Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is your favourite ever RIGHT BACK.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I am so surprised that 5 full backs who played for the Albion have not received a mention from the many oldies on here.
There are four internationals who I believe played for their countries when playing for the Albion. Sammy Nelson, Jimmy McGill, Joe Kinnear and Mel Hopkins.
The fifth one was not an international but scored one of the best goals ever seen at the Goldstone and that was Bob McNichol who with his whole family was sadly killed in an air crash in Tenerife

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I am so surprised that 5 full backs who played for the Albion have not received a mention from the many oldies on here.
There are four internationals who I believe played for their countries when playing for the Albion. Sammy Nelson, Jimmy McGill, Joe Kinnear and Mel Hopkins.
The fifth one was not an international but scored one of the best goals ever seen at the Goldstone and that was Bob McNichol who with his whole family was sadly killed in an air crash in Tenerife

Most of these were left-backs.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
One of the worst Crumplin as I told Nobby when he was manager at Oxford and he asked me about our team I said we were weak at full back as one cant run Chapman and the other Crumplin cant tackle, we lost 5-0 all goals by the wingers

So you helped an opposition manager, to ensure that the Albion LOST a game? Well done you.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Bob McNicol was a right-back too.

I know he was, but you said most of the five I named were left backs, I replied only two of them were left backs, Nelson and Hopkins. So yes I agree Bob McNicol was a right back.
I can remember that goal he scored in the FA cup against Burnley from just over the half way line as though it was yesterday. One of the few goals that has stuck in my memory from all those year's ago.

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I know he was, but you said most of the five I named were left backs, I replied only two of them were left backs, Nelson and Hopkins. So yes I agree Bob McNicol was a right back.
and I an remember that goal in FA cup against Burnley from just over the half way line as though it was yesterday. One of the few goals that has stuck in my memory from all those year ago.

Oops, I'm getting muddled this morning! Apologies. Here's an autographed photo of McNicol:

bobmcnicol.jpg

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Another vote for Des "Tank" Tennant, opposing players who tried to shoulder charge him just bounced off and ended up on the ground. As he had previously been a wing forward he was one of the first attacking full backs and a buzz always went up in the crowd when he would charge forward with the ball scattering the opposition as he went.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Part of the reason Kinnear hasn't had a mention here is that he was rubbish for us. I especially remember a Good Friday game in front of a packed-out Den in 1976 when we were in with a decent shout of going up, but Kinnear - allegedly badly hungover - played a desperately poor backpass, Millwall took advantage and ended up winning 3-1 and that was more or less that for promotion. Of course, our failure meant that Peter Taylor resigned, Mullery took over and the rest is history, but still.

The next season Kinnear, having played with Mullery at Spurs, thought he'd ask for a big pay rise and to be made captain. Mullery invited him to go forth and multiply.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here