banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
IMG_7797.png

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I would love for us to get Kalvin Phillips either on loan or on a permanent deal from City, but I feel wages would be too high.
Also that isn't the kind of signing we usually make.
Baleba looks like a good, albeit raw at the moment, signing. Can't wait to sell him off for circa £200m (inflation accounted for) to the "big-six (TM)" in a few years

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Heard an amusing exchange on the radio over the weekend (can't remember if it was Talksport or BBC5 - I was channel hopping to try and keep up with the Caicedo saga) and one of the presenters mentioned one of those sites that does analytics, diagnostics, all that pallaver. They had been trying to find players who were closest to matching Caicedo's profile. One of the closest they found was "a young Scottish footballer, Marc Lee-oh-nard (I kid you not - Lee-oh-nard!) who plays for Northampton Town in League 1." The other presenter, in a surprised tone that suggested he'd just Googled him, came back with, "and he's on loan from Brighton."

Cue a couple of seconds of stunned silence! No, I'm not suggesting for one moment that Marc Leonard is our ready-made Caicedo replacement - certainly not yet anyway!
Think i read that statically over the whole of last season Leonard had the closest stats to Moises of anyone in Europe.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It seems obvious from watching all of these highlights reels that the answer to the question 'Who will be the Caicedo replacement?' is 'Unfortunately, nobody. That's why we got £115m for him.' It seems better to watch these and ask yourself, 'Imagine we had never had him, who would be the Bissouma replacement?'

Even that seems a very high bar. Before he was MotM for Spurs on Saturday, I'd been wondering why he, rather than Lavia, wasn't being considered as Chelsea and Liverpool's next best bet if they couldn't get MC. Biss would have run that game yesterday for either team and I'm sure both of them would outpay Spurs in wages.

I'm now watching these videos and considering who looks like Biss did when we first got him: athletic, energetic and obviously talented, but raw and with a lot to learn. The problem with highlights videos is that they'll show you passes, shots and tackles, but won't show you midfielders shielding the ball, playing on the half turn and patrolling the backline.

However, if Dahoud continues to get up to speed and Gilmour continues on his current upwards trajectory, all we need is someone who can keep the ball, play it short in tight spaces and keep up with / take out opponents on the counter attack. We just need a Wilfried Ndidi. (However, not the one who played for Leicester last year).

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It seems obvious from watching all of these highlights reels that the answer to the question 'Who will be the Caicedo replacement?' is 'Unfortunately, nobody. That's why we got £115m for him.' It seems better to watch these and ask yourself, 'Imagine we had never had him, who would be the Bissouma replacement?'

Even that seems a very high bar. Before he was MotM for Spurs on Saturday, I'd been wondering why he, rather than Lavia, wasn't being considered as Chelsea and Liverpool's next best bet if they couldn't get MC. Biss would have run that game yesterday for either team and I'm sure both of them would outpay Spurs in wages.

I'm now watching these videos and considering who looks like Biss did when we first got him: athletic, energetic and obviously talented, but raw and with a lot to learn. The problem with highlights videos is that they'll show you passes, shots and tackles, but won't show you midfielders shielding the ball, playing on the half turn and patrolling the backline.

Howeve, if Dahoud continues to get up to speed and Gilmour continues on his current upwards trajectory, all we need is someone who can keep the ball, play it short in tight spaces and keep up with / take out opponents on the counter attack. We just need a Wilfried Ndidi. (However, not the one who played for Leicester last year).
I was shocked how awful that one was.

I’d seen comments in the past that he was better than Bissouma! On the evidence of last season, the Championship (or lower) is his level.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

However, if Dahoud continues to get up to speed and Gilmour continues on his current upwards trajectory, all we need is someone who can keep the ball, play it short in tight spaces and keep up with / take out opponents on the counter attack. We just need a Wilfried Ndidi. (However, not the one who played for Leicester last year).
Caleba looks like Biss.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Haven’t read every page of this thread but…………

Yousuf Fofana of Monaco???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here