Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Who was your favourite Kent Waltham era all-in wrestler?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Kent Walton. I meant Walton. FFS.

Here's mine. George Kidd.

1690834412711.png

Yours?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Before my time, but I loved The British Bulldog and he wrestled in the World of Sport era - just!

Jul 7, 2003
Kendo Nagasaki, Catweazle, Mick McManus and Giant Haystacks are the four who I always think of. Obviously Big Daddy was around but even as a kid, I could see that his fights were 'wrong' (I know the rest were but you know what I mean).

Of course, Kendo re-entered my life in later years in the chorus of the great Half Man Half Biscuit track Everything's AOR:
"But I can put a tennis racket up against my face
And pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki"

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The thing with Big Daddy is he never lost, and with nothing at stake it’s boring and predictable ie he wins with the big splash, the grannies and kids chant “easy, easy” and everyone goes home happy. Sometimes, just sometimes the heel bad guy needs to beat the blue-eye.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I saw Mick MacManus at The Epsom Derby one year ……. I remember thinking he was a really small fat ****

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I suppose I could start an RIP thread, but it would likely get a lot of 'who's and 'why do can't we just have a single RIP thread...'. Seems people coming to this thread may be more familiar with Adrian Street, who passed away last week.

EDIT; And now I see LR started one earlier.

Last edited:

el punal

Welcome grapple fans to ———— town hall! There in the front row would be the grannies with their head scarves, handbags and brollies ready to pounce on the dirty wrestlers - you know who you are, Mick McManus, Jackie Pallo, Steve Logan!

I have always wanted to know what the hell is a ‘cross buttock’ in wrestling terms? :blush: :drink:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Welcome grapple fans to ———— town hall! There in the front row would be the grannies with their head scarves, handbags and brollies ready to pounce on the dirty wrestlers - you know who you are, Mick McManus, Jackie Pallo, Steve Logan!

I have always wanted to know what the hell is a ‘cross buttock’ in wrestling terms? :blush: :drink:

cross-buttock (plural cross-buttocks)

1. (wrestling) A throw in which the wrestler turns his left side to his opponent, places his left leg across both legs of his opponent, and pulls him forward over his hip.
2. (by extension) An unexpected defeat or repulse.​

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The thing with Big Daddy is he never lost, and with nothing at stake it’s boring and predictable ie he wins with the big splash, the grannies and kids chant “easy, easy” and everyone goes home happy. Sometimes, just sometimes the heel bad guy needs to beat the blue-eye.
Well his brother was often reffing…… :laugh:

Find memories of watching with my nan and grandad who I used to spend Saturdays with when my folks were both working. Nan was one of the grannies who’d scream at the telly if Big Daddy was subject to any cheating by Giant Haystacks

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If I recall correctly, Mick McManus' brother (no relation) was called Mick McMichael.

1690849150832.png

"a connoisseur of antique porcelain". Died at the age of 93: " Even the arrival of his old friend Lord Attenborough failed to lift his spirits, refusing all food and drink until he quietly slipped into a coma three days ago"

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Just thinking about some of the names they used back in the day a young black wrestler known as Kid Chocolate,can you imagine that now?
There's a chap wrestling for AEW called 'Rock Hard Juice Robinson'

It's not quite as charged as Kid Chocolate but certainly not something I'd want a child to wear on a t-shirt.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here