Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who's going to get relegated?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Leeds will be OK once Bamford is fit.

I think Norwich, Burnley and Watford.

Rafinha went off with what looks like a nasty injury on Saturday. I do agree that they'll probably be OK, but Bielsa runs the risk with having such a small squad.
The three you mention look the current most likely, yet:
-- I had a punt on Southampton when it was announced that Ings wasn't signing a new contract (I also had a Southampton, Norwich, Watford combo)
-- please let one of them be Newcastle
-- Watford have plenty of points already, far more than I expected
-- I always thought Burnley would go next -- and not this -- season. They serially appear in relegation lists, and manage to escape, and have retained the same playing personnel and manager. I thought that'd see them through this season. That said, they've started badly again (but in the past they've escaped that, and seem to be playing relatively well currently), and Tarkowski is in the final year of his contract -- he will be off in the summer, although I think Newcastle might buy him in Jan

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Norwich are going down.

Newcastle are certainly going to sign good players in January but there is a fair chance they will be too far behind and need some time to build a team out of their new players. Obviously the manager appointment is going to matter as well. 50/50 chance of them going down I'd say.

Burnley... dont count them out. They've had weak starts before and managed to stay up anyway. While obviously there is a chance they go down, I think they will most likely survive just barely.

Leeds, all of their fans and a lot of others think that they are going to be fine in the end. While this is probably more likely than the other way around, they are in for a battle. The point tally is one thing but that they are actually not playing well enough to deserve more than they get is worrying (for them, I really dont mind them going down).

Southampton, no idea.

Crystal Palace are probably staying up with a small margin. As usual they wouldnt be able to afford Zaha getting injured so bad things could happen...

Watford is a likely candidate. Yes they've had a few impressive results but overall I think their defense is too weak to stay out of a relegation battle.

Everyone else is likely to make it, I think though you never know with newcomers like Brentford despite their strong start.

In the end I think it will be Norwich, Newcastle and Watford going down.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The Newcastle scenario is fascinating as they currently look very weak and will be desperate to limit the damage before the cavalry arrive in January.
I can envisage Newcastle having possibly only about 12 points with 15 games to go. Their back to back games against Norwich and Burnley in the first week of December will be pivotal. Although realistically, getting a new manager and signing two or three top players in January should dig Newcastle out.

View attachment 141555

Norwich, Burnley & Newcastle for me.

I really think Newcastle will struggle. If they don't get the new manager bounce, they really will be f***ed and even if they do, they'll be up against it. I totally agree about those two games in early Dec.

They will need to move VERY quickly once the transfer window opens and even then it'll take a while for new players to settle in.

Realistically, that gives them these fixtures to turn it around with new players.

Those last 4 fixtures look tough for a team desperately needing points (imagine the scenes of shirtless fat blubbing Geordies if they lost a relegation decider at Turf Moor :lolol:):

Attachments

• NFC_Fixtures.jpg
    NFC_Fixtures.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 213

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I said Norwich, Newcastle and one other before the start of the season and I stick with that. I still don't know who the one other is though. It won't be Palace and I don't think it will be Burnley (Dyche will just about do enough). Could be Leeds, could be Southampton, could be Watford but my dark horses are Villa - they don't seem in a good place.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I said Norwich, Newcastle and one other before the start of the season and I stick with that. I still don't know who the one other is though. It won't be Palace and I don't think it will be Burnley (Dyche will just about do enough). Could be Leeds, could be Southampton, could be Watford but my dark horses are Villa - they don't seem in a good place.

Would be really embarrasing if they go down with that squad. Wouldnt mind it though..

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Norwich are one of the poorest sides to grace the Premier League in recent years, and are all but doooomed already.

So difficult to tell who might join them though, two out of Burnley, Watford, Southampton and Newcastle l'd say.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Norwich - Didn't look too bad against us and only got a point. Sort of thing relegated teams though.
Burnley - I said they were going down after we pulled two goals back on them on the opening day of the season. Boxer that has gone a bout too far
Newcastle - I think they will have too much to do come January. Plus they won't have quite the pick of the players people think as they will know they will either be sidelined for better players next season if they stay up or playing in the Championship if they don't.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
If Norwich can beat Leeds then Leeds are in the relegation battle. I still don’t see them as nervous but if they lose then they soon will be! Can’t see it though.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I don't see Newcastle's billions saving them this year, that's a longer term project. For me the bottom three today will be the bottom three in May - Burnley, Newcastle, Norwich.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I have money on Norwich, Soton and Watford. Got a feeling Burnley may be in trouble though

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just how many boxes of Pringles do I need to watch Twitter if it's Newcastle and Leeds ?

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
FWIW, FiveThirtyEight has Norwich, Newcastle and Burnley at the bottom with relegation chances of 78%, 54% and 42% respectively. Watford (36%), Leeds (19%), Palace (19%) and Southampton (18%) follow. Obviously their model can't account for what might happen in the January window, especially WRT to Newcastle.

So Norwich are close to certain already. Newcastle are in a hole, but could dig themselves out if they get the right manager and if they manage to recruit the right reinforcements and if those reinforcements have an immediate impact. I wouldn't bet against them, but that is a lot of ifs. Also, I'd laugh my ass off if they do get relegated. If Leeds went with them it would be just amazing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here