Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Why are all these flights being delayed/cancelled ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That sounds like a sh way of running a business

It’s difficult - some airlines run their planes on very tight turnaround times, so if there are delays that aren’t entirely their fault (like baggage handling for example which is a separate business) the schedules get trashed. There’s a massive shortage of staff prepared to do low paid work - we’re seeing it in the third sector quite acutely.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As you probably use easyJet more than most of us, has this been affecting your trips back? Is this also being replicated with other European based airlines that you are seeing from the German press?

Most trips have been impacted with either outright cancellations or being moved. As I understand it, EasyJet UK have far greater recruitment issues, and therefore staffing issues, than EasyJet Europe. This is consistent with my experience as it’s the EasyJet UK flight which is nearly always impacted; both EasyJet UK and Europe fly the BER-LGW route.

EasyJet UK have now removed some seats from planes so they can operate with one less crew member; this might mitigate the staff issue.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I hope it's not the pilot's seats.

Do they need 2 pilots? Point the plane in the direction you’re going and turn the ignition; it can’t be that difficult.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So, if understand this correctly, following the Covid shut down, the main problem is finding people who will take low paid jobs ?

Maybe they should try and recruit low paid workers from other industries like logistics, food preparation, care workers, hospitality, fruit picking, that sort of thing :shrug:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Ultimately the problem is our addiction to cheap flying.

Due to plentiful low wage employment and brexit restricting the employee pool, the sector is no longer able to tempt people into the industry on basic wages.

Wages will have to increase in real terms across all roles to tempt people in and this will be passed onto us.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
So, if understand this correctly, following the Covid shut down, the main problem is finding people who will take low paid jobs ?

Maybe they should try and recruit low paid workers from other industries like logistics, food preparation, care workers, hospitality, fruit picking, that sort of thing :shrug:

Or maybe they should pay their staff better?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think there’s an up and down bit involved :moo:

Still once they’ve sorted out driverless cats …pilotless planes next

I’ve got a bad feline about this.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Just had my easyjet flight moved from Gatwick to Luton next saturday.

Result for me as we needed to cancel anyway but too late for refund. Now they have changed it we get full refund !

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Ultimately the problem is our addiction to cheap flying.

Due to plentiful low wage employment and brexit restricting the employee pool, the sector is no longer able to tempt people into the industry on basic wages.

Wages will have to increase in real terms across all roles to tempt people in and this will be passed onto us.

Good.

I agree completely that rises in wages is a good thing.

As long as raging inflation and spiralling cost of living aren't a concern ???

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Saw on the Gatwick website that they're re-tarmacing the main runway at the moment and that the work runs from 9.30pm through to 5.30am. So I guess that's maybe going to affect some late night / early morning flights

yeah because they haven't really had much of a chance to tarmac the runways over the last 2and a half years have they....???

D

Deleted member 2719

I guess this is what happens if you shut down the whole industry and expect it to be back to normal inside 4/5 years.

People don’t want to go back into a now risky industry, airlines can’t recruit and are pinching staff off each other.

Dead right its common sense.
There was always going to be many aftershocks of the catastrophic covid quake, this is just one.
There are many time will heal and only time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here