Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who were clubs that voted to expel us from the League?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
99% certain Orient did NOT vote against us. I remember being surprised at the time what with all the fuss over the 4-4 draw. I'm also 99% certain that Middlesborough DID vote against us. That too surprised me as I'd always thought Steve Gibson was one of the better chairmen.

I too would like to know the full list. Call me petty and vindictive but even after all these years I still haven't forgotten the episode and would like to wish a pox on all those who opposed us.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Theo wasnt there then He prob supported someone else at the time another little GOBSHITE bubble

I would think he was Chairman as he was Millwall FC chairman for 8 years from 1997 to 2005 but I cannot find out when in 1997 he took over. As we had agreed to rent The Den in July 1997 I would assume that he was the Chairman who did the deal with Dick Knight. He is now involved with Walton & Hersham and Rymans sponsor the league they are in.

Zeff

Jun 1, 2009
Southwick
I understand Dick & Theo are good friends, hence his visits to the Withdean, so he would not have voted against us

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Ray fury as thugs take over; Brighton 4 Leyton Orient 4. - Free Online Library

So I was mistaken and it was at the 4-3 point not the 3-2 that the attack took place. I seem to remember that penalty took about 5 minutes to take but McDonald took it well thank god!

Also some really pathetic quotes from Barry Hearn in this article. Also I seem to recall Ray being disappointed in chants from Brighton fans about him being "worse than his brother".
I did think at the time that it was harsh as I always rated Deano, not a tough tackling player, but in his pomp, I think he'd fit into Gus's team. But really what I don't think Ray understood what was going on at the club with those quotes. Sure the pitch invasion was stupid but it was a sign of the times and something that highlighted our plight. I don't think Ray Wilkins understood that.

Met Ray a few years later in a bar in Hong Kong, Ray was only interested in the birds I was with and when I mentioned Dean his brother, he said he was shit compared to him. Nice!
Came away thinking Ray was a bit of a wanker. Since then Ray has been very complimentary of us, but I still remember that 4-4 and those quotes. "It will be such a shame if the FA decide to take further action", it was as though he was suggesting we should be thrown out.

After what Hearn said in the quotes the evening after the 4-4, I still think Orient voted us out.

Last edited:

sharpey38

Aug 4, 2011
Denton
Were YOU at the 4-4 game in 1997?

Just remember certain members of the crowd attacked Orient players on the field including "Butch" Wilkins, I think that was his last=-ever League game.

Whatever the rights of your desire for a ground, attacking opposition players on the field, and potentuially crippling them, is a big no-no. That would negate any desire to maximise gate receipts.

one of the fans attacked the ref, up steps wilkins.

That fan was in the argus weeks before saying what a fan he was(he got the craig maskell hattrick ball from the 5-0 game at fans united) and then does that, I remember thinking some fan

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I remember that. It was during the 3-0 defeat on a Tuesday night and some Albion fans leapt from the away terrace down the side of the pitch and into the home terrace behind the goal if my recollection is right

Yep and one of those that did and whom I travelled up to Spotland with now works for the club.

But back on topic I am pretty sure Tranmere Rovers was one of those that voted against us...I am not sure how I remember this but it certainly sticks in my memory.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
We were 2-0 up at half time, then orient went 3-2 up, that's when McGleish did the going down sign to the north stand. Or so my old still functioning brain cells tell me.

It was Carl Griffiths. If EVER there was a case of MISTAKEN identity then that was it. Tho McGleish always seemed to score against us.

But as for THAT game and THOSE gestures it was Carl Griffiths no question.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think you are right. Griffiths and McGleish didn't even look the same, but I guess over the years the mistake has been accepted as fact.

It was Carl Griffiths. If EVER there was a case of MISTAKEN identity then that was it. Tho McGleish always seemed to score against us.

But as for THAT game and THOSE gestures it was Carl Griffiths no question.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here