Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why a drum is a bad idea….

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I realise this post actually has nothing to do with the idea of a drum really, but I still don't think it is a bad idea in principle. In theory it could unite the separate fractions in the North Stand and get songs sung at the correct speed. That Boro away game where we didn't get promoted was a perfect example of how a drum can work, their end was deafening that day, the singing loud and in unison. The drum was used sparingly and only to keep the singing in time once a new song started. The North Stand would be amazing if it was like that.

The problem is, the kind of person in Brighton who would volunteer to be the drummer would no doubt be some attention-seeking prick who insisted on over-using it and trying to orchestrate the singing themselves with drum solos like some kind of Lord of the North Stand. The other fractions would rebel against it and we'd end up with an even worse and fragmented atmosphere than we have now.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I realise this post actually has nothing to do with the idea of a drum really, but I still don't think it is a bad idea in principle. In theory it could unite the separate fractions in the North Stand and get songs sung at the correct speed. That Boro away game where we didn't get promoted was a perfect example of how a drum can work, their end was deafening that day, the singing loud and in unison. The drum was used sparingly and only to keep the singing in time once a new song started. The North Stand would be amazing if it was like that.

The problem is, the kind of person in Brighton who would volunteer to be the drummer would no doubt be some attention-seeking prick who insisted on over-using it and trying to orchestrate the singing themselves with drum solos like some kind of Lord of the North Stand. The other fractions would rebel against it and we'd end up with an even worse and fragmented atmosphere than we have now.
I agree, when the North stand get it right its bloody awesome, but those occasions are few and far between !
Something needs to be done to get the entire stand singing together, why not give a drum a go, you might find more people join in, if a song gets sung at the right speed rather than racing to get to the end every time too !

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I don't think Hodges is a North Stand regular though.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Well if you want to budge up a bit, I'll give it a go in the North Stand v Wolves :wink:

Terry-Bozzio-Kit-Setup-01-1024x768.jpg

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I was looking at getting to a game in Germany at Augsburg and came across this on their ticket site. Maybe the potential drummer should carry a warning too!

Ticket holders in the fan block may encounter typical interferences, such as obstructed views. These can result from fence banners, the use of double holders and swinging flags as well as the execution of choreographies or similar. Furthermore, a stage for fan animation is situated in front of the block and a loudspeaker system has been installed in order to allow coordinated support. These potential view obstructions could also have repercussions in terms of the viewing conditions from the other standing areas.
We hope to prevent any potential conflicts with these guidelines and ask that you take the information into consideration prior to purchasing a ticket.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
It's a slippery slope. It might start with a drum, then a megaphone, then choregraphed dance routines and matching clothing and before you know it we'll have open letters to the players and the club and a spurious claim to have been founded half a century earlier than we were.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I realise this post actually has nothing to do with the idea of a drum really, but I still don't think it is a bad idea in principle. In theory it could unite the separate fractions in the North Stand and get songs sung at the correct speed.
Given the choice between a drum and hepatitis, I'd take the illness.
There's nothing wrong with it in principle, in the same way as there's nothing wrong in principle with going to work with "I'm a massive twat" painted on your face.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Very little ruins my weekend more than getting to a Lewes game and realising the away fans have brought a bloody drum

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Agree with all this.

Although I'm sure there was a drum for one game at the end of last season, under the police box. Hopefully someone will confirm I'm not imagining it. I think not much was made of it at the time which is probably why the memory has slipped. Whoever was on it did a really good job, didn't overdo it and didn't use every song. The Caicedo song went on for ages.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I woke up at 4am today because of some loud percussive sounds coming from the roof of my house.

It was very drum attic.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Given the choice between a drum and hepatitis, I'd take the illness.
There's nothing wrong with it in principle, in the same way as there's nothing wrong in principle with going to work with "I'm a massive twat" painted on your face.
Agreed. If people start bringing a drum I'm going to start bringing a crossbow. An absolutely moronic noise.

All the spontaneous atmosphere of arriving at a New Year's Eve party to find a wallchart outlining the hosts fun activity plans for the evening.

Leave it to Croydon.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Brighton did that drumming guff decades ago. It belonged in Churchill Square, not the Goldstone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here