’t such a surprise when it suddenly breaks because those variables aren’t as static/predictable/controllable as one was led to believe.

Basically we had it too good for a long while. Reckoning is here, or at least, it takes years to recover from the maelstrom we’ve just been through, and may find gets worse again before it gets better. People have been far too naive in thinking it’s 2019 again. Regardless of what businesses are endeavouring to provide (convince us everything’s ok, it’s 2019 again!)

D

Deleted member 2719

Of course, you could have entered into the grown up discussion and subject of the thread and suggested why the Airline industry is having so many problems. (The actual subject of the thread).

You could have expanded and given your opinion of the reasons you think lie behind the multiple staff shortages in the Airline industry, NHS, Food preparation, Logistics, Hospitality, Care Homes, Food and Fruit picking etc as I suggested ???

A bit like the recent NSC directions have encouraged proper grown up discussion.

But I think what you have posted gives a far clearer explanation of your thought :wink: process.

This is how it would go, I would say something then you would say the opposite, one of your mates jumps in and starts questions, i would answer with a point of view they would disagree with an opposite point of view, then 4 more of NSCc masons anonymous would jump in.

I would waste most of my evening, and get insults thrown at me.

Why would I want to discuss anything like Brexit with you guys it all been said.

Have a nice evening, in the bear pit.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
This is how it would go, I would say something then you would say the opposite, one of your mates jumps in and starts questions, i would answer with a point of view they would disagree with an opposite point of view, then 4 more of NSCc masons anonymous would jump in.

I would waste most of my evening, and get insults thrown at me.

Why would I want to discuss anything like Brexit with you guys it all been said.

Have a nice evening, in the bear pit.

Your unnecessary and pointless vent is noted.... again. Enjoy having a good evening conversation with yourself though.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

What a smart response.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Maybe they are wilfully slow at lateral thinking.....

Thanking you for the usual thumbs up endorsement [MENTION=35196]Is it PotG?[/MENTION] and exhorting you to be brave and make the same commitment in words....

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Maybe they are wilfully slow at lateral thinking.....

Thanking you for the usual thumbs up endorsement [MENTION=35196]Is it PotG?[/MENTION] and exhorting you to be brave and make the same commitment in words....
Too inhibited up against the learned combined wit of your good self and GAP.

Literally, lost for words.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Too inhibited up against the learned combined wit of your good self and GAP.

Literally, lost for words.

Many thanks for the unexpected written endorsement but maybe it's a little too sycophantic... perhaps another try?

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Right now? To give themselves breathing space after the other chaos of flight delays and very short term (hours) cancellations.

Underlying reason? The mass redundancies have left some airlines and certain airports (Manchester the persistent, shambolic worst) unable to cope with the 95% increase in passengers. Almost everyone got it wrong about the huge demand. Doomongers and modellers all talked of it taking 5 years.

NOT taking in account the war-chests saved by tens of millions WFH so having lower costs, with two years of being unable to spend on holidays and a social life, or others getting into credit card debt right now refusing to acknowledge the worsening cost of living crisis.

Sauce: common sense and some great analysis/anecdotes on BBCR4 eg You & Yours today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here