Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who will qualify for the 2023-24 UEFA Europa League?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Let's hope Zorya Luhansk don't make a comeback against Slavia Prague - I can't see many takers for a trip to Ukraine. PBOBE will be facing a hefty insurance bill for that one

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Let's hope Zorya Luhansk don't make a comeback against Slavia Prague - I can't see many takers for a trip to Ukraine. PBOBE will be facing a hefty insurance bill for that one
They won’t be playing in Ukraine. The second leg of their qualifier is being played in Poland.

Of the other Ukrainian clubs who have been involved in qualifiers Dnipro-1 have played their qualifiers in Slovakia. Dynamo Kyiv are playing in Romania. Vorskla Poltava played in Poland too (but they have been knocked out).

Shaktar will play their Champions League games in Hamburg.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They won’t be playing in Ukraine. The second leg of their qualifier is being played in Poland.
Thanks, that's good to know. Wiki says that since the war, they're playing their matches elsewhere ... but still in Ukraine. They'll have to go some to overturn the deficit on neutral ground.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Thanks, that's good to know. Wiki says that since the war, they're playing their matches elsewhere ... but still in Ukraine. They'll have to go some to overturn the deficit on neutral ground.
I think league games are being played at home grounds in the Ukraine where possible. Zorya are from Luhansk which is in the Russian occupied Dunbas area of Ukraine so they've got to play their league games elsewhere. This season they'll be playing in a stadium near Kyiv, last season they shared the stadium of Dynamo Kyiv.

All european ties, as well as Ukraine's Euro 2024 qualifiers are being played in other countries.

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
Is anyone else not as excited about the Europa League as they thought they’d be?! Maybe after the draw comes out and if we get 1 or 2 we’ll known European teams I’ll be looking forward to it, but to me the Premier League seems much more interesting than the Europa League. Now if it had been the Champions League we’d qualified for, that’s be exciting.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Is anyone else not as excited about the Europa League as they thought they’d be?! Maybe after the draw comes out and if we get 1 or 2 we’ll known European teams I’ll be looking forward to it, but to me the Premier League seems much more interesting than the Europa League. Now if it had been the Champions League we’d qualified for, that’s be exciting.
On the contrary for me - the closer it gets the more I excited I am! I don’t usually keep looking how random teams from Norway, Greece, Turkey, Portugal, Switzerland and Israel are doing - but I did last night!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm hoping we will be at home in that first game, to allow more time to plan the away trips. Found myself searching various flight options but the variables of which clubs we may get and the possible dates when we might play them are too many to do anything serious before the draw.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Can we add a dislike button for this kinda stuff?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I smell jealous Palace!!

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Initially, last season, I wasn’t over-excited as I thought the competition would be full of obscure teams but I’ve now realised that these group stages are packed with legendary names. So I’m definitely excited! Whether I’ll get an away ticket is another matter. I’d love to get a tie against Freiburg, where I used to have a season ticket, or anywhere in Switzerland. But I’d settle for any away game.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
When you were a kid, did you get excited about Christmas or find it all a bit dull and couldn’t wait to get back to school?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
If anyone was planning on trying to catch the train to Backa Topola from Belgrade
IMG_6701.jpeg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If anyone was planning on trying to catch the train to Backa Topola from Belgrade
View attachment 165694
Ha, I remember travelling on this route about 20 years ago. The train seemed to crawl along and then stopped, in the middle of nowhere, for about an hour. It's not far between the two cities (319km) but IIRC, the train took about six or seven hours to get there.

Any ties involving games with east European teams may have quite a few journeys like this.

Fiskmås

Jan 2, 2020
Molde looks quite difficult to get to…

But... so worth it!

If we end up playing them I will do my best to convince every lucky sod who gets a ticket to call in sick for a week to explore the surroundings. I am definitely biased (my dad grew up some 40 miles from Molde and I spent all my summers there as a kid), but it really is one of the most beautiful areas on earth.

My tip would be to fly to Ålesund on the coast, and then drive/bus to Molde. Not more than a 3 hour(ish) journey (including the ferry at the end) and majestic doesn't even begin to describe it. Within day trip distance there is also the Goblin wall, the Goblin ladder, the Geiranger fjord and... just too many places to mention.

I gave it 45 seconds to find a video that does it even close to justice, and didn't manage very well, but there are millions of clips of the area for anyone who wants to spend the evening going down that particular YouTube rabbit hole.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
But... so worth it!

If we end up playing them I will do my best to convince every lucky sod who gets a ticket to call in sick for a week to explore the surroundings. I am definitely biased (my dad grew up some 40 miles from Molde and I spent all my summers there as a kid), but it really is one of the most beautiful areas on earth.

My tip would be to fly to Ålesund on the coast, and then drive/bus to Molde. Not more than a 3 hour(ish) journey (including the ferry at the end) and majestic doesn't even begin to describe it. Within day trip distance there is also the Goblin wall, the Goblin ladder, the Geiranger fjord and... just too many places to mention.

I gave it 45 seconds to find a video that does it even close to justice, and didn't manage very well, but there are millions of clips of the area for anyone who wants to spend the evening going down that particular YouTube rabbit hole.

AS POINTED OUT ABOVE V V V UNLIKELY WE WILL PLAY MOLDE AS WE ARE BOTH ALMOST CERTAINLY IN POT 3!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here