Palace
Hull
Sunderland
Swansea
West Ham
Bournemouth
Southampton

Really?

Literally none of those are "top teams"...

It's just the flip side of Saturday's result.

If a promoted team can bumble along picking up earned points and the odd surprise one, the Premier League in layman's terms appears reasonably straightforward.

It most definitely isn't the division for chasing points.
Playing any of those teams in a '6 pointer' while on a 5 or 6 game losing run would be something to be afraid of.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not a sentimental romantic dream at all. Yes we would need to improve the squad but don't write our current one off completely mate. Try telling every player at BHA they are not good enough for the PL. Some may agree, others would chin you. You make us sound like a Sunday league team

Oh for heaven's sake, why don't you read properly before engaging your keyboard! I didn't in any way right off our current squad; in fact I referred to it as 'excellent'. Didn't you manage to spot that bit? And where on earth did I suggest that every player at BHA is not good enough for the PL? That's right, I didn't.
But the reality is that not all of them will be playing for us next season if we go up*. If you think that makes us sound like a Sunday league team, then all I can do is shake my head sadly.

*For what it's worth, I think most of them will still be with us - but as for speculating as to which ones will or won't, I won't even try.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
They way I see it, if we are in the Premier League next season then you're going to have 2 or 3 different "types" of games.

You'll have the games against the behemoths, the Chelseas and Man Citys, where defeat is almost inevitable and anything you can get is a huge bonus.
You'll have the games against the upper-middlers, the West Broms and Evertons, where you should hope to harvest a reasonable return, at home at least
Then you'll have the games agains the dross, the Hulls, Swanseas, Palace's, Burnleys, who you simply HAVE to turn over on a regular basis if you're going to make a fist of avoiding the drop.

So although the glamour games are the ones we'd all get excited about, its actually the games against the humdrum bottom-feeders which are FAR more crucial in the context of the mission to stay in the PL. Taking the points in those will be far more valuable in the long run.

It'll be fun, if we get there.

Totally agree. I think this is what would happen with our current squad plus some new signings, IF we go up. I don't think we could 'do a Leicester' with what we have at the moment but with a few seasons under our belt we could be a strong contender for the upper half of the PL.
I know i'm getting carried away but i'm still tingling after the Brum game. Awesome.
SEEEEEEEEEEAGUUUULS

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
doesn't look all that on paper but I bet its totally different when you get there.

Once chance - one goal

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Oh for heaven's sake, why don't you read properly before engaging your keyboard! I didn't in any way right off our current squad; in fact I referred to it as 'excellent'. Didn't you manage to spot that bit? And where on earth did I suggest that every player at BHA is not good enough for the PL? That's right, I didn't.
But the reality is that not all of them will be playing for us next season if we go up*. If you think that makes us sound like a Sunday league team, then all I can do is shake my head sadly.

*For what it's worth, I think most of them will still be with us - but as for speculating as to which ones will or won't, I won't even try.

"We might love the current team/squad, but to think we'll just keep the same team and prosper in the PL is just a sentimental romantic dream."

............and your not willing to speculate who the romantic dreamers are in the squad but just throw this out there like it isn't a bit of a put down? Nobody expects us to NOT buy quality players with the cash available. But if we kept the exact same squad I personally think we would survive, not prosper. How much money/time would it take us to realistically compete for Championship League qualification? Three, four seasons?? Prosper????? Who's dreaming now then?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Noticed a lot of threads and comments that mention the PL in reverence as if it is populated by aliens with three legs who are unbeatable. IMHO, apart from the big six, there are no teams that BHA couldn't beat. Comments like Duffy or the possible incoming lad from Derby 'are not PL players' or we need marquee (??) players is bollocks. CH has proven that its the team ethic that draws the best from the players, week in, week out. Am I being unrealistic, or did Hull, Stoke, Blackpool etc do something drastic to stay in the PL that I missed??
:shrug:

Didn't TB or maybe PB say recently that it was far harder to get into the PL than to stay there? Very wise words, whoever said them. there's so much cannon-fodder in that division it's unbelievable.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
'Giving them a decent game' isn't what it's all about though. Our current squad is excellent, no doubt - but whether we go up or not, there will be some different names in it next season. If we do go up, and want to survive and ultimately consolidate, of course we will need to improve our squad - that's plain common sense. We might love the current team/squad, but to think we'll just keep the same team and prosper in the PL is just a sentimental romantic dream.
Where we need to strengthen, who to keep and who to replace (and who to bring in)? - I've no idea, but I'm sure CH and the recruitment team will be on it already.

That exactly what I meant - hence why I posted 'even with the current squad' - we're bound to add if we go up, and we'll need to.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If we make it the PL is going to be hard. The players are bigger, stronger, fitter, faster and more skilful than players in this league. We have a fine Championship team, but it will need upgrading if we ever get there.

:)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Didn't TB or maybe PB say recently that it was far harder to get into the PL than to stay there? Very wise words, whoever said them. there's so much cannon-fodder in that division it's unbelievable.

You say that, but if for example:

Newcastle, BHA and Villa/Derby up through playoffs.
Swansea, Hull and Palarse/Sunderland/Burnley relegated.

Will make it more competitive than this season, this season is an absolute joke.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We are nearly halfway through the season.

Middlesbrough, Leicester and Palace have all won FOUR games all season. None of them are in the relegation zone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We are nearly halfway through the season.

Middlesbrough, Leicester and Palace have all won FOUR games all season. None of them are in the relegation zone.
Hopefully I've remembered this correctly from the weekend, (the length of time and quantity of games isn't in doubt)

Sunderland have not won 3 consecutive games, at home*, for 5 years.

*That's the bit I'm not sure of, it might be worse, it might just be 3 games, period.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why do I get a horrible feeling this thread will be bounced to **** in May

There's really nothing to bounce, its only a THEORETICAL discussion. No different to any other teams fans who are in with a genuine chance of promotion at the halfway stage.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Of the last 18 sides to be promoted from The Championship, only 6 have come down the next year.

Someone might want to check that but I think it's right. If we went up, I think the club is in a decent spot to give it a good go. However, I'd much rather be a yo-yo club for a few years than blow a load of money and get it spectacularly wrong.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
"We might love the current team/squad, but to think we'll just keep the same team and prosper in the PL is just a sentimental romantic dream."

............and your not willing to speculate who the romantic dreamers are in the squad but just throw this out there like it isn't a bit of a put down? Nobody expects us to NOT buy quality players with the cash available. But if we kept the exact same squad I personally think we would survive, not prosper. How much money/time would it take us to realistically compete for Championship League qualification? Three, four seasons?? Prosper????? Who's dreaming now then?
'Romantic dreamers in the squad' - who (apart from you) said anything about there being romantic dreamers in the squad? Not me for certain. So why do you keep making things up and replying to things that were never said?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here