Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Who on here has been to walk past the Queen's coffin?

Have you been to walk past the Queen's coffin?

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The UK is by any measure a grossly unequal society. You can say "whatabout insert-county" as much as you want but it doesn't change that fact. Would getting rid of the royals be an instant fix? Of course not. Just look at the US. However, the monarchy is the class system, inequality and privilege personified. A constant reminder and legistimisation of the fact that some are destined to have a higher status.

The entire world’s become, relatively speaking, very unfair economically over the last 25 years. Look at all the oligarchs who settled in the UK between 1997 and 2010, appropriating Soviet industries by luck, then worth £10b’s, paying next to no tax anywhere. In the UK it’s goes way beyond a few posh people with old money. There are countless new billionaires and millionaires who’ve paid minimal tax. The Panama, Swiss and Liechtenstein leaked documents revealed 10,000’s of tax cheating incredibly wealthy folk living in France, UK and Germany, illegally paying next to no tax. Until then we didn’t know the names, they were craftily out of the public gaze.

You’ll disagree I’m sure, but to me the Windsor’s are a side show.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The entire world’s become, relatively speaking, very unfair economically over the last 25 years. Look at all the oligarchs who settled in the UK between 1997 and 2010, appropriating Soviet industries by luck, then worth £10b’s, paying next to no tax anywhere. In the UK it’s goes way beyond a few posh people with old money. There are countless new billionaires and millionaires who’ve paid minimal tax. The Panama, Swiss and Liechtenstein leaked documents revealed 10,000’s of tax cheating incredibly wealthy folk living in France, UK and Germany, illegally paying next to no tax. Until then we didn’t know the names, they were craftily out of the public gaze.

As I'm sure you can guess, I'm not a big fan of tax-dodging billionaires either, crown or no crown.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
The UK is by any measure a grossly unequal society. You can say "whatabout insert-county" as much as you want but it doesn't change that fact. Would getting rid of the royals be an instant fix? Of course not. Just look at the US. However, the monarchy is the class system, inequality and privilege personified. A constant reminder and legitimisation of the fact that some are destined to have a higher status.

You’ve made your case of what you are against, what are you for?

US/France exec style President, or

Ireland/German style President for ceremonial matters, PM with exec powers.

What’s your preference?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm surprised at you, TB. Of course, through accident of birth, we've been lucky. But why does that mean we can't expect a better society? Just because it's worse elsewhere, British people should accept their lot, tug their forelocks and carry on?

As has been pointed out, over the last 100 years society has improved massively. Women have the vote, are not confined to looking after the home and children.
Many more people are going to university.

100 years ago my family with the exception of my grandfather who worked in a bakery, were farm agriculture workers. Extremely poor. My Dad left school at 14, joined the RN at 15 and got an education becoming a qualified electrician. I went to a Grammar School, my daughter went to university. Both her and my son did the Duke of Edinburgh award schemesright through to gold. He is now in charge of 5 fire stations.
Life has improved under the various monarchs.

As I said before, politicians are the people who make or break society, not monarchy.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As I'm sure you can guess, I'm not a big fan of tax-dodging billionaires either, crown or no crown.

A very interesting stat I read today about 67million of us are at the mercy of 177 billionaires in this country. Look at Parliament not Windsor Castle.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Working in London all week so I saw it all going on and spoke to people in the queue in the morning and evening (as it went past where I work) and on Friday lunchtime I walked to the end in Bermondsey. I would have joined in if I had had the time, but I did not. I wish I could have joined the queue when I was at the back on Wednesday lunchtime near the Royal Festival Hall...

It was a very friendly atmosphere; in Bermondsey people were out from their houses giving water and tea to people queueing; in the morning near Southwark Bridge I saw the police going along the queue saying "good morning" to people and handing out water and some food that nearby restaurants were giving away: it was very positive and life-enhancing and everyone I spoke to in the queue were very acting as if they were on a religious pilgrimage - I think that is the closest analogy. I really loved being in London this week.

IMG_4884.jpegIMG_4904.jpegIMG_4916.jpeg

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
As has been pointed out, over the last 100 years society has improved massively. Women have the vote, are not confined to looking after the home and children.
Many more people are going to university.

100 years ago my family with the exception of my grandfather who worked in a bakery, were farm agriculture workers. Extremely poor. My Dad left school at 14, joined the RN at 15 and got an education becoming a qualified electrician. I went to a Grammar School, my daughter went to university. Both her and my son did the Duke of Edinburgh award schemesright through to gold. He is now in charge of 5 fire stations.
Life has improved under the various monarchs.

As I said before, politicians are the people who make or break society, not monarchy.

Life may have improved under various monarchs but it hasn't improved because of them.

A very interesting stat I read today about 67million of us are at the mercy of 177 billionaires in this country. Look at Parliament not Windsor Castle.

But Windsor castle is home to some of those billionaires and I imagine they're quite pally with a few of the others. They are certainly not part of the solution.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

This.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Yes I have - 14 hours in the queue, but worth it to pay my respects.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’ll give you a perfect example of this country. I’m in the Eurotunnel right now. Just after Boulogne I checked the diesel price at Calais and at home. It was a no brainer.
Calais €1.49 a litre - £57.60 to fill up

Our Prime Minister worked for Shell, refuses to implement a windfall tax, and with her ex stopping free prescriptions for over 60s

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Life may have improved under various monarchs but it hasn't improved because of them.

But Windsor castle is home to some of those billionaires and I imagine they're quite pally with a few of the others. They are certainly not part of the solution.

The Queen is not a billionaire.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Working in London all week so I saw it all going on and spoke to people in the queue in the morning and evening (as it went past where I work) and on Friday lunchtime I walked to the end in Bermondsey. I would have joined in if I had had the time, but I did not. I wish I could have joined the queue when I was at the back on Wednesday lunchtime near the Royal Festival Hall...

It was a very friendly atmosphere; in Bermondsey people were out from their houses giving water and tea to people queueing; in the morning near Southwark Bridge I saw the police going along the queue saying "good morning" to people and handing out water and some food that nearby restaurants were giving away: it was very positive and life-enhancing and everyone I spoke to in the queue were very acting as if they were on a religious pilgrimage - I think that is the closest analogy. I really loved being in London this week.

View attachment 151922View attachment 151923View attachment 151924

Great Post and spot on Sorrel

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I'd go for the Irish model.

How do you appoint and/or elect this ceremonial President?

Do individual’s put themselves forward and running their own campaigns with proprietary funds with an election, or
Are individuals nominated by Parliament and campaigns sponsored by the taxpayer with an election or
Simply appointed by Parliament?

Or other method…….do tell.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
How do you appoint and/or elect this ceremonial President?

Do individual’s put themselves forward and running their own campaigns with proprietary funds with an election, or
Are individuals nominated by Parliament and campaigns sponsored by the taxpayer with an election or
Simply appointed by Parliament?

Or other method…….do tell.

Game of killer in a pub chosen at random every 5 years.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Game of killer in a pub chosen at random every 5 years.

So for all your piss and wind on here about the UK’s deep structural inequality personified by the monarchy, when it actually comes down to what you would replace them with, you offer this……..

it’s one thing telling everyone that we would be fairer if only we twist and not stick, if you can’t explain what the change means you and you fellow sixth form revolutionaries will simply remain a noisy irrelevance.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Just a few pics of the queue yesterday.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 117
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 3.jpg