Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is your favourite ever RIGHT BACK.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
You would certainly wonder what he was doing picking the ball up there if he was playing RB!
I seem to remember a few different RBs tried out while he was around - he wasn't always dropped, just moved around as he was quite versatile. Stuart Tuck & Stuart Myall may have been in the mix for RB at about the same time? Chappers would have still been around too. Seems like a long time ago, yet only yesterday in some respects!

Left midfield that day, which generated plenty of groans. Myall I was convinced was going to go on and become a million pound player and of course I was miles out with that prediction. I think maybe he took things a little for granted, but he fell out of form, played when maybe he should have been rested and never fulfilled his potential.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Gary Stevens?

Used to play right-back on occasion.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If it wasn't for Norman Whiteside, Chris Ramsey would have been the right back everyone at the Albion would have talked about for years. Absolute class.

After him, only Calderon comes close for me.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Chappers for me. *can't remember if he was a LB or RB tbh ??? Senility I tells you :)

Whoa the years have not been kind to you. I can remember Chapman, making a goal line clearance at the Goldstone in front of the North Stand. It was memorable in that he had to pivot through 270 degrees, to clear it with his left foot. A great advert for footballing coaching in this country, in that he was part of an elite chosen at 14 to attend the FAs new football school at Lilleshall. Sadly in two years they never taught him to kick with his right foot. To be fair though, otherwise he was technically sound, for a left back.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Chris Ramsey, if that dirty b*****d Whiteside hadn't done him at Wembley, we would have won the cup, Whiteside should have been sent off, and received a long ban

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Left midfield that day, which generated plenty of groans. Myall I was convinced was going to go on and become a million pound player and of course I was miles out with that prediction. I think maybe he took things a little for granted, but he fell out of form, played when maybe he should have been rested and never fulfilled his potential.

There were quite a few local young players in that era who showed some early promise but came to nowt. Simon Funnell, Phil Andrews (did he have a brother that played for us too - Ben??), Simon Fox... (?)

Then again, there were a few local successes too - Chappers & JCFG (eventually!) being two good examples...

I do like seeing players come through the youth ranks, so I can't wait for the Academy to bear fruit!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMHO it was DesTennant. One of the worst Crumplin as I told Nobby when he was manager at Oxford and he asked me about our team I said we were weak at full back as one cant run Chapman and the other Crumplin cant tackle, we lost 5-0 all goals by the wingers

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Yes, 'Arry was popular but shurely he played on the left?
In the same era the also popular Ken Tiler was on the right, succeeded by a couple of good 'uns: Chris Cattlin and John Gregory.

I seem to remember several games where he played on the right ...........but harry was never where he was supposed to be anyway very underrated player

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
John Gregory, Gary Stevens, Gary Chivers
Also good shout earlier for Kevan Brown who never received many plaudits in his career but solid right back

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Harry Wilson
maybe not the best but plenty of personality

Good steady player,signed from Burnley I think................played on left though.
Stewart Henderson,probably my favourite.Had legs like tree trunks.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I do love Calde, but, but, sorry Calde, it has to be Peter Smith. The enjoyment I got as his long legs launched another head-down foray down the wing has rarely been rivalled in a football stadium

But, but, but... he was terrible wasn't he? I remember an away match at Fulham when the home fans were laughing every time he got the ball. He did go on those crazy runs but he was out of his depth as a defender.

Agree with the Keiron O'Regan comments - very under-rated player. And Harry Wilson was definitely primarily a left-back. Don't have many memories of him, but wasn't he a bit of a dirty player - certainly not afraid of chopping down the odd opposing forward.

If Wilson's 'allowed' I'm definitely going for Gary Stevens, who wore the number two shirt often enough and was quality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here