Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who were clubs that voted to expel us from the League?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Im sure there was a list published all those years ago by the Argus (I think)

I could be wrong but I believe whilst Hearn said we should be kicked out of football after "that" L/O game at the Goldstone I dont think they actually did vote against us. Hearn is a business man and knows the O's get a big away following when we play them.

Seem to recall teams like Rotherham or Rochdale being ones voting against us but it was a long time ago.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm surprised more wasnt made of these scumbags at the time.
Odd, I didn't realise Archer was still making promises at that stage.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
In 1997:

"We have three years to build a new stadium and we have put in a planning application to both the league and the local council and we hope to complete our objective."

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
In 1997:

"We have three years to build a new stadium and we have put in a planning application to both the league and the local council and we hope to complete our objective."

Shame that new stadium ended up being Withdean!

(boy do I not miss that place)

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Seem to recall teams like Rotherham or Rochdale being ones voting against us but it was a long time ago.

Pity if that is true because Rochdale fans were amongst the first to voice support for our cause when things first started going wrong. I read a report in the late 90's of a game at Dale when the Albion fans walked round the pitch, joined their fans in the home stand, sang a few songs together before going back to the away end. It does sound a bit like stopping WWI on Christmas Day for a game of footy but still a nice show of fans solidarity.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Pity if that is true because Rochdale fans were amongst the first to voice support for our cause when things first started going wrong. I read a report in the late 90's of a game at Dale when the Albion fans walked round the pitch, joined their fans in the home stand, sang a few songs together before going back to the away end. It does sound a bit like stopping WWI on Christmas Day for a game of footy but still a nice show of fans solidarity.

I could be COMPLETELY wrong but it was teams you wouldnt expect who did vote against. I may be doing Rochdale a disservice here.

Tho as another pointed out - it was the BOARDS of those clubs NOT the fans who voted.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne

The club and fans are separate, it wasn't the fans that voted against us

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Best left alone now I feel. It wouldn't have been the fans anyway, just the boards who are probably long gone now.

Yes, it was a chairmans vote. But as it was such a long time ago it's probably ok to Speculate as the chairmen have probably long gone. It's still a disgrace that any club voted to throw us out but 17! Huge number.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'd guess mostly teams in the old division 3 who thought there might be financial gain in us not being in the league?

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield

I remember that. It was during the 3-0 defeat on a Tuesday night and some Albion fans leapt from the away terrace down the side of the pitch and into the home terrace behind the goal if my recollection is right

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The club and fans are separate, it wasn't the fans that voted against us

I know that, love him or hate him Sir Alex Ferguson said lots of nice things in support of the Albion, whereas most on here have a healthy dislike for fans of his club.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I seem to recall Millwall being another. Would Ken Brown have been there then or was that well before his time?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
What possible advantage would some of these clubs have if Brighton were expelled? Thats what I find so hard to understand. I'm sure alot of those clubs are now themselves in finacial difficulty, so why vote to expel us? I just don't get it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here