Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Who's afraid of spiders?

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
what is the point of pet tarantulas

You could say the same thing about any pet, it's a matter of personal preference. For me, I decided to keep tarantulas because I wanted an unusual pet originally. I'd kept goldfish and tropical fish for years and I wanted something different. I love cats and dogs and I used to have 2 cats, but one was hit by a car and killed and I never wanted to experience that loss again, so I wanted a pet that I wouldn't become so attached to. It is surprising how even a tarantula can soon become a much loved member of the family. You certainly begin to see them in a different light when you've cared for them and watched them grow, and although they spend most of the time sitting there like a statue, it can be absolutely fascinating to watch them going about their business, cleaning themselves and their enclosure or spinning a silk carpet to moult on, and the moulting process itself is like watching a miracle of nature. I used to have 4 tarantulas, but one of them became sick last year and suffered an unpleasant death, and I cried like a baby! At the end of the day, it's still a living animal and not something to be feared.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I don't like spiders, but I can deal with them by the good old glass & bit of card method. Then I chuck them outside - job done.

Last night there was a shriek from my daughter to go deal with a spider. Being in Oz I kind of expected to see a massive house spider and was sh1tting it, but it wasn't too big so I put the glass over it, slid a piece of card under it and then we saw the red bit on it's shiny back......................

http://www.spiders.com.au/red-back-spider.html

That bar steward died:eek:

Redbacks are ok. Rarely come inside. Love bits of galvanised iron and gully traps.

It's the White Tails that are the nasty ****ers.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I hate them and have a pathological fear and hatred of their kind but we really shouldn't because they do so much good around our houses and gardens etc.

I couldn't even click on the link because the fear of what might be over here was too much for me to bear. Pathetic I know.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Adopted this bad boy in our garden in Spain - he's quite partial to the odd spider......

image.jpg

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
I'm quite partial to spiders because they keep our flat clear of pests. But in all Seriousness

683c8f08efd26f8fb855447427f7fd97.jpg

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I cant stand spiders.
I was in bed yesterday playing resident evil on my xbox one and then in the corner of my eye a massive spider crawls on to of the bed towards me.i get up and scream, went and got the handheld hoover and sucked it up. Could see it running around in the cylinder.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I cant stand spiders.
I was in bed yesterday playing resident evil on my xbox one and then in the corner of my eye a massive spider crawls on to of the bed towards me.i get up and scream, went and got the handheld hoover and sucked it up. Could see it running around in the cylinder.

What about the trapping it in the glass trick and putting it outside :shrug:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
If the glass strategy is adopted, then it is a vital aspect of this particular approach that any wine has been TOTALLY drained from the receptacle prior to any form of arachnological contact.

DSC03612_small.JPG

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
I've had a small spider living in my shower for about a month now. He's only got four legs, three on one side and one on the other. Every morning when I get in the shower I look up to see him clumsily spinning his web, struggling lopsidedly against the impediments of his missing two legs. I'm very inspired in a Robert the Bruce pre-Bannockburn kind of way by the manner in which it battles and triumphs against such adversity every day. He really gives me a sense of determination to face the trials and tribulations that my days inevitably bring. I think everyone should have a four legged spider living in their shower.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here