Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who will qualify for the 2023-24 UEFA Europa League?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Watched the first half hour of Rangers last night and they were awful, we should be rooting we get them from pot one

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Pot 1: Roma (would love RDZ to rip that horrible dinosaur Jose to shreds) or Ajax (prestige name but hoping they’re a bit light)
Pot 2: anyone but Sporting, Marseille or Qarabag (too far)
Pot 4: not the Serbian team, Athens (too far?), Limassol (too far) or Hacken (too cold)

But yes bring it on and I know how incredibly entitled my typing all that was. It was just if I had a choice!

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Delighted that Aberdeen are out. I wish Rangers were too. All our lives we've waited for the miracle of European football: I don't want to go to bloody SCOTCHLAND.
Why? What exactly is wrong with 'Scotchland'? I'm intrigued to hear what is wrong with it...over to you...

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Why? What exactly is wrong with 'Scotchland'? I'm intrigued to hear what is wrong with it...over to you...
I'm guessing I'm on the same wavelength as Edna - isn't it pretty obvious? I've nothing against Scotland, but in our first year of European football imo it wouldn't be very exciting to be drawn against another British team. I'd get over it obviously (especially if we smashed them) but I'll be irked if we are drawn in the same group tomorrow. Tbh I'm surprised some on here do seem to want Rangers of all the teams we could draw against in unique/exciting/exotic sounding destinations. Each to their own I suppose

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
So winning the Europa conference last year not only puts West Ham automatically in to the Europa League, but it automatically puts them in pot 1?
Yes because that’s how UEFA structure it. In the Champions League the defending champions and the Europa League winners are automatically in pot 1.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I probably won't have enough points to get an away ticket so it's academic really. Perhaps Roma as Stadio Olympiko (sp) is pretty huge and I might have a chance of getting in. Would have loved Freiburg as I used to have an ST there when I lived down that way, but they're in our group so no immediate prospect of playing them. Servette (Geneva) would be nice. Not wild about the idea of Marseille. Would love to see Albion at Ibrox but don't much fancy the home game in terms of the chaos. Mind you, the atmosphere would be great.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I've got a feeling Albion fans will get a holiday in Cyprus.

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
I would have liked Aberdeen to be in the draw. My dad's an Aberdeen fan and it seems unlikely our two sides will have many chances to meet (unless we drop to the Conference League after the group stage). On the other hand, I'd have no chance of getting an away ticket and I found out tonight that he was last at Pittodrie in 1956, so unless Aberdeen's purchase history records are astonishingly comprehensive he probably couldn't have helped me out with a ticket in the home end.

Wouldn't mind Rangers. I understand the appeal of the more exotic destinations but my loyalty points won't get me into the smaller grounds and I can't justify the carbon emissions of flying to remote corners of Europe just for 90 minutes of a football match. Speaking selfishly I'm looking for large stadia that I can reach by train. Rangers fit the bill, I would have a few options for free accommodation with friends or relatives, and it would be so very satisfying to give them the kind of thrashing that Villa inflicted on Hibs. With the two English clubs in pot 1 I've got a 1 in 6 chance. Agreed that I wouldn't be looking forward to their fans turning up here, though.

Failing that, just based on capacity it looks like I should be hoping for AS Roma or Ajax from pot 1 and Sporting, Real Betis or Marseille from pot 3. I assume I'm screwed for pot 4 unless we get a very generous allocation.

Just for the entertainment value, though, I'd love to see exactly how animated RDZ could get on the touchline if we were playing Atalanta.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I've lived in Prague for the past 12 years, so naturally I'm hoping we get Slavia from Pot 2. My grandad supported them, my cousins support them, and I'll probably be able to get into the game (even if it means hiding among the Slavia fans).

Honestly, I'd have preferred Sparta as they're "the enemy" as far as the Czech side of my family are concerned. And I know a lot more Sparta fans than Slavia fans. But they're in the same pot as us, so that can't happen 'til the knockout stages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here