Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who will we play first at Falmer?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
KinkyGoebels said:
Why o why would you want wrexham?

Piers be able to clear this up but you want big crowds for your first 3 games as it affects something
For our first game, we'd fill it if we played against a team of stuffed penguins.

Doncaster Rovers were the last team to play at The Goldstone, and they subsequently hit the skids big time the next season. We played a small part in rescuing them from oblivion.

Having said that, I wouldn't have a problem if it was Wrexham either.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Large One said:
For our first game, we'd fill it if we played against a team of stuffed penguins.

Doncaster Rovers were the last team to play at The Goldstone, and they subsequently hit the skids big time the next season. We played a small part in rescuing them from oblivion.

Having said that, I wouldn't have a problem if it was Wrexham either.

Mah - part of me agrees part of me doesnt about filling the ground - i do think if you play a league 1 club (doncaster or wrexham) you may have a problem.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
People will go to the first game even if only for curiosity.

However, most will go because, with the club having been 11 years homeless by then, they will want to see what if was they were fighting for. And take pride from the fact that they played a part - to a greater or lesser degree - in campaigning for it.

Doncaster and Wrexham will understand, perhaps more than most, what it means to nearly have your club taken from you by a bent businessman. So in that sense, asking say Palace or Spurs or Celtic to play will be kind of pointless, because the vast majority of their fans will be ambivalent towards our new stadium. Doncaster and Wrexham fans will certainly not be.

It's a statement of symbolism to play one of them.

tomysupercup

North Stand Kollective
Sep 17, 2004
NORTH STAND
KinkyGoebels said:

You have over 21,000 posts yet don't know why numerous people want Doncaster Rovers to be the first team at Falmer.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Large One said:
People will go to the first game even if only for curiosity.

However, most will go because, with the club having been 11 years homeless by then, they will want to see what if was they were fighting for. And take pride from the fact that they played a part - to a greater or lesser degree - in campaigning for it.

Doncaster and Wrexham will understand, perhaps more than most, what it means to nearly have your club taken from you by a bent businessman. So in that sense, asking say Palace or Spurs or Celtic to play will be kind of pointless, because the vast majority of their fans will be ambivalent towards our new stadium. Doncaster and Wrexham fans will certainly not be.

It's a statement of symbolism to play one of them.

Spurs where close to closing in 90/91 - but i do see your point

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
KinkyGoebels said:
Mah - part of me agrees part of me doesnt about filling the ground - i do think if you play a league 1 club (doncaster or wrexham) you may have a problem.

I really don't think you'll have any problem filling the stadium for the first game. I'd rather play a match that means something than end up with something meaningless like Espanyol, as (I think) Soton did.

It would be fantastic to see Brighton v Doncaster 11 years after that match.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
doncaster

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
jimmyseagull said:
A 4-Way mini Tournament called Fans United Trophy:

Brighton
Doncaster
Wrexham
AFC Wimbledon

Good call. I'd definitely go along with that one!

Just posted an alternative on a parallell thread on Bfans.com

Brighton
Reading
Coventry City
Hull City.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Buzza said:
Good call. I'd definitely go along with that one!

Just posted an alternative on a parallell thread on Bfans.com

Brighton
Reading
Coventry City
Hull City.

Can't believe that ex BHAFC managers will still manage those clubs by the time Falmer is built - however a £10 to you if they do still :lolol:

wilbob

Oct 22, 2005
jimmyseagull said:
A 4-Way mini Tournament called Fans United Trophy:

Brighton
Doncaster
Wrexham
AFC Wimbledon
Wonderful idea!
Hope to be there whoever you play all the better if we're involved as well! As for playing a league 1 team such as Donny or Wrexham....... well thanks to the football league we're currently a division below, however in 3 years time, Championship? Well you never know!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Beach Hut said:
Can't believe that ex BHAFC managers will still manage those clubs by the time Falmer is built - however a £10 to you if they do still :lolol:

Interesting point Beachy.

Strangely enough my money would be on Mickey Adams to be the first of the 3 to go!

Still you are offering to GIVE me a tenner (not a bet) so I have nothing to lose! :drink: :lol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Buzza said:
Still you are offering to GIVE me a tenner (not a bet) so I have nothing to lose! :drink: :lol:

No you don't, I'll go with Adams as well.

However what wager he leads us out at Falmer ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here