[Music] Who was the first band you saw live.?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
In the 80's and into the 90's I would regularly go to Reggae concerts on a Sunday, usually Brixton Academy, Astoria or Town & Country Club (later changed to The Forum) then see the same concert again on the Monday night down at The Top Rank Suite in Brighton or Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone.

As you say, concerts seemed affordable then. Brilliant times!

Best of all with the Reggae concerts at The Top Rank Suite, support would be by King Tafari Love Muzic Sound System playing roots tunes all night.

I remember being grounded by my Dad. I was 17 , just passed my driving test and promised to be home by midnight as I was using his car. I saw Clint Eastwood and General Saint at the TRS which finished about 11pm but it took me about an hour to get out of the car park. Happy days.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
During 80/81 Sunday night gigs at Jenkinsons were brilliant… Dead Kennedy, Spizz, Killing Joke, Tenpole Tudor, Wah. Apparently Joy Division played there at some point but missed that ?..:cry:

I went to a fair few on Sunday nights at Jenkinsons, wish I kept my ticket stubs because I I can’t remember them all, definitely saw Dead Kennedys, Killing Joke and Tenpole Tudor.
I saw Simple Minds there but they didn’t go down well, U2 also played there but I didn’t go. I don’t remember Joy Division playing there but New Order did.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
First gig - Psycho Normal and his Stiff Victims, St Julians Lane Art Centre (?) Shoreham 1977ish

First known band - Led Zeppelin, Knebworth 1979

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Madness, Finsbury Park, 8 August 1992, supported by Morrissey, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Gallon Drunk and Flowered Up.

I went to that. Morrissey got bottled off, because he dared wave a Union Jack about, there were some right meatheads at that, pissed up madness fans a plenty spoilt it really.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Colosseum / Juicy Lucy. Brighton Dome January 1970. My ears are still ringing from Glenn Fernando Campbell's steel guitar. I don't think I've ever heard anything quite like it since.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Always liked to think it was Joy Division supporting The Buzzcocks 1979 in Birmingham but realised a few months ago my mother took me to see the Basil Brush show live around 1975 which had Lou Rawls and The Dead End Kids on, so the kudos was slightly kicked out of me.:(

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
The Who, summer 1971. I was going to say, in Worthing, but that doesn’t sound possible.

Yes they premiered 'The Who's Next' at The Assembly Hall in 1971. I was there. My friend and I sneaked in, although we had tickets. We watched Keith Moon rehearsing before we got chucked out. Believe me, he didn't need to practice !

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sorry I'm one who believed Queen died when Freddie died

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Well that's an opinion and you're probably not wrong however May and Taylor are brilliant and Lambert is a very good vocalist. They're not trying to recreate Queen as it was, it's billed as Queen and Adam Lambert. If you liked their music you would like the concert. Lambert isn't trying to replicate the vocals of Freddie.

Your choice though but I'd suggest you're missing out.

By the way, that Queen concert at the Brighton Centre remains the best I've ever seen of any group.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Stone Temple Pilots or Jane’s Addiction. One or other. Both great. Probably ‘93

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
No names, no pack drill but there are some acts mentioned on this thread that you’d have had to drag me to. :lolol:

Actually I will mention one - Gary Numan, I’d rather stick red hot needles in my eye :wink:

The 'best' ones I've seen so far: Cliff Richard, closely followed by Little Mix. Brave souls to post!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports