Who would you want after Gus

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mar 10, 2006
Yes they would, because he's a very good manager out of work.

I was 3 when he left so have no nostalgia playing a part in this.

That good that no ones given him a job for god knows how long. Surely something must be up with him for that to happen. How many jobs have come up at all levels since he fell out of the game - and no he hasn't been offered them all and turned them down I'm sure.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Chris Powell, Kenny Jackett, Eddie Howe. Someone with a touch more humility than Mr Poyet.

Agree and be happy with all 3 but think any talk of Chris Powell unrealistic and a bit disrespectful to Charlton, why would he jump ship ? Be like them coming in for Poyet, a well run club with great stadium and good support and he has history with club / fans and well liked, and a club with potential, I wouldn't recommend he move when its going well, too many managers do.

Eddie Howe as things turn out probably in much the same category and very happy at B'mouth though it would be step up if he didn't mind short commute.

Been very impressed with Kenny Jackett (and out of work) made some good signings, best out of players and handles media well, not one to ruffle feathers. Hope shortlist if things change

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Posted this on another thread but it is worth saying twice:

I want flair icons, none of this prosaic boring steady manager nonsense. So for me Zdenek Zeman or Marcelo Bielsa.

I mean read this about Bielsa's methodology:

A fanatic of football videos that he adds to his collection, Bielsa on occasion checks pitch measurements by pacing them out before deciding on a particular formation. He allocates separate training times for different parts of his squad. Former Argentine national team captain Roberto Ayala and defender under Bielsa stated "Sometimes we wouldn't see any of the strikers, because he'd have them training at a different time, and it was the same with the midfielders. He's an innovator, and one of the people who I've learned most from during my career."[2]

He is known for watching and collecting numerous soccer videos to the point of obsession. He edits and analyzes each video for each individual player. He also utilizes statistical software and other technological tools to prepare for games. John Carlin, an english journalist, has stated that Bielsa "has the most cultured library of soccer in the world. His resources are infinite, he is a step ahead of most coaches out there, including Ferguson and van Gaal. The man is serious and there is a high intellectual component in his method.[26]

His leadership is based on serious methodology and very formal conversation that seems awkward and odd for players, especially in the beginning. However through these methods of obsessive formality he has managed to convince his players to play attacking football in all teams he has coached. Athletic Bilbao's striker Fernando Llorente said in an interview "At first he seems tough and he may even annoy you with his persistence and don't-take-no-for-an-answer resilience, but in the end he is a genius. he convinces you to keep working and running and it can be seen in his teams' games and practices. He knows more than anyone in the world, he is elite. Once you get used to him you love him."[27] Barcelona's Pep Guardiola called him the "best manager in the world" in 2012.[28] 3–3–1–3 is his signature formation.

3-3-1-3, come on let's have some of that.

adammicheal

Jan 3, 2006
If Gus wants to go let him go but make it clear he cant take other staff with him, then give Tarrico the managers job with oatway as assistant and calde as player coach

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
I personally think Gus will leave if he gets offered a Premiership job so the next question is who would you like to succeed him

I tip Jesus. Works wonders with very little, great following, good network and will keep the faith.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Some real shit selections people have chosen. I mean Jackett, Howe???

I would be massively disappointed if we couldn't attract an ex Premiership manager to come to us or someone decent from overseas.

briggsy

May 2, 2011
West Hove
Some real shit selections people have chosen. I mean Jackett, Howe???

I would be massively disappointed if we couldn't attract an ex Premiership manager to come to us or someone decent from overseas.

Harry Redknapp
Luis Enrique
Nigel Adkins

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Phil Neville as player manager. Intelligent guy with good contacts, and can take Bridcutt's place when he leaves.

ThePolishJig

Mar 21, 2013
My shortlist; Di Matteo,Freedman,Powell,Rafa and Martinez.

I know I've listed a couple of internationals, but I think it should be someone English, they would have a clearer understand of the palace rivalry. And they would get it more than a foreigner

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Luis Enrique has a rubbish record as manager so far in his career not keen.

That Bilbao manager sounds incredible love it. But ultimately no chance!!

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
If Gus does go then the most likely based on what is evident is that RDM will be the new Manager. Current bookies fav, out of work, experience in getting out of this division and high profile enough to attract players.

The interesting one is Rafa, he wants a 2 or 3 year "project" which is what we would be, but TB would have to persuade him to come here I would have thought.

Still hoping Gus will stay though.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Posted this on another thread but it is worth saying twice:

I want flair icons, none of this prosaic boring steady manager nonsense. So for me Zdenek Zeman or Marcelo Bielsa.

I mean read this about Bielsa's methodology:

A fanatic of football videos that he adds to his collection, Bielsa on occasion checks pitch measurements by pacing them out before deciding on a particular formation. He allocates separate training times for different parts of his squad. Former Argentine national team captain Roberto Ayala and defender under Bielsa stated "Sometimes we wouldn't see any of the strikers, because he'd have them training at a different time, and it was the same with the midfielders. He's an innovator, and one of the people who I've learned most from during my career."[2]

He is known for watching and collecting numerous soccer videos to the point of obsession. He edits and analyzes each video for each individual player. He also utilizes statistical software and other technological tools to prepare for games. John Carlin, an english journalist, has stated that Bielsa "has the most cultured library of soccer in the world. His resources are infinite, he is a step ahead of most coaches out there, including Ferguson and van Gaal. The man is serious and there is a high intellectual component in his method.[26]

His leadership is based on serious methodology and very formal conversation that seems awkward and odd for players, especially in the beginning. However through these methods of obsessive formality he has managed to convince his players to play attacking football in all teams he has coached. Athletic Bilbao's striker Fernando Llorente said in an interview "At first he seems tough and he may even annoy you with his persistence and don't-take-no-for-an-answer resilience, but in the end he is a genius. he convinces you to keep working and running and it can be seen in his teams' games and practices. He knows more than anyone in the world, he is elite. Once you get used to him you love him."[27] Barcelona's Pep Guardiola called him the "best manager in the world" in 2012.[28] 3–3–1–3 is his signature formation.

3-3-1-3, come on let's have some of that.

Agreed!

mikehand

Aug 5, 2007
Oddschecker.com at 11PM tonight:
Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 3.02.26 PM.png

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Would Di Matteo really come here after his good friend has left under a cloud. Secondly do we really want to win ugly like Chelsea did, not really that inspiring IMO

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports